Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Kawasaki standard fitted 12v power socket - charging battery?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
Re: Kawasaki standard fitted 12v power socket - charging battery?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by nickw6666 [+]
Thanks for the detail guys, thats really good to know.

So no power to 12v outlet when ignition switched off so charger won't work once ignition switched off.

I think I'll get a CTEK eyelet lead to provide the CTEK charger port under the seat but for now it will need to be the crocodile/alligator clips onto the battery terminals!

Many thanks all!

Wise decision Nick  :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline nickw6666

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 01:42:19 AM »
As per the suggestions, I've natured an 'eyelet' CTEK lead which can be attached to the battery terminals.

A question I have in this whole process is when fitting the eyelet cable, I have to disconnect the battery for a short period.

Can anyone advise what the effects are of this please, as I can also connect the credible clips cable just as easily,never though it looks a lot less elegant.

When I remove the battery lead from the terminal in order to fit the eyelet, I assume the clock will reset but will anything else reset etc?

Thanks,
Nick.

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 07:34:55 AM »
This may be totally wrong for Kawasakis but on my BMW K1200LT all the parts that relied on battery power - clock, radio, EMU for example - had internal power sources that would retain settings for up to half an hour after the leads had been removed from the battery. It would make sense that our bikes work in a similar way.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 07:56:07 AM »
Thanks for the detail guys, thats really good to know.

So no power to 12v outlet when ignition switched off so charger won't work once ignition switched off.

I think I'll get a CTEK eyelet lead to provide the CTEK charger port under the seat but for now it will need to be the crocodile/alligator clips onto the battery terminals!

Many thanks all!

Correctamindo...it's a switched supply  :028:   

Roger (Rog)

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »
Average fuel consumption will reset, you can actually do it without removing the terminals, carefully pull the bolt out while pressing down on the terminal. I've done it a couple of times, (heated jacket wires and battery tender).

Offline nickw6666

• Versys Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Apologies for the typos/over zealous spellchecker on my last post!  :012:

Both of the responses are interesting and remove any worry for me about fitting the CTEK eyelet lead.

If there is a back up battery for short term that's great but I also like the idea of removing the screw that holds the clamp on but pushing down on the clamp whilst connecting the eyelet ring on top of the clamp before refitting and tightening up the screw.   :37:

Sounds like a really good plan..

Thanks all..  :152:

Offline nickw6666

• Versys Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
Just one last thing to ask. Apologies for it being a bit of a basic question!  :034:

I assume the eyelet on the CTEK conditioner cable fits under the screw but on top of the clamp, so you don't need to pull the clamp off inline with the earlier discussion.

So the eyelet ring would not be fitted under the clamp, but effectively on top of it, under the screw which would hold it in place. I assume that would provide the necessary electrical connection for charging etc.

Many thanks in advance!   :016:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
If I'm understanding you correctly Nick, what you just said is correct sir  :028: 

You will be able to see easily when you lift the seat and pull back the batteries plastic terminal covers   :002:   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:28:04 AM by TYKE »

Roger (Rog)

Online peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  :152:

I suppose I'm being a bit lazy in a way but I use the 12v cigarette lighter in my car to trickle charge and thought I might be able to do same on the Versys ...

Not with the stock power outlet, I think. It has a relay and is disconnected when the engine is off.

I have an aftermarket power outlet that is connected directly to the battery terminals and I do use it to connect my CTEK 0.8 charger.

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 04:39:11 AM »
My setup is similar to Weljo's.  The lead from the battery squeezes out the front edge of the seat.  When riding I just tuck it up under the seat.  It's convenient to plug in my Optimate battery tender after every ride.  And it's also handy in this chilly weather to plug in the Gerbing's.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Recent Topics