Top Posters Today

Keener Keener
3 Posts
Sonny Sonny
3 Posts
uralrob
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I've got a new bike !  (Read 2965 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: I've got a new bike !
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:53:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]

OT: TYKE, I know many people who are fond of the bike, but no one to the point to park it on a persian carpet...

:4:   its hardly Persian......just a somewhat thread bare rug that no longer deserves a place inside the palace ( the picture only shows the 'good' corner)   :008:   

EDIT :   I am immediately pleased with the angled valves which make access sooooo much better..... I chose these ones     :028:   

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=890&g=729238&p=729243&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Accessories&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_aH9f222gIVZrftCh0dDgAdEAQYASABEgJLBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds   
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:55:37 AM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Rog - I installed a TPMS, which, because of the individual wheel monitors, requires metal tire valves.  Installed a metal 90 degree on the back tire, but there wasn't enough clearance on the front for 90 degrees.  Went with a straight metal tire valve.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:32:46 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »
I looked at that idea, ....  I guess the TPMS just screws onto your valve in place of the standard cap and I wonder if the wheels will need re-balancing after fitting  :question:
They are rather expensive too  :5:     

The Angled valves I've had fitted are facing to the right of the bike so that when the bike is on its side stand they are more accessible....it is just visible on my picture

I had TPMS on my GTR 1400 and really found it useful, in fact it gave me good clear advance warning of a rear tyre puncture when I was on a fast road, ... a rapidly deflating and resulting flat tyre could have been very dangerous.

EDIT :   just seen this   

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:33:11 PM by TYKE »

Roger (Rog)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
I looked at that idea, ....  I guess the TPMS just screws onto your valve in place of the standard cap and I wonder if the wheels will need re-balancing after fitting  :question:
They are rather expensive too   
I've had a TPMS on my Gold Wing for the last 7-8 years.  And now I've got one on the V1.  The sensors screw onto the tire valves, and the monitor is on the handlebar.  I use Dynabeads rather than traditional tire weights, so the wheels were always balanced. (Although they forgot to put Dynabeads on my V1 when the Road 5's were installed.  And no problem so far.)

I swear by the TPMS.  It has saved my ass several times. 😃
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:00:00 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 03:23:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
I've had a TPMS on my Gold Wing for the last 7-8 years.  And now I've got one on the V1.  The sensors screw onto the tire valves, and the monitor is on the handlebar.  I use Dynabeads rather than traditional tire weights, so the wheels were always balanced. (Although they forgot to put Dynabeads on my V1 when the Road 5's were installed.  And no problem so far.)

I swear by the TPMS.  It has saved my ass several times. 😃

Completely agree about the safety element of TPMS 

Surprisingly quite a few members on the GTR forum said that they considered it an unnecessary feature that required new batteries every 2-3 years.. :5: 

It saved me a potential accident when I had a rear puncture as the tyre was deflating extremely quickly and I was travelling (solo fortunately) at about 60 - 70 mph

Roger (Rog)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »
Completely agree about the safety element of TPMS 

Surprisingly quite a few members on the GTR forum said that they considered it an unnecessary feature that required new batteries every 2-3 years.. :5: 

It saved me a potential accident when I had a rear puncture as the tyre was deflating extremely quickly and I was travelling (solo fortunately) at about 60 - 70 mph
The Doran unit I use probably needs new batteries (therefore new sensors) every two years.  Maybe $100.  Small price to pay for the safety and peace of mind offered by GPMS.

I leave the system turned on 24-7 during the riding season.  Nice to easily check tire pressure before each ride (the monitor is surprisingly accurate).  I have a rocker switch installed to shut off the power during the winter.

Like I said earlier, the system has saved me a few times.  Once I got new tires installed at my Gold Wing mechanic's house (where he has his shop).  I left Friday around 6:00 pm and decided to meander home along back roads well out in the country.  Nobody around - no cars, no towns, no nothing.  After about 20 minutes my TPMS alarm went off.  Called my mechamic,  who said come right back.  Turned out he hadn't "blipped" the new tire enough, and it wasn't seated properly.   If the TPMS hadn't warned me, I would have truly been in the middle of nowhere late on a Friday night with a flat tire.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:49:35 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »
Just checking , what size did you use rog, presume it's the 11.3

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
Yes that's correct 11.3...

sorry I should have said.   :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »
Thank you sir.
I'll be putting a new rear tyre on soon ready for our jolly round Europe so I'll change them then

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
My bikes been transformed too.

I've just recently changed the OE T30's for some "normal" T30's and they feel so much better...however I've also fitted Maxton Suspension and reduced the tail weight by 10kg with an exhaust can, lithium battery and removing the rack and pillion grab rails.
 The front holds a line really well and direction change has improved too. Liking this bike more and more.

Recent Topics

waggish