Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High coolant temp  (Read 914 times)

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
High coolant temp
« on: March 29, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »
I know the fan is supposed to kick in at 212F, and I always thought it has. Recently I've seen the temp hit 216F a couple of times before the the temp starts to drop.  The fan seems to drop the temp pretty efficiently once it kicks in, so I'm wondering if maybe the sensor is out of spec?  Anybody else see this behavior?  Any reason to be concerned about 216 vs 212?

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: High coolant temp
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:27:30 AM »
I wouldnít think so as itís a pressurised system. The fan on mine kicks in at around 100/101C which is 212/214F. I wouldnít worry unless the trigger temperature continues to rise.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline JEF.FREE.Ryder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
I have experienced the same temperatures.       IN hot weather the Temperature will rise very quickly as soon as I get stuck in traffic. Red Lights.   The Fan will come on some time the engine will still rise a few degrees before it cools down.    Hottest I Ever remember the engine hitting was 104 Celcius or 219 Fahrenheit for a very short amount of time. Even with the fan running 

I remember reading  IF the bike gets to hot  the dash light will start flashing.   
 :biker1:

Offline itlives

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Doyline
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:32:52 PM »
Glad to read this . Water temp is something that's not very stable in motorcycles. My Super Tenere fan didn't come on until 223 F . The fans on it sounded like a turbine. I see we only have one big fan on the Versus. Mine hasn't come on yet...but it will this summer!

Offline Kell1000

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Skipton
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
I was concerned about the temperature. But from asking around
This is all quite normal. I just wonder how it would cope if the
Outside tem hit 30 +. Fan would get a good work out thatís for
Sure

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kell1000 [+]
I was concerned about the temperature. But from asking around
This is all quite normal. I just wonder how it would cope if the
Outside tem hit 30 +. Fan would get a good work out thatís for
Sure
The bike copes better then I did.
The fans don't operate until the coolant reaches near boiling point so 30+ outside doesn't make much difference to the bike.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
+30C does make a difference in the coolant temp compared to cool weather riding, but a functioning cooling system keeps the juice below the boiling point in high temperatures. The rider feels the engine heat more, because he/she is already suffering elevated body temp from the ambient air.

Welcome to my world. For a week running now, in Texas highs have reached 108 - 110F (42 - 43C). The bike doesn't boil over but the rider gets fried. No one would call riding in these temps enjoyable.  :lostit:

By comparison, +30C (86F) is delightful riding, and the Versys is happy as a clam...
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline peter73

• Ex Member
  • Versys Master
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kell1000 [+]
... I just wonder how it would cope if the Outside tem hit 30 +. Fan would get a good work out thatís for
Sure

Not really. As long as you keep moving the coolant temp remains in the 80s and the fan never kicks in. Your nuts, on the other hand ... I have ridden in 34-35C for hours once and it was not fun. Now, when the temps are expected to be too high for most of the ride, I am taking another bike - a naked one (the bike, not me :-))

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »
Read your manual.
If you don't see both the red light and the indicator flashing don't worry: everything is OK.
They begin flashing over 115C. Over 120C the indicator shows "HI" instead of the temp.

*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
...For a week running now, in Texas highs have reached 108 - 110F (42 - 43C)...
Sonny, do you ride in that hell?  :5:

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
Ignorance can be bliss.  Trust your cooling system.  There is enough stress with traffic and critters to be overly concerned about temps.  The bike will let you know if the temps are too high.

Recent Topics

waggish