Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hyperpro Front Springs air gap  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
Re: Hyperpro Front Springs air gap
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
Yes, I know and I highly respect his expertise.  but is all the antagonism really necessary?  I try to be respectful to everyone, but it is in my nature to question things as well, but then I get all that negative feedbacks. 

Hyperpro makes great springs, according to most, but this does not mean that they care about the details in regards to every bike.  They even refused to tell me the viscosity of their oil - this is highly unprofessional. 

by the way, since I am working in a psychological field (more or less) I made some observations. I have been contemplated how some of the forum-communities are formed.  it is like a small society or a gang of internet buddies.  among many categories, there are those who tell everyone what to do and what is right; it is common that they themselves do not ask any questions because this would make them feel like they lose authority. then, there are those who know as much, or possibly more but hate to get into argument with other people, so they prefer to be in the background.  then, there are those who like to please the 'leaders'  (lick their bottom) and they would do anything to fit in and feel accepted.  and then there those who like me, present themselves as newbies and among these ones, some accept everything without any filtering, while few of them question things.

Most of us do not know each other personally - this is a fact.  If you met some of the members, you might have loved them or avoided their company at any cost.  Some of us are very young, or others (like me) not so young.  basically, what I am trying to say is that due to the anonymous nature of that interaction, care must be taken even more to respect other fellows, and not doing internet bullying like people do when they feel safe to express their frustration behind their laptops.
Kris, what you say about forums is true, but there is another category of member that you didn't mention. There are the interlopers who stroll through a forum with no regard for conventions. Such members tend to generate strong antagonism in their wake and are usually not aware why. You keep saying you are curious about things and are happy to question them, and that is a good thing, as far as it goes. But the convention around here is that evidence trumps rumor and expertise trumps guessing, and whether or not you are aware of it, that is a convention that you repeatedly ignore. I am not an expert and I am not always right, but I can usually give the reasons why I think something is a certain way, and if you or someone else can show better reasons why it should be different, then I am happy (ish) to change my views.

Offline mikep

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Satsuma 2015
  • City / Town: Lafayette, LA
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 06:04:28 PM »
What about the air gap. 

Enough with the perceived communication gap.

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 07:19:08 AM »
Hi Kris,

The correct gap for your exact springs is precisely 118 mm.

Best,
Peter

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
So I have disassembled the forks and set up the recommended by Hyperpro air gap.  But there is a point of confusion.  At which distance in mm from the top of the rod should the piston rod nut be fixed??  I checked in one of the forks, and it was around 13.5mm.  I have forgotten to check the other fork.  The manual is really very vague about this point, and I am fitting the forks tomorrow.  I would really appreciate some advice here!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:45:13 PM by kris »

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
So I have disassembled the forks and set up the recommended by Hyperpro air gap.  But there is a point of confusion.  At which distance in mm from the top of the rod should the piston rod nut be fixed??  I checked in one of the forks, and it was around 13.5mm.  I have forgotten to check the other fork.  The manual is really very vague about this point, and I am fitting the forks tomorrow.  I would really appreciate some advice here!

Screw the nut as far down the damper rod as you can. Then, screw the fork top on the damper rod as far as you can. Then, screw the nut up the rod and nip it against the for top to lock it onto the damper rod.

TB  :028: :028:
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Paeonia lactiflora

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Etten leur
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 11:08:57 PM »
hi guys
Some serious advice(as one of hyperpro users and dealer)

The airgap advice is just for what it is.
These are based on the fact of average that most riders experience as good ( it has a direct influence on damping)
less makes stiffer and more makes softer.
The main function of the  spring is to push the bike back up(the weight of the bike and the rider)in neutral
and that the airgap is nothing more than a cushion(building up air pressure inside when going down)you need for a certain control
The oil is for damping and there for different thickness gives you also different reaction time
You can adjust this by using the re-bound screw
but be carefull.
Hyperpro uses SAE as a reference but most motorcycle brands gives you a advice in ISO
Kawa uses a oil whit a thickness of only 5(iso) and that is much thinner than the oil that is provided.
It is there for my experience that the hyperpro oil gives you to much stiffness(to slow to follow a bumpy road) and i chanced for my self
I prefer comfort instead a super bike feeling
But that is to find out and if needed to adjust whit some thinner oil.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:11:26 PM by Paeonia lactiflora »

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 01:10:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Screw the nut as far down the damper rod as you can. Then, screw the fork top on the damper rod as far as you can. Then, screw the nut up the rod and nip it against the for top to lock it onto the damper rod.

TB  :028: :028:

Topbox, thanks a lot!

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 01:35:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paeonia lactiflora [+]
hi guys
Some serious advice(as one of hyperpro users and dealer)

The airgap advice is just for what it is.
These are based on the fact of average that most riders experience as good ( it has a direct influence on damping)
less makes stiffer and more makes softer.
The main function of the  spring is to push the bike back up(the weight of the bike and the rider)in neutral
and that the airgap is nothing more than a cushion(building up air pressure inside when going down)you need for a certain control
The oil is for damping and there for different thickness gives you also different reaction time
You can adjust this by using the re-bound screw
but be carefull.
Hyperpro uses SAE as a reference but most motorcycle brands gives you a advice in ISO
Kawa uses a oil whit a thickness of only 5(iso) and that is much thinner than the oil that is provided.
It is there for my experience that the hyperpro oil gives you to much stiffness(to slow to follow a bumpy road) and i chanced for my self
I prefer comfort instead a super bike feeling
But that is to find out and if needed to adjust whit some thinner oil.

I was told by one of the Hyperpro guys that their 10W fluid is 15 viscosity at 40C.  I am not sure if this is true as they were pretty reluctant to provide this information.  It is not sure where they source their fork fluids.  Personally, I am filling my forks with 5W Motul synthetic, which has similar specifications to the stock oil, and should last longer.  If this one is too thick, I will try 2.5W in the future.

Do you think that too much stiffness can be resolved with thinner oil, or this is just the nature of these springs?  Rebound damping is mostly about how fast the springs come back from their compressed position.  Even though, rebound damping has some influence on compression damping, so turning the damper adjuster a few turns more could theoretically soften the suspension, but I have no idea if this is true.

More air gap makes the front softer as air is compressible, but too little oil can have some adverse effects.  On the other hand, too small of a gap can create stress on the seals.  I have recently reduced radically the air gap in one of my old bikes as the springs were too soft and the bike was front diving far too much.  This worked as a temporary solution, but I will put stiffer springs in the future.

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »
Kris,

Rebound damping and compression damping are completely independent systems and one does not affect the other. Badly set up rebound can make the bike feel very hard which is often interpreted as being caused by compression damping.

With progressive  springs normal SAG measurements do not apply. So, before changing the oil to make it softer try backing off the pre load completely i.e fully anti clockwise.

TB

Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Kris,
Rebound damping and compression damping are completely independent systems and one does not affect the other...

Recent Topics

waggish