Top Posters Today

Keener Keener
3 Posts
Sonny Sonny
3 Posts
uralrob
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Straight Metal Tyre Valves  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Re: Straight Metal Tyre Valves
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
angled stems do not cause an imbalance in the wheel at speed...take a walk down to the paddock if your ever at a professional bike race and almost all of the bikes will be sporting angled stems.... ( on the front wheel anyway)
I swear some of you guys need to get out more.

As the wheel is balanced with the valve then  of course there are no balance issues and so you are correct.

However, I believe the point being made is that the mass of the valve that is at 90 degrees exerts a force  which may or may not cause a stress fracture at the knuckle.  I'm happy with the theory even if I'm not convinced by the numbers.

TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
angled stems do not cause an imbalance in the wheel at speed...take a walk down to the paddock if your ever at a professional bike race and almost all of the bikes will be sporting angled stems.... ( on the front wheel anyway)
I swear some of you guys need to get out more.

no issues with angled stems  .....as well they are the way to go, and btw when you get your tires balanced properly any stem will work .. :015:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
Angled stems for me when I get tyres changed next time...I'm p*ssed off with struggling to get air in the tyres  :125:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
As the wheel is balanced with the valve then  of course there are no balance issues and so you are correct.

However, I believe the point being made is that the mass of the valve that is at 90 degrees exerts a force  which may or may not cause a stress fracture at the knuckle.  I'm happy with the theory even if I'm not convinced by the numbers.
TB

perhaps I misunderstood this post, but it seems like this person was suggesting that there will be  balance issue with an angled stem

*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
Moreover, the weight is applied on one side of the wheel and I guess it may produce balancing problems.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
perhaps I misunderstood this post, but it seems like this person was suggesting that there will be  balance issue with an angled stem
Yes, that was what I meant. It seems I was wrong.

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
The straight stems are a definite knuckle buster. I keep looking for a good 90 degree air hose coupling, so as to leave that 90 on the compressor in the garage.

I have an excellent calibrated gauge from Jaco Superior, but its 45 degree angled head is a nuisance as well...  :33:

What would fill the bill is a high quality 90deg air hose head with an accurate gauge built in. It's out there somewhere.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 06:07:57 PM »
I must confess I don't have a problem with the straight valves, but both my air hose connector and pressure gauge are angled  :027:

Recent Topics