Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front brake pads what are people using?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Hades

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Petaling Jaya
Re: Front brake pads what are people using?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
I am using EBC HH front and rear. Front has a slight noise when braking. I dont mind it as I know its biting the disc when I press the brakes.

Good biting grip in dry and wet. Happy with this product.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
I have been thinking about why some of you are changing brake pads (mostly front) ...obviously if the OEM ones are worn to the point where they are no longer functioning effectively then I can understand...however if the OEM pads have been satisfactory why would you choose another make/brand/type  :question:   

I find that my OEM pads are more than up to the task of hauling me up and  would be happy to replace them, when required, with the same again....just saying    :002: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I have been thinking about why some of you are changing brake pads (mostly front) ...obviously if the OEM ones are worn to the point where they are no longer functioning effectively then I can understand...however if the OEM pads have been satisfactory why would you choose another make/brand/type  :question:   

I find that my OEM pads are more than up to the task of hauling me up and  would be happy to replace them, when required, with the same again....just saying    :002:

I can't speak for others but I am spoiled by sport bike brakes where you can lift the rear wheel with 1 finger on the front lever...(Brembo radial MC for example) this is just what I am accustomed  to so in comparison, the stock fronts on this bike feel very weak. ..dont get me wrong, they are mostly fine for this bike and they will stop it , but I prefer brakes that are much more powerful and offer more feel through the lever

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »

I changed mine long before they were worn because (in my opinion) the OEM pads were not satisfactory. EBC HH, while not perfect, are (again in my opinoin) far superior in feel, control and stopping power. I knew the rear OEM was a joke when I found I could not lock the rear wheel (or trigger the ABS) even on a loose downhill gravel surface (my driveway). Decent pads helped a lot, but I am beginning to wonder if the discs themselves need upgrading.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
I agree with your comments about the rear brake Paul, it is pretty dismal...mind you so was the rear brake on my GTR 1400., maybe its a Kawasaki trait :002: 

Roger (Rog)

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:53:10 PM »
Paul, maybe you have a problem with the caliper!!!!!!! :027:.  My rear brake is very good, and I can make the ABS work no trouble at all.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »
Hey Geoff,  funny you should say that as I seem to recall we had this topic of conversation whilst out on a ride some time ago and back then you said your rear brake was good.....mine just isn't  that good and I have adjusted the pedal  to a more suitable position for me  :notsure: 

What size feet have got BTW   :question:       :4:   

Roger (Rog)

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
Hey Geoff,  funny you should say that as I seem to recall we had this topic of conversation whilst out on a ride some time ago and back then you said your rear brake was good.....mine just isn't  that good and I have adjusted the pedal  to a more suitable position for me  :notsure: 

What size feet have got BTW   :question:       :4:
They  are very  tiny  Rog 10 n half  :4:    I find that it is important  to make an effort in setting the pedal up correctly. But more than anything it is essential  that  the  caliper is kept really  clean, and the pistons are free to do their job. I strip and  clean  my calipers about once a month.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
.... I strip and  clean  my calipers about once a month.
And I thought I was obsessive  :goggle: A question for you; If your brakes are so good, why do you feel the need to strip and clean them every month? 

The caliper is fine (or at least adequate), as evidenced by the fact that new pads in the same caliper significantly improved the braking. There maybe a QC issue or a break-in problem with the OEM pads if yours are great while Tykes and mine are not. Adjusting the pedal helps with subtle control, but with the OEM pads, I had no control or feel, subtle or otherwise. I was taught on bikes with drum brakes, and even then you still had to pretend your testicle was between your foot and the pedal to prevent locking the rear. I have pumped the pedal and still been un-able to lock.

Edit:- You have got me thinking now... Could there be an issue with the ABS controller that prevents sufficient force from being transmitted to the rear caliper? I wonder how you would test it?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:07:27 PM by Paul_Smith »

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
Paul your last post made me chuckle as it reminded me of riding my 1972 Kawasaki H1b Triple which had a Disc brake up front and a trusty drum on the rear, WOW !   the advertising blurb claimed ' a disc up front' ...... It was bloody useless and the best way to stop the damned thing was to use the rear drum brake  :008: 

Interestingly the next generation (H1c 1973) reverted back to a drum brake up front...humm...scratches chin ....   I wonder why that was  :008:   

Interesting point about the ABS controller  :notsure:   

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics