Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hyperpro Front Springs air gap  (Read 602 times)

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Hyperpro Front Springs air gap
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
I got the front springs from Hyperpro and am going to install them soon.  Anyone has information how much air gap is specified?  Since the springs are progressive, so I assume the air gap needs to be bigger since the progressive part takes more space.  I am not sure how the air/oil ratio works in front forks.  The air works as springs too, but so should the oil. 

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
Re: Hyperpro Front Springs air gap
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
air gap is a byproduct of oil height...set the oil height to the proper spec, and the height to the top is  what your air gap is ...if you want more air gap, you use less oil.

honestly though, I would just go with what oil height  Hyper Pro specifies... they know a bit about their springs

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:52:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
air gap is a byproduct of oil height...set the oil height to the proper spec, and the height to the top is  what your air gap is ...if you want more air gap, you use less oil.

honestly though, I would just go with what oil height  Hyper Pro specifies... they know a bit about their springs

yes, oil hight is measured by the remaining air gap.  i will need to contact them.  to stock is around 108mm, so I suppose that with H spring, the gap would be around 120mm.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
yes, oil hight is measured by the remaining air gap.  i will need to contact them.  to stock is around 108mm, so I suppose that with H spring, the gap would be around 120mm.
Why?

What makes you think the gap would change? And what makes you think it would change by 12mm?

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
Why?

What makes you think the gap would change? And what makes you think it would change by 12mm?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it would be 120mm, but I am not sure. The reason for gap change is that the progressive part of the spring takes up more space, so more oil is pushed up; hence, hyperpro instructions take this under consideration.

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it would be 120mm, but I am not sure. The reason for gap change is that the progressive part of the spring takes up more space, so more oil is pushed up; hence, hyperpro instructions take this under consideration.
You have me confused now. The hyperpro instructions tell you to account for the extra volume of the progressive part of the spring, but don't tell you by how much? That doesn't seem very professional of them. You did know that the air gap is set and adjusted before the springs are mounted, not after? 

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:51:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
You have me confused now. The hyperpro instructions tell you to account for the extra volume of the progressive part of the spring, but don't tell you by how much? That doesn't seem very professional of them. You did know that the air gap is set and adjusted before the springs are mounted, not after?

Yes, I know.  I have the information from other people installing Hyperpro, but I was wondering if someone knows specifically for V1.  Also, this air gap is not a clear science for me; perhaps there is some room for more or less oil in tuning the suspension.  The springs are waiting for me in another country, and am not sure if the manual is included.  Anyway, if the instructions are not there, I will contact them, even though these guys are not so easy to communicate with.  For instance, when I asked them before about the viscosity of the oil they use, other than the weight, they wrote me that this is an information they do not share :(

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:05 AM »
Yes, I know.  I have the information from other people installing Hyperpro, but I was wondering if someone knows specifically for V1.  Also, this air gap is not a clear science for me; perhaps there is some room for more or less oil in tuning the suspension.  The springs are waiting for me in another country, and am not sure if the manual is included.  Anyway, if the instructions are not there, I will contact them, even though these guys are not so easy to communicate with.  For instance, when I asked them before about the viscosity of the oil they use, other than the weight, they wrote me that this is an information they do not share :(
Are you dealing with Hyperpro themselves, or an agent  :question:. All sounds a bit mickey mouse to me :006:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »
I have emailed Hyperpro a few times, to some of their websites.  Anyway, never mind.  I will figure it out.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:20 AM »
I received an email from Hyperpro headquarters, they say '110mm' gap, which is not much more than stock.  It is a bit surprising as, from another forum I saw, the air gap with H springs was suggested much larger than OEM.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:09:54 AM by kris »

Recent Topics

waggish