Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: More power for Versys 1000?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 ninja 1000
  • City / Town: slc, ut
Re: More power for Versys 1000?
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
Speaking of power, I dont know if this fits here. I'll move it if needed.....This has been a fun mod, for me. I have to admit I stole this idea from another Ninja 1000 forum member, but....

I have no idea what flywheel is in the Versys 1000, but here is a before and after shot of what the ninja 1000 has.  If you look at the outside edge, you can see where my machinist was able to remove .125in from the outside edge. This also removed @6oz of weight from the assembly.  I have  a local machinist who specializes in Japanese tuner cars.  I was able to have turned turned and re-balanced for 40.00. There was no evidence this was balanced in the first place, but better safe than sorry.

Obviously, this does nothing to the overall power, but it made the engine feel different. Low end feels stronger and a lot more responsive.   No change to engine vibration, which has to be a good sign.

I bought  a used flywheel, from ebay, so I can change back anytime I like, but I dont see myself doing so.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:18:11 PM by rcannon409 »

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
 I'm no engineer but I'm  sure that your engine will now rev quicker and maybe harder 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by rcannon409 [+]
Speaking of power, I dont know if this fits here. I'll move it if needed.....This has been a fun mod, for me. I have to admit I stole this idea from another Ninja 1000 forum member, but....

I have no idea what flywheel is in the Versys 1000, but here is a before and after shot of what the ninja 1000 has.  If you look at the outside edge, you can see where my machinist was able to remove .125in from the outside edge. This also removed @6oz of weight from the assembly.  I have  a local machinist who specializes in Japanese tuner cars.  I was able to have turned turned and re-balanced for 40.00. There was no evidence this was balanced in the first place, but better safe than sorry.

Obviously, this does nothing to the overall power, but it made the engine feel different. Low end feels stronger and a lot more responsive.   No change to engine vibration, which has to be a good sign.

I bought  a used flywheel, from ebay, so I can change back anytime I like, but I dont see myself doing so.

We used to go the other way with 2 stroke dirt bikes ..we would put a heavier flywheel in to take the edge of of the power band and make them more trail friendly... it made for a much nicer ride in the woods and made them much less  prone to stall at low speeds...

I would bet the lighter flywheel in the Versys will make for a nicer  ride also as it should allow the engine to rev a bit quicker... please do let us know your impressions once you get some more miles on it ..and would your buddy do another one if asked..:)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 12:52:32 AM »
Different strokes... I have never thought the V1K was short on abrupt power if asked for. I consider it a light flywheeled engine as is. I could even do with heavier. I do my slow, tight parking lot work in second gear to make smoother power in the friction zone... i.e., lower rpm, easier to control it.  :notsure:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 02:25:12 AM »
Sonny, of course you are correct, and there's no argument.  The new gen bikes are pretty good, in stock form, and really, there is not much they need.

Also, keep in mind, I'm just being  honest.  I don't have a business that sells this service, and im not trying to sucker you in for some service ill provide in the future. I'm just some dumb owner, from Utah..  I would give you the name of the machine shop that helped me, but I doubt they do mail order work.  They still hand write receipts, and odds are your "specs" will be written on the back of the owners hand.

Like Crosshairs said, this is something we messed with on our dirt bikes. That's where my curiosity had started.  I had a kit for my old is 250.  It offered added weights of 6oz, 8oz, and 12oz.   This was just a fun experiment in the other direction.

The engine spinning up a bit faster was no surprise.  It's not a night-and-day-oh-my-gid difference, but the feeling is there.  It's really nice.  After a short time, the light weight is now normal, and one moves along.  I have 500 miles on the bike, with the new weight.  I might as well sell the stock weight, as it will not be going back on.

The surprising part was this.  Crosshairs, remember how the dirt bike felt heavier when you added a flywheel weight?  The first times I rode, with this light weight, I kept worrying my bike was out of fuel.  Somehow, removing this 6oz made the bike feel lighter.  The bike feels like it does when the fuel tank is empty.   You know that full  tank vs empty tank feel?   I feel just that.   It's not always a positive.  On a high speed freeway, with wind gusts, the bike does not feel as stable.  However, for around town, and corners, it's awesome.   This part is  more noticable than the faster reving motor.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:31:52 AM by rcannon409 »

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2018, 03:07:22 AM »
 :notsure: Interesting rcannon409, i rode a fellows Ducati 900ss with a lightened flywheel and then switched back to my stock ss and preferred it over the other ,my bike felt like it had more in the middle ..torque seemed more forth coming.
How would you rate Mid range as compared to stock ..considering this is an inline four and not a twin like the duck.   

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by rcannon409 [+]
Sonny, of course you are correct, and there's no argument.  The new gen bikes are pretty good, in stock form, and really, there is not much they need.

Also, keep in mind, I'm just being  honest.    ...This part is  more noticable than the faster reving motor.

That's a well done description of how the feel changes.

For grins I'd be willing to mount a heavier flywheel to see what it felt like, but that couldn't be turned on a lathe, it would have to be fab'ed from scratch which would cost like smoke. I guess some weight could be welded inside the cylinder but I'd hate to try to balance it. 
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »
 I would love to try a heavier weight, too, just because.  Our flywheel appears to be flipped 180 degrees compared to our dirt bikes, so it would not be easy to add weight, but I would love to try.  This project was no more than our looking at this stock flywheel and thinking, "Hey, we could remove some material here."  No as if the bike really needed this.

If -6oz made the bike feel lighter, i can only imagine what carbon fiber wheels must feel like.  Due to the cost, i feel like "imagine" is probably the key word there.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:49:13 PM by rcannon409 »

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
If you want a Versys 1000 with more power, then why not simply source a motor out of a crashed Ninja? It should be a relatively easy transplant and you could also source the necessary electrics too.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2018, 03:00:25 AM »
Keener, I don't know if I can feel any difference, in midrange.  The sensation is very I interesting, really.  It's not as if you get more power, anywhere.   This changes the feel  of how that same power is delivered.  This flywheel transitions faster between the various rpm ranges.   Easy to feel,  and tough to describe.  I do see what you mean on a v twin.  I don't think I would have liked a faster revving sv 650.  It would not compliment that bike at all.  In ways, it matches up well to this faster revving inline 4.

If you ride my bike, back to back, with a same set up stock bike, you may not even notice a midrange change but you would ask why my bike feels lighter.  That lighter feel is the largest difference.  I imagine you guys would feel that on your bikes, too?   

Of course a person could do a lot of things to get more power, up to and including engine swaps.  A complete bike trade can be done, too.     But before doing so, go back to the part where this was a 40.00 dollar mod that anyone could do with basic hand tools and that 25,00 dollar flywheel puller.  If you buy a used eBay flywheel, it's not even permanent.

This is probably more for someone who already has the bike, and likes to try new settings vs someone who just rides around, 100% happy with their bike.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:06:04 AM by rcannon409 »

Recent Topics