Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Future  (Read 344 times)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
The Future
« on: February 24, 2018, 04:03:46 PM »
From another thread:

*Originally Posted by fasteddie [+]
...I think the ideal motorcycle would weigh as much as my bicycle, make about 200 hp, be controlled by my mind, have force field protection, and sound like an angry formula one car (but only when I want it to).  ARE YOU LISTENING KAWASAKI!?   :celebrate:

Been sitting here looking out at the rain and thinking how fast motorcycles have evolved. The bikes I drooled over as a kid -- '60s British twins, the Sportster, things like the X-6 Hustler seemed like perfected, state-of-the-art machines. It was hard to see where they could go from there to be any better. We see today's bikes the same way.

Progress hasn't been as fast as Moore's Law for computers, where speed and capacity doubles every 2 years in a logarithmic ramp up, but I expect a big jump for motorcycles in the next few years, and the trend looks more and more like electric bikes. It's surprising how many mfgrs are staking a claim before the tech is as practical as gas power. It is a risky niche market still and a money loser, but I think there is a nervousness about getting left behind. When HD, for chrissakes, is putting resources into an electric bike, that tells you a lot.

I am guessing that 5, at most 10 years from now all the things we think we want in a motorcycle will be forgotten, and gasoline will be unaffordable if not illegal in new bikes.

Electric motors will be much more powerful compact and efficient. Batteries will be smaller, lighter, cheaper and with much more charge capacity. Regenerative braking will get better and better at recovering the energy spent accelerating. Digital control of the whole system will be advanced and hands-off for the rider.

We will ride lightweight bikes with low CG that will have tire-shredding torque at any speed, twist-n-go 1-speed direct drive with no transmission, and they will run for 5 or 6 hours and then fully recharge in 15 or 20 minutes while we rest our butts and have a coffee or a snack. And then we will be off again.

For all we know, tire mgfrs will have compounds that stick to water, sand and slime by some clever molecular trick. The point is, we don't know what we don't know about what we want. Looking back, we never did know. I mean, we wanted "better brakes" but did we want floating disks and multi-piston calipers with ABS and traction control, or linked braking systems? We didn't know to want it.

The question of what to do with the vast internal combustion fleet will be addressed as environmental problems keep increasing. My guess is, old vehicles will be adapted by using electrolysis to crack water into hydrogen and oxygen right onboard and burn it in the old gasoline engines. Which, that will become a cult in itself, with many riders rejecting electric power to run their old Versys', Bonnevilles and Electra-Glides with a little bolt-on water cracking package hidden in the fuel tank. Just because we can... and we like the vibration and rumble... and the wrenching... :007:  :123A:

Okay, that's enough daydreaming. Can't ride, gotta do something.  :7:

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Admin

• Forum Administrator
  • Versys Pro
  • City / Town: London
Re: The Future
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »
Interesting thoughts, I hope it gets better but this could be motorcycle utopia right here and now.   :2:

Lets make the most of it while we can  :152:

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Lets make the most of it while we can  :152:

We're all doing our best, eh?   :celebrate:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
Sonny......

You are brilliant     :4:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »
Roger, people who know me best call me a dumbass with typing skills. And that, sir, is a hazardous combination.  :124:  :015:

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 09:53:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Roger, people who know me best call me a dumbass with typing skills. And that, sir, is a hazardous combination.  :124:  :015:f

Those people don't know you well enough Sonny   :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline TheShoe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Orange LT
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 05:40:22 AM »
Sonny, you got my attention when you mentioned the Suzuki X-6.  My first ride was on a '67 Hustler that I took in the spring of 1970 with a friend on his X-6 Scrambler (high pipes).  We were freshmen in college and when I saw his X-6 I said that's exactly what I want. He told me he knew a guy selling one so we went there the next weekend and bought it for $300. Money I made the previous summer was burning a hole in my pocket. I had no idea what I had at the time but gawd I had fun riding that 250cc 2-cycle "wing-dinging" everywhere I went and spewing blue smoke in front of everything in my wake.

I saw a custom X-6 at the "Garage Brewed Moto Show" in the Rhinegeist Brewery in Cincinnati a few weeks ago.  It was the first time I was able to show my son the infamous T120 X-6 in person, "the first production motorcycle in the world with a 6-speed transmission".

I've been having similar thoughts to yours as well.  I never dreamed that electric cars would take off like they have. Modern technology has been screaming in fast forward. Even alternative fuels and oils
have been surprising. I wouldn't begin to guess what we'll be driving and riding in ten years.
2015 Versys 1000 LT
2006 Z750S "Black Kwak"
1974 Suzuki GT185 (Cafe build in progress)

In Cherokee, there are 7 directions:  north, south, east, west, up, down, and where you are.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
Ah, Mr. Shoe, another X-6 survivor!   :015:

Me I never rode one, and based on my abilities in those days, that was surely a good thing.  :107: :015:

I did have a buddy with 2-stroke Suzuki 120, I think it was a B100. Got in some early riding on that, without any mishap.  :020:

Recent Topics

waggish