Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radial Calipers on V1  (Read 4291 times)

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Re: Radial Calipers on V1
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
my brakes on V1 are ok, but not great. the rear brake is wooden. I use it sparingly but would like it to give a firmer feel and get more of a sense that it is actually braking.  I fitted HEL braided lines, and in the front, the EBC extreme pads, but haven't noticed much improvement, so I hope that Brembo radial MC together with Motul synthetic brake fluid will make some difference.  On the other hand, the brakes on Vulcan S are excellent without any modifications. being a cruiser, it allows using the rear brake more which is as strong as the front.
Yes, but are your demands on the Vulcan's brakes a lot less than you are asking of the ones on the Versys, IE less weight, and less speed :question:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Yes, but are your demands on the Vulcan's brakes a lot less than you are asking of the ones on the Versys, IE less weight, and less speed :question:

yes, there is that, the weight difference, but if you have a pillion the Vulcan becomes heavier than V1 and still brakes better. speed does not come so much into the equation, since how fast can you ride on regular roads?  maybe the difference in geometry plays some role, the vulcan is better planted on the ground, lower center of gravity.

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
yes, there is that, the weight difference, but if you have a pillion the Vulcan becomes heavier than V1 and still brakes better. speed does not come so much into the equation, since how fast can you ride on regular roads?  maybe the difference in geometry plays some role, the vulcan is better planted on the ground, lower center of gravity.

Yup, weight matters but it all comes down to the quality of the parts and if they are up to the job at hand......my Sportster did not stop well at all with stock brakes....its about 30lbs lighter than the V yet it couldn't  even come close to the braking distance of the V... $1200.00 and a few hours labor and it stops on a dime now...Its also much more fun to ride  so that was money well spent in my opinion

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Yup, weight matters but it all comes down to the quality of the parts and if they are up to the job at hand......my Sportster did not stop well at all with stock brakes....its about 30lbs lighter than the V yet it couldn't  even come close to the braking distance of the V... $1200.00 and a few hours labor and it stops on a dime now...Its also much more fun to ride  so that was money well spent in my opinion

Crosshairs,
did you notice any difference with the Galfer rear disc rotor?  I will be soon installing the new rotors and am wondering if to keep the Galfer's rear rotor as spare and fit it in the future.  The old one is still in good shape and I would not think that changing it would make any noticeable difference?  In this type of bikes, the rear brake is just an assistant brake, and cannot really stop the bike.

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
Crosshairs,
did you notice any difference with the Galfer rear disc rotor?  I will be soon installing the new rotors and am wondering if to keep the Galfer's rear rotor as spare and fit it in the future.  The old one is still in good shape and I would not think that changing it would make any noticeable difference?  In this type of bikes, the rear brake is just an assistant brake, and cannot really stop the bike.

I dont recall noticing any discernible difference between the stock rear and the Galfer rear,but I use the rear brake  only enough to settle the suspension in turns , if you have similar habits, he stock rear is more than enough 

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I dont recall noticing any discernible difference between the stock rear and the Galfer rear,but I use the rear brake  only enough to settle the suspension in turns , if you have similar habits, he stock rear is more than enough

Thank you.  So I will just change, for now, the front rotors plus MC and keep the rear Galfer's as spare, or change it when my rear tire gets worn out.  I just fitted at the back new EBC V-pads so will I let them run their course. I will also change the brake fluid to Motul synthetic as it has higher boiling temperature point.

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
Don't forget the other part of the radial brakes equation - the master cylinder!  I switched to a radial master cylinder on my Triumph Thunderbird, and had a great improvement in ease of lever pull.  The stock brake had a wooden feel under heavy braking which was OK when it was stock, but having a supercharger on it put it at the wrong end of what it was designed for (imagine the forces involved a 720lb cruiser that's almost as fast as a sports bike).  The radial MC brought it back to where the braking was much more manageable.  Basically, the fulcrum part of the lever has a way of  of compressing the piston so that the feel is much more linear, and the lever stays much easier to pull throughout the range.  Modulation is much easier if you spend a lot of time with the lever close to the bar, with a relatively easy pull right up to lock-up. 

edit - I just noticed you are switching to a radial MC.  Have no fear, your eyes will pop out of their sockets, lol...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:28:41 PM by fasteddie »
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by fasteddie [+]
Don't forget the other part of the radial brakes equation - the master cylinder!  I switched to a radial master cylinder on my Triumph Thunderbird, and had a great improvement in ease of lever pull.  The stock brake had a wooden feel under heavy braking which was OK when it was stock, but having a supercharger on it put it at the wrong end of what it was designed for (imagine the forces involved a 720lb cruiser that's almost as fast as a sports bike).  The radial MC brought it back to where the braking was much more manageable.  Basically, the fulcrum part of the lever has a way of  of compressing the piston so that the feel is much more linear, and the lever stays much easier to pull throughout the range.  Modulation is much easier if you spend a lot of time with the lever close to the bar, with a relatively easy pull right up to lock-up.

yes, absolutely! I got the MC radial Brembo RCS19, with the reservoir mount kit and I cannot wait to install it! 

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by fasteddie [+]
The stock brake had a wooden feel under heavy braking which was OK when it was stock, but having a supercharger on it put it at the wrong end of what it was designed for (imagine the forces involved a 720lb cruiser that's almost as fast as a sports bike).

I can relate to that....try stopping a turbo sportster with stock brakes..:)

Offline fasteddie

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Grey
  • City / Town: suffolk cty, NY
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
Havn't figured out how to post pics, but mine is the green one in the photo gallery in the link, in drag bike guise rearsets and all...  It has been changed back to stock t-bird storm look now.
http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/single-post/2017/03/09/Triumph-Thunderbird-161700

Loving that sportster by the way!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:35:31 PM by fasteddie »
1974 suzuki ts185 enduro ('the grey one')
1981 kawasaki kz750, 1992 suzuki gsxr1100,
2006 Hayabusa, 2006 Multistrada 1000,
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm supercharged

Recent Topics