Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Two-up advice  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: Two-up advice
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 02:59:11 AM »
RE   Two up , funny thing is that was the primary reason that i ended up with a  V1 ...i have always toured alone and for the most part the bikes i used were good for one , but two with gear a struggle ..so i set out to find a bike for touring with some luggage capacity and a reasonable amount of comfort ,I wanted to buy used  because I wasn't sure that my better half would take to longer trips and time to do so was not always available for her and me together .
The first bike i found was a cruiser a 1900cc Yamaha twin  a Roadliner , came with bags luggage rack , floor boards fairing , the whole deal , only 26000 km and in really nice shape , now this for me was quite a change as i was not a cruiser guy , the opposite in fact, floorboards , heel toe shifting  what was that ...but i got the thing and was determined that this would be our ride to tour together happy trails and all that stuff.
 It soon became evident that after two or so hours in the saddle we both hurt alot , mostly because you sitting on your tailbone , with your legs out in front like some kind of barkalounger ..the other thing was that everything that could go wrong with that bike did , all the issues you could find on the net that could happen to a Roadliner happened ...not a happy camper...so trade in time , found a leftover 2015 V1 , did the research and nirvana was found ..superior in every way ...last summer Pam and I did a 3800km tour and had a wonderful time , she adapted to a sporting pace an doesn't mind higher speeds and corners are her favorite part, she has become a great passenger and likes to tour for six hours plus at a time .
The V1 kinda found me in a way as well and when touring alone or with Pam it is sublime ..great motorcycle i am smitten .
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:10:37 AM by Keener »

Online BikerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »
Great post Keener. I'm so pleased it had a happy ending for both you and your wife. Your purchase of the V1 was meant to be, although it was a shame it was via an unfortunate pre-purchase. I have not owned my V1 for very long but have already done quite a few long day trips. It is by far the most comfortable and able touring bike that I have ever owned. I hope you both have many, many, miles of fun and enjoyment with your new Versys  :152:

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
Picture the scene; Holidays in the sunny south of France with my beautiful wife to be, riding through the Alps on the 'Route Napoleon' on a hired TDM850. Magnificent roads, fantastic views, heaven on Earth. We were on a stretch of road that hugged towering cliffs on one side with trees on the other. I can feel from her body position that she is twisted around to try and look up to the sights above us and I can see ahead that the trees give way to a deep gorge joining from the right with just a low stone wall for protection. Ahead of me is a short sharp bridge like a chicane that crosses the gorge before the road continues against the cliff on the other side. She hasn't moved so ?I can tell she hasn't seen it yet. (Did I mention that she doesn't like heights?). Just before I drop the bike into the turn for the bridge, I give her the signal to look to the right, I tip the bike in so our heads are over the wall and looking straight down into the gorge hundreds of feet below. She screams and recoils just as I tip the bike the other way so she can look straight down at the gorge from the other side of the bridge. I start laughing, she starts thumping my leathers which makes me laugh even harder which makes her even angrier. What fun. It was almost worth not having any sex for the rest of the holiday. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:58:37 AM by Paul_Smith »

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »
 :008: :008: :008:
What if the whole world farted at once?

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
Folks tend to expect their phobias be respected but I  am never inclined to respect them. We get them for a reason, no doubt about that, but respecting them only gives them power and finally they will rule your life, and limit it.

I don't sadistically toy with other folks' fears, but earnestly tell them the only way forward is to confront them until they lose their power. All the evidence supports that.

In my aviation years I helped a girlfriend get over a fear of flying. I was gentle with her and told her it's not that everyone has to love flying -- that's not the point -- it's that you don't want to live under control of a fear like that. I was careful at first, only taking her up for short hops under perfect flying conditions, on days when she would be distracted by the beauty of sky and land. Well, she got over it and we had a lot of good times in little airplanes.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
On a trip last summer with the V1 ,Pam and I encountered some great corners on the coast of British Columbia Canada , I hadn't been there for many years and was caught by surprise by a series of four corners that tightened up and one that was a decreasing radius , I was still at speed but put the V1 through the section on the edge ..scared me a bit I must say .
Later on I asked Pam what she thought and if she was concerned , she said no and that is what she expected when riding a motorcycle ..I thanked her for that and also for her attention to what was happening on the road ahead .
Good passengers can make all the difference in the ride and can become as one with you.
We have spent much time and effort together on riding skills and its paying off.

Offline jbobst

• Versys Member
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 02:07:09 AM »
Great post!  Like others, I ended up with my Versys 1K because my wife is interested in riding with me.  I was all set to get an Africa Twin, but switched to the Versys (and glad I did!).

Only had the bike for a week now, and haven't done any 2 up riding yet (other than around the neighborhood).  My seat is so angled forward, and so slick, that I can see I need to change it out very soon (it's also pretty uncomfortable).  I am thinking about a Corbin seat, mostly because they offer a backrest.  I have been trying to find a universal backrest to try but there aren't really any options.  I don't really want to go the top case route, because the backrest pad looks pretty uncomfortable.  For all of you who do 2 up riding, what do you do for a back rest?  A backrest seems like priority number 1 for a passenger, but maybe not?  I've read a few posts on this forum about the Corbin seat, but any additional comments or reviews would be extremely helpful before I put a bunch of money into a seat and backrest combo from Corbin.

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 07:30:57 AM »
 I have the GT version with a top box and Ruthís very happy with the OEM back rest. She has ridden with me without one and wasnít as relaxed although she was fine otherwise. She slipped around on the pillion at first but I bought a Triboseat cover and that fixed the problem. Iíve never had an issue with sliding and I donít find the seat uncomfortable. Weíve found that itís become better with time - we picked ours up in March - but whether the seat has relaxed or our backsides have become more accommodating we arenít sure!  :008: :008: :008:

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rockdoc [+]
Weíve found that itís become better with time - we picked ours up in March - but whether the seat has relaxed or our backsides have become more accommodating we arenít sure!  :008: :008: :008:

I think it's a little of both, Keith. The foam does soften somewhat under the pressure points of yr. hips. But we humans are adaptable. After racking the family jewels a few times we learn "not to do that" and after that things improve without us really understanding the whys and hows of it.

Remember the famous medical adage:

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this..."

Doctor: "Then don't do that..."  :007:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline conscious

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 15 Versys1K, 17 T100
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
First weekend on a two up get away and the Versys performed marvellously.  With a top box added we had tons of storage space and could easily store some gear when we wanted to go in for a bite to eat or go walk about. 

With the added weight, I noticed that I needed to downshift quite a bit more to pass, and appreciated the gearing way more two up.

I notched the rear pre-load all of the way up and thankfully didn't notice the lightness of the front wheel in slow maneuvers, like some have mentioned.  We were about 340 lbs (155kg) total with luggage. I did notice quite a bit more rear load when cornering more aggressively.  It was as it I was looking up through the windscreen.

Speaking of the screen, my new Givi Airflow worked perfectly.  I loved how much adjustability there was.  We had it all the way down for low speed, which was nice on a hot day, and then moved it up for the freeway portions which took the wind off our head and shoulders. 

All in all, the Versys performed beautifully and best of all, milady and I are planning our next trip!!

P.S.  The sunshine coast of British Columbia is a spectacular place to ride.  Motorcycles are first on and first off of the ferries, and half price.  The roads are not too busy, lovely condition and a perfect blend of twisties. 
2015 Versys 1000, Oxford heated grips, throttle lock
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS

Recent Topics

waggish