Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: De-cat pipes at last.  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: De-cat pipes at last.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 04:11:17 AM »
Those pipes look really well made. A few questions please:

- How much weight is saved by removing the toaster box and cat?
- Do you have to remove the entire exhaust system before cutting off the cat, or can it be done with the header pipes still on the bike?
- If I was to get a Hilltop ECU flash, do they do it differently depending on whether the cat has been cut out or not?

Thanks!

Offline solidback

• Versys Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
Can't tell you how much weight you'll save, but it's a lot lighter.
You only cut the pipe surrounding the cat. If you left the headers on the bike you'd have to cut the cat in half as well and then dig out the part remaining in the front section. The pipes are very easy to remove and are easier to work on once off.
The Hilltop ECU flash is the same regardless of the mods done, and they tell me that it will adapt to any changes made afterwards.

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bike_nerd [+]
Those pipes look really well made. A few questions please:

- How much weight is saved by removing the toaster box and cat?
- Do you have to remove the entire exhaust system before cutting off the cat, or can it be done with the header pipes still on the bike?
- If I was to get a Hilltop ECU flash, do they do it differently depending on whether the cat has been cut out or not?

Thanks!

I've just been into my workshop and weighed the cat, its 4.36 kilo or 9.62 lb ,. Not sure on the silencer, mines in the loft, but I think you'll save about a stone in weight,.

You don't have to remove the whole exhaust but it makes it easier to just cut the outer skin all the way round so removing the cat itself is a lot easier.
I actually re-mapped mine before I removed the cat ( with a leo Vince can fitted) . We ran the bike up on my mates Dyno after the cat was removed and the fuelling was still perfect.
Maybe an email to my mate might be worth while as he was hoping to be able to remap just the ECU as hilltop do.

http://www.rollingroadregister.com/dynos/junction-33-dyno-centre

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »
Quick update

All those who have paid me , all their pipes have been posted out, and everyone should receive them by the end of next week , if not sooner.
I've 4 left if anyone else wants one.
Ta very much.

Offline vincentder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Zoetermeer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 06:41:38 AM »
I've seen the discussion elsewhere so forgive me if already answered but what happens if you take out the cat, can you easily put it back again? And return to stock? Bit concerned on future  legislation and if decatted  might influence px value.

Secondly, not having a hilltop around the corner, would running it catless improve anything on the  stock ecu?

And having a akrapovic I like to ride without the db killer and am fine with the sound, could be a littlebit louder, but not too much. When the cat and toaster are gone, how loud is it? As I don't want to be much louder with the decat out and the killer in.

Thanks guys

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
If you remove the cat as I have by cutting only the outer skin then it will simply push back together, you can then either weld around the cut, or make a short sleeve , or put a clamp around the cut.
Ideally you will be taking the full system off to remove the cat, the best thing to do is before you cut, simple scribe both parts so if you do fit the cat back you know where both parts line up ready to weld.
My mate has had his removed for over 6 months now and hasn't had his re-mapped and it runs ok.
As for sound, it will be louder, I run mine with the baffle in the can (leo Vince) and it's not to loud.
Plus you will save about a stone in weight over the stock system.

Offline vincentder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Zoetermeer
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
If you remove the cat as I have by cutting only the outer skin then it will simply push back together, you can then either weld around the cut, or make a short sleeve , or put a clamp around the cut.
My mate has had his removed for over 6 months now and hasn't had his re-mapped and it runs ok.
As for sound, it will be louder, I run mine with the baffle in the can (leo Vince) and it's not to loud.
Plus you will save about a stone in weight over the stock system.

Thanks Floyd, but your mate is running it with no problems, but also (besides the weight) no improvements either right?

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 01:06:15 PM »
It sounds better, looks better (imho) , and saves weight,
To get an increase in power and to get it to run smoother (less snatchy on the throttle) , then you need a re-map, as with most modern bikes now due to emission regulations that the manufacturer has to comply with.
You may get an improvement in power without a re-map but I've not Dyno'd mine to find out, mine was re-mapped first.
And yes my mates done a couple of thousand miles since and no problems.

Offline Bike_nerd

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Have you noticed any effect on fuel economy and range after doing the de-cat and Hilltop ECU flash?  How about decel popping? I would really like to do both in order make the exhaust sound better, save a bit of weight and get rid of the snatchy throttle. Just want to make sure there are no negative consequences of doing it.  :002:

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Master
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »
I don't know enough about hilltop, but I trust my mate and his Dyno
http://www.rollingroadregister.com/dynos/junction-33-dyno-centre

Maybe an email to him will tell you all you need to know. Basically any engine that is set-up to run correctly will give you more mpg .if your engine is producing more power then to maintain the same cruising speed you don't need to use as much throttle, obviously if you ride quicker than you normally do it will use more, I'm getting over 50mpg ,
As for more noise the cat actually silence's the engine. By removing the cat it will sound louder.
A good re-map will do away with the snatchy throttle, that was the main reason I put my bike on the Dyno. It was at a later stage I decided to remove the cat. My mate can alter virtually everything that the ECU does, he switched off the lambda sensor so the ECU doesn't keep trying to lean the fueling off as per Kawasaki's settings, they set it so when you close the throttle it stops fuelling, by making it still put a little fuel in it does away with the snatchy throttle.
I can't think off any negative things about it unless maybe upsetting the tree huggers.

Recent Topics