Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Things I Love About the Versys 1000 LT  (Read 1700 times)

Sagtown and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline sporthog93

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: several
  • City / Town: Fremont, Iowa
Re: Things I Love About the Versys 1000 LT
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
For the throttle, get the G2 throttle tube. I think my 2016 FI works extremely good! I have also installed a Puig windscreen and heated grips.

Current bikes owned,
2016 Mean Green Versys 1000
2013 Triumph Bonneville T100, for sale
2013 BMW 700 Gs
and recent acquisition 2007 KLR 650, I would prefer the DR650 but got this cheap.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:23:14 PM by sporthog93 »
are we gonna ride or dick around all day?

Offline Welder

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Pac NW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:26 AM »
I went riding this evening, 42F and lightly raining.  I was wearing an Aerostich Road Crafter, Held gore-tex winter gloves, a 200 weight Duluth polar fleece sweater over a T-shirt, and a light weight balaclava under a Scorpion AT 950.

I rode for 35 mintutes on highway and country roads, and a small bit of town, in complete comfort and came home totally dry and not cold.

The Versys wind and rain protection is way better than any bike I have owned.  In order to clear rain from my helmet I find I have to lean my head off to the side to get enough wind to blow off the rain.  However I have also found that my Scorpion AT 950 is not only great about not fogging (or causing my glasses to fog) in foul weather, but it also tends to clear water from the visor more easily than my previous helmet - a Arai Corsair RX7. So I don't have to do this excessively unless I slow down and accumulate a lot of water on the visor.

So the combination of that gear and the Versys was a real joy.  If I could only have 1 bike, it sure would be hard to pass up the Versys.

Love this bike.

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:25 AM »
+1. Hail the Versys  :028::020:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Carbon Grey - 2016
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
Welder, I think you have hit the nail on the head with your last comment "if I could only have one bike". Let's be honest, most owners can only afford (or are only allowed  :008:) one bike.

I cannot think of a better bike to own, that does pretty much everything well like the Versys. There are faster, more comfortable, better off road, better touring, better racing bikes etc etc but name one other bike that does all these things with Japanese reliability, as well as the Versys at this price !

I have owned somewhere in the region of 50+ bikes and I think the Versys is as good as it gets for an all rounder   :002:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
Versys 1000  :question: 

Best value for money all rounder out there ....................................BAR NONE  :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Throttled

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT MkI
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Welder [+]
* Wind screen would be better if it directed air about 3" higher than it does to prevent buffeting of some helmets, particularly a dual-purpose or "adv" style helmet with a sun "peak" or bill.
* Fueling is overall pretty good, but coming smoothly off a closed throttle under heavy deceleration requires a light touch.  Fueling feels a bit lean at lower loads and RPMs, typical of every new bike I have bought or ridden that I am able to remember.  Still not bad though.  My V feels like a bike that has been in production for a number of years that has already had the fuel mapping revised a few times so as to not be annoying.
* The pad at the bottom of the kickstand could be larger in size - it is pretty small.

Agreed, though I would say most bikes have a side stand base that is too small and designed purely for tarmac. The screen and side stand can at least be sorted with after market add ons.
KLE500 - Versys 650 Touring MkII - Versys 1000 GT MkI

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Throttled [+]
Agreed, though I would say most bikes have a side stand base that is too small and designed purely for tarmac. The screen and side stand can at least be sorted with after market add ons.

Sidestand -

https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000/products/standard-flatfoot-for-kawasaki

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:40 AM »
... or just go to a metal shop, cut a 2 1/2, even 3 inch disk of 1/8" sheet metal, weld it on the existing little hoof, paint it black.  Cheaply done, lasts forever.  :028:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Paddy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Hyperstrada, KTM 690
  • City / Town: San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 01:26:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by sporthog93 [+]
Current bikes owned,
2016 Mean Green Versys 1000
2013 Triumph Bonneville T100, for sale
2013 BMW 700 Gs
and recent acquisition 2007 KLR 650, I would prefer the DR650 but got this cheap.
Cheap? That's good! :028:  .... but it'll take a bit of money to get your KLR close to a nicely modified DR650. I've owned both ... and lots of bikes before. IMO, the KLR has some serious limitations. The DR is a sort of blank canvas and the perfect poor man's Adventure bike.  :031:

*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
Welder, I think you have hit the nail on the head with your last comment "if I could only have one bike". Let's be honest, most owners can only afford (or are only allowed  :008:) one bike.

I cannot think of a better bike to own, that does pretty much everything well like the Versys. There are faster, more comfortable, better off road, better touring, better racing bikes etc etc but name one other bike that does all these things with Japanese reliability, as well as the Versys at this price !

I have owned somewhere in the region of 50+ bikes and I think the Versys is as good as it gets for an all rounder   :002:
:152:
Cheers mate!   :031:
I hope you're right ... cause my plan is to do a Versys purchase sometime soon. I've owned a lot of bikes too, was really impressed with my short test ride! This bike rides much better than I would have guessed. With a few suspension mods it should be tour ready.

But the ultimate question of "Very Best ALL ROUNDER" has to come down to the sort of riding you plan on, where you're going and what road surfaces you might end up on. I can't imagine taking my Versys through the mountains of Bolivia or Peru' or even through some of the Pistes through Baja. I could not bear to see the destruction. (I've seen it many times before with BMW riders who think their GS's are off road capable. VERY EXPENSIVE MISTAKE!  :138:

I've been riding bikes 50 years. Over last 20 or so I've been into Dual Sport Adventure type riding  (as the commercial entities now call it) We started doing this type of off road touring in early 80's ... and as a kid, toured all over Baja, Surfing and riding bikes, camping out in 60's and 70's. A great introduction to bikes. 

I traveled S. America years ago, mostly NOT on bikes (1970's) But then in the 80's started dual sport and Mexico rides. I raced AMA Enduro for 8 years too ... and finally really learned how to ride a motorcycle.  :22: But now old age is creeping up and my dirt skills are being stolen away slowly.

But I've had a lot of fun touring Baja, Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Colorado on my DR650. This bike also is a sort of "Versys" bike, but in the off road/on road category. It's really pretty good, does need a few key mods, but has potential as a RTW type travel bike
if you get it set up right.

My current DR650 (this is my 3rd) now has over 60K miles. Needs a top end now but still runs strong, just a bit of piston slap and a bit of oil use (something most DR's never do). KLR's? Honda XR650L's? Both can use substantial amounts of oil ... especially fast road riding or pulling hard through deep sand washes. High heat can kill them too ... but NOT the DR650. Ask me how I know!  :020:

DR650's are pretty indestructible, nearly impossible to over heat, very tough bike, good strong rear sub frame. With mods can be a good handler ON and OFF road. Cruise's smoothly all day at 75 MPH, no sweat. Did lots of this on rides to Utah and Colorado. I rode there .... no trucks. Similar with Baja. Done 5 trips to the tip and only two involved trucks. (to accommodate friends)

If you need a truck, it's not really an Adventure ride!  :not sure:

I'm selling off two bikes to get the Versys ... a beautiful '13 Ducati Hyperstrada 821 and a near new 2017 KTM Duke 690. Both still  for sale if interested. Both have warranty remaining.

I will keep my DR650 ... will trade it off for a newer, younger version of same bike. The Versys will be my only Street/Touring/Sporty bike. I hope I don't miss my Ducati. It's a stellar handling bike.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:03:00 AM by Paddy »
Shouldn't you be checking your phone?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
Paddy, I'm sure you will be interested to read the posts from our own JFman

Here's a link to some of his exploits  :002: 

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=467   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young