Author Topic: versys 1000 sprocket change  (Read 9718 times)

Online Kaw

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 1000 versys
  • City / Town: WOLVERHAMPTON
Re: versys 1000 sprocket change
Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 11:05:34 AM
Was going to try just 16f but not enough slack on chain to do this so out with yhe wheel 41 r will let you know img]https://images.versys1000.com/20200523_102234.jpg[/img i get on

Online Kaw

• Versys Pro

Online Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 03:13:20 PM
I put a 16 on my 2015 with the standard chain. I had to remove the wheel spindle and move the wheel as far forward as possible to get the chain onto the sprocket.  Once I got it on I could pull the wheel back enough to get the spindle back in and with the adjusters fully forward I had the correct amount of slack in the chain.

Online Kaw

• Versys Pro
Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 03:23:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
I put a 16 on my 2015 with the standard chain. I had to remove the wheel spindle and move the wheel as far forward as possible to get the chain onto the sprocket.  Once I got it on I could pull the wheel back enough to get the spindle back in and with the adjusters fully forward I had the correct amount of slack in the chain.
No chance for me way to tight

Offline peejay69

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Tourer
  • City / Town: Rushden
Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 07:33:47 PM
Does anyone have the width spec of the sprockets for the OEM chain?

My gearing experience is limited to my old ZX6, which I changed by going down one Tooth on the front and up 2 on the back to get max acceleration on track days, as you never get to top speed on most circuits.

My mates on ZX7’s, ‘Blades and GSXR’s couldn’t keep up. My rear sprocket was thinner than it was supposed to be due to them not having stock when I wanted to buy, and me being less patient back then. I never had any issues though.

Online Kaw

• Versys Pro
Reply #65 on: May 24, 2020, 02:08:07 PM
Update ,first off went out 2 up today i,m 18 stone wife is10 ,so fair bit of weight on the bike .standard gear bike mine showed 65 mph at 4000 tpm ,16f  41r gearing 4000 rpm showed 74 mph ,5000 rpm showd 93 mph ,as you would expect made a big difference to how the bike rides much less busy ,not as strong pulling from low revs in high gear but still good and thats with 28 stone on it ,is it better overall yes much better you might have to change down a gear to over take a bit more offen but the ride is just more relaxed ,both sprockets cost me 35 pounds and i think its money well spent ,also tried my grip puppies out ,they do help with the small amount of vibration but for me they make the bars to big so will be coming off

Offline peejay69

• Versys Member
Reply #66 on: May 24, 2020, 03:57:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Kaw [+]
Update ,first off went out 2 up today i,m 18 stone wife is10 ,so fair bit of weight on the bike .standard gear bike mine showed 65 mph at 4000 tpm ,16f  41r gearing 4000 rpm showed 74 mph ,5000 rpm showd 93 mph ,as you would expect made a big difference to how the bike rides much less busy ,not as strong pulling from low revs in high gear but still good and thats with 28 stone on it ,is it better overall yes much better you might have to change down a gear to over take a bit more offen but the ride is just more relaxed ,both sprockets cost me 35 pounds and i think its money well spent ,also tried my grip puppies out ,they do help with the small amount of vibration but for me they make the bars to big so will be coming off

Can you post links to the items you bought please? I’m definitely changing mine before I hit the long trips.

Online Kaw

• Versys Pro
Reply #67 on: May 24, 2020, 07:41:34 PM
Look on page 5 mr mikes post tells you what to order and i bought mine from a company call chain and sprockets, cost 35 quid delivered, front sprocket will be tight do you have a rattle gun

Offline peejay69

• Versys Member
Reply #68 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Kaw [+]
Look on page 5 mr mikes post tells you what to order and i bought mine from a company call chain and sprockets, cost 35 quid delivered, front sprocket will be tight do you have a rattle gun

Thanks. I totally missed that post.

I do have an impact gun. Do you have to flatten out that folded locking washer using brute force?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #69 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39:36 AM
*Originally Posted by peejay69 [+]
Thanks. I totally missed that post.

I do have an impact gun. Do you have to flatten out that folded locking washer using brute force?

Ease it off the securing nut by using a bladed tool maybe a chisel or wide screwdriver and don't forget to bend it over again to secure the nut when you have completed the task... the nut will be tight so a rattle gun with 6 sided socket is best  :169:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

waggish