Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Signal Dynamics headlight modulator  (Read 391 times)

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
Signal Dynamics headlight modulator
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:46 AM »
Hey folks,

I just wanted y'all to know that I recently installed a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator on my 2015 V1K. The one I bought was this one: http://www.signaldynamics.com/plug-play-headlight-module-european-dual-h7-harness-adapter/ - it includes both the modulator unit itself, as well as the wiring harness. Totally plug and play. Works like a charm.

For anyone who's interested in doing the same, there are a few things to note:

• These bikes use a pair of EURO H7 bulbs, not JAPANESE H7 bulbs. Everything is the same about the two variants of H7 bulbs except the connector pin spacing. But if you order the Japanese variant H7 (or anything which has to fit them, like a modulator!), it won't fit the installed bulbs
  • You will need to cut a hole in the rubber moisture seal which goes round the back of each bulb. If you're careful, it's easy to do, and doesn't seem to open it up too much for water incursion
  • The harness comes with two connectors for high beam and two for low beam. Since we only need one of each, you can either cut off the ones you don't need or just tape them out of the way
  • I ended up drilling a small hole in the plastic piece next to the windshield, to ensure that the light sensor is facing upwards, otherwise it only seems to work in sunny weather

I'll post pics if anyone wants to see how I did it. A 30-minute job, and now I have modulated (flashing) headlights. Of course, it's still only one light for low-beam (right) and a separate light for high-beam (left) - in normal mode, the low-beam modulates, and when you turn on your high-beams, the low-beam light stays on constantly and only the high-beam light flashes.

If anyone wants to know, headlight modulators are completely legal across all 50 states in the US and across Canada (per federal law: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, section 10.17.5 https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108). No idea about legality in UK or AUS/NZ.

Offline peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
Re: Signal Dynamics headlight modulator
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »
I can't see how this could be legal in the EU and rightfully so.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
People say that it makes you more visible..I had a buddy with one on his Victory and it did make you take notice..so I can see where they would be beneficial.

let us know how you get on with it after a few rides.. like if it helps people stop pulling out in front of you..:)

Offline senpai71

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
People say that it makes you more visible..I had a buddy with one on his Victory and it did make you take notice..so I can see where they would be beneficial.

let us know how you get on with it after a few rides.. like if it helps people stop pulling out in front of you..:)

It seems to have made some difference, but still not as great as on my previous bike (a Triumph Sprint ST). I really think it's because the Kawi headlight is so much higher than the Triumph headlight - the Sprint headlight was exactly the right height to be seen by drivers in their wing mirrors. I'm going to add some Skene Design Photon Blaster lights on the front forks to see if that helps with visibility...

Recent Topics

waggish