Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hyperpro Front Springs air gap  (Read 601 times)

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Re: Hyperpro Front Springs air gap
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
I'm sure you could work it out if you wanted to if you know the number of extra coils, spring wire diameter and coil diameter and convert that volume to oil height difference within your forks.

However, you've got quite a bit of latitude in oil height before it actually affects the handling. In any event with progressive springs the spring will probably go super strong way before the air gap has any impact. So I wouldn't worry too much

TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Pickaxe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys GT
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:42:21 PM »
I can see this developing into a mega thread :002:
2017 BMW R1200RT LE
2015 Blue Triumph 1050 Sprint GT

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
I'm sure you could work it out if you wanted to if you know the number of extra coils, spring wire diameter and coil diameter and convert that volume to oil height difference within your forks.

However, you've got quite a bit of latitude in oil height before it actually affects the handling. In any event with progressive springs the spring will probably go super strong way before the air gap has any impact. So I wouldn't worry too much

TB

Topbox, thanks. Yes, you probably are right.

Online Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
I received an email from Hyperpro headquarters, they say '110mm' gap, which is not much more than stock.  It is a bit surprising as, from another forum I saw, the air gap with H springs was suggested much larger than OEM.
You are doing it again. You are questioning the advice that the expert gave directly to you because of something someone somewhere might or might not have said. Why do you do that? If Hyperpro tell you that the airgap for their springs is 110mm, who in the world do you think might actually know any better than them? 

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
You are doing it again. You are questioning the advice that the expert gave directly to you because of something someone somewhere might or might not have said. Why do you do that? If Hyperpro tell you that the airgap for their springs is 110mm, who in the world do you think might actually know any better than them?

it is not a matter of knowing things better.  I was surprised, that's all.

it is you who are doing 'it' again.  I am getting tired of dealing with such autocratic, know-it-all nonsense.   you could benefit from becoming a nicer person.   

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 04:32:15 PM »
it is not a matter of knowing things better.  I was surprised, that's all.

it is you who are doing 'it' again.  I am getting tired of dealing with such autocratic, know-it-all nonsense.   you could benefit from becoming a nicer person.   

Paul might have a few faults but being wrong isn't one of them  :whistle: :whistle:

Kris, thats what I say to the carving knife when I want her to shut up " yes love your probably right"  :2:

TB
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:34:18 PM by Topbox »
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Paul might have a few faults but being wrong isn't one of them  :whistle: :whistle:

Kris, thats what I say to the carving knife when I want her to shut up " yes love your probably right"  :2:

TB

Yes, I know and I highly respect his expertise.  but is all the antagonism really necessary?  I try to be respectful to everyone, but it is in my nature to question things as well, but then I get all that negative feedbacks. 

Hyperpro makes great springs, according to most, but this does not mean that they care about the details in regards to every bike.  They even refused to tell me the viscosity of their oil - this is highly unprofessional. 

by the way, since I am working in a psychological field (more or less) I made some observations. I have been contemplated how some of the forum-communities are formed.  it is like a small society or a gang of internet buddies.  among many categories, there are those who tell everyone what to do and what is right; it is common that they themselves do not ask any questions because this would make them feel like they lose authority. then, there are those who know as much, or possibly more but hate to get into argument with other people, so they prefer to be in the background.  then, there are those who like to please the 'leaders'  (lick their bottom) and they would do anything to fit in and feel accepted.  and then there those who like me, present themselves as newbies and among these ones, some accept everything without any filtering, while few of them question things.

Most of us do not know each other personally - this is a fact.  If you met some of the members, you might have loved them or avoided their company at any cost.  Some of us are very young, or others (like me) not so young.  basically, what I am trying to say is that due to the anonymous nature of that interaction, care must be taken even more to respect other fellows, and not doing internet bullying like people do when they feel safe to express their frustration behind their laptops.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:04:25 PM by kris »

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »
Well said Kris.  :028:

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Air gap as I understand it, does not have to be a constant.  I think an optimal gap is chosen to work well without any negative side effects (or affects, I get confused on that one). 

I think... the gap can be incresed to get a less progressive rise in compression and maybe more travel (with the added risk of bottoming out at the extreme) . Less gap for just the opposite. 

There is a way to measure the maximum travel of the fork and use that to calculate or assume what the maximum gap should be. 
Maybe somebody has a more precise explanation.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
Yes, I know and I highly respect his expertise.  but is all the antagonism really necessary?  I try to be respectful to everyone, but it is in my nature to question things as well, but then I get all that negative feedbacks. 

Hyperpro makes great springs, according to most, but this does not mean that they care about the details in regards to every bike.  They even refused to tell me the viscosity of their oil - this is highly unprofessional. 

by the way, since I am working in a psychological field (more or less) I made some observations. I have been contemplated how some of the forum-communities are formed.  it is like a small society or a gang of internet buddies.  among many categories, there are those who tell everyone what to do and what is right; it is common that they themselves do not ask any questions because this would make them feel like they lose authority. then, there are those who know as much, or possibly more but hate to get into argument with other people, so they prefer to be in the background.  then, there are those who like to please the 'leaders'  (lick their bottom) and they would do anything to fit in and feel accepted.  and then there those who like me, present themselves as newbies and among these ones, some accept everything without any filtering, while few of them question things.

Most of us do not know each other personally - this is a fact.  If you met some of the members, you might have loved them or avoided their company at any cost.  Some of us are very young, or others (like me) not so young.  basically, what I am trying to say is that due to the anonymous nature of that interaction, care must be taken even more to respect other fellows, and not doing internet bullying like people do when they feel safe to express their frustration behind their laptops.

Welcome to the world of forums kris   :2:   

I have experienced most if not all the scenarios that you mention over many years of many different forums and still do on the 6 or so forums that I am active on.

It's a bit like seeing a programme on T.V that you don't like, ...................there's always the 'off' button on the remote    :173:   

Most forums though do offer great help and good advice on a variety of topics, this is one of the better ones IMHO  :002:   
You preach what you need to hear

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics

waggish