Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: versys 1000 sprocket change  (Read 1544 times)

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
Re: versys 1000 sprocket change
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Welder [+]
Why would the the same tooth hitting the same chain link more frequently result in more wear that the same tooth hitting the same link less frequently, when that tooth would in turn hit different links more frequently?

Because it creates a pattern instead of being more random and spreading wear equally accross more links. Your chain is as strong as its weakest link.

Online Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Most of the time it would make little difference but chains, like any machinery, donít wear evenly. Over time the link behaviour will become more uneven, however well you look after it. That means you could put a little more stress on one tooth than on the rest thousands of times in a short-ish ride. At best it will wear quicker than itís neighbours but it then wonít carry its share of the load and throw extra stress on the adjacent teeth. Then theyíll start to wear faster and so on.

If that piece of chain hits a different tooth every time it reaches the sprocket any additional wear it causes will be shared around all of the teeth in turn so wear is more even and the sprockets will last longer. If the sprockets keep their shape the chain lasts longer.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Online longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Claude [+]
Anyone tried 17/43 on V1000?
(Assuming OEM is 15/43).

You may find the 17T front sprocket is a little too large for the sprocket cover.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Victoriaville Quebec
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by longdog [+]
You may find the 17T front sprocket is a little too large for the sprocket cover.
Is that a fact or a supposition?

Online Keener

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 02:46:37 AM »
great info ...gentlemen thank you...usually when i do a change in ratio... it is small either up or down depending on the motorcycle.
The V1 at first felt a bit tall  but i have gotten used to it, i just ride its torque wave and now it seems pretty much perfect.

Online longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Claude [+]
Is that a fact or a supposition?

Hi Claude, This topic has been discussed in the dim and distant past on this Forum and I seem to remember 17T being a tooth too far. I havenít checked previous topics and I am happy to be proven wrong.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Victoriaville Quebec
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by longdog [+]
Hi Claude, This topic has been discussed in the dim and distant past on this Forum and I seem to remember 17T being a tooth too far. I havenít checked previous topics and I am happy to be proven wrong.
Thanks LD! I'll search in previous posts then.

Recent Topics

waggish