oldtimer oldtimer
1 Posts
sporthog93
1 Posts
Sonny Sonny
1 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I've got a new bike !  (Read 1774 times)

Offline peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
Re: I've got a new bike !
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 05:00:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
... I've just recently changed the OE T30's for some "normal" T30's and they feel so much better ...

It would be really stupid of Bridgestone to blow their chance of winning a new customer with an inferior product. I don't think tyres supplied as OEM are any different from the retail ones.

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 05:43:21 AM »
It's not the first time I've heard that the OEMs are sub par. Kawasaki surely buys tires thousands at a time. I am not sure how that might affect quality control. Or their freshness by the time they arrive in the customers' hands on a new bike.  :027:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 06:31:42 AM »
There doesnít seem to be anything wrong with the tyres on mine. If new tyres are stickier than these Iíll be able to ride upside down!

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 06:57:52 AM »
I agree Keith

I really really donít like Bridgestone tyres. I had a bad experience with the BT023ís on my CBR600F back in 2007. The front had some really bad uneven wear on the right hand side. They would also tram badly and follow every imperfection on the road.
I didnít realise how much they had knocked my confidence until I changed to the Michelin PR2ís. I hadnít realised that I had been tensing up each time I went over a crack going down the road or a groove or anything for that matter. At first the front Michie felt very strange as I was expecting it to behave the way as the BStone. I soon started to relax and then with that along came my confidence again.
I swore I would never own another pair of BStones again. However, the OE Stones have been absolutely fine and I havenít found fault with them in the 4500 miles Iíve used them.
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »
The idea that OEM tyres might be 'sub-standard' when compared to the aftermarket ones has been discussed for years......I don't know the answer.

Like I've said in the past a newly fitted tyre when scrubbed in will inevitably feel much better than the one it has just replaced...I'm also on record as saying that I generally don't like the feel from Bridgestone tyres

Bridgestone have launched a new BT31 and it looks like a good tyre, but if course time and usage will tell...I saw some at the tyre fitting depot the other day, I was also advised by the  European Manager for Bridgestone Motorcycle tyres who was visiting at the time that they are a very very good tyre (I'd expect him to say that) ..

I believe Stlee has them fitted to his bike

https://gb.mynetmoto.com/news.cfm/1183-bridgestone-touring-t31.html
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
Obviously, with only 800-odd miles on my bike I canít speak to the durability or long-term grip on these BT030s but I have surprised myself about how far over Iíve gone without realising I was doing it. Iím not a fast rider and have never been one for getting my knee down but what else could it be other than the confidence I already have in the tyres and chassis? Iím especially careful with Ruth on the back but the vast majority of the mileage on the clock has been two-up so I must trust this bike a lot. That may sound like an odd way to put it but, as I wrote earlier, mentally Iím riding normally. I am categorically not trying to find the bikeís limits.

If, as I put before, aftermarket tyres are better I shall be in for a treat in a few thousand milesí time.

Keith

Offline peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 07:30:10 PM »
BT30 are fine when new but loose grip with wear and wear in an odd shape. Not particularly long lasting either. And they are hard tyres - I don't know about you but I don't want to feel every minor crack in the pavement.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:31:42 PM by peter73 »

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 08:41:08 PM »
Weíll see, Peter. Iíll be happy to revise my opinions with more experience. Tyres, like so much with a bike, are personal. IMO. On my LT I only had a choice of Metzeler or Bridgestone because the back tyre had an unusual specification. I had both at different times and was OK with either but they made the bike handle very differently. I think that was down to the completely different pattern on the front. On the LT forum each had its staunch supporters who wouldnít dirty their rims with the Ďwrongí make. Me? Whichever was available when I needed new tyres.

The other issue with which dictates which tyre works for different riders is down to road surfaces. In the UK I have rarely had a bike step out badly when I was going over wet white lines. I have had exactly that on the Continent so different countries must have differing specifications and itís quite likely one tyre may work better than another.

Youíre right, though, that itís early days for me. So far so good is all I can say. Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

Keith

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »
There is a little over 500 miles on my Metzelers Roadtec 01s now and they are performing superbly, they warm up quickly which is pleasing as we haven't had much if any weather above 11įc yet.

The feedback from the tyres is great and, for me, so much better than the previous OEM Bridgestones consequently I have more confidence with them which improves my riding experience.

Wet weather performance has not been put to the test yet, but I feel confident that they will be good....there will be plenty opportunity to try them in the wet before very long, especially as it's doing little else but rain here at the moment.
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
Tyke, I read somewhere that the Roadtec 01 don't last that long so would be grateful if you could keep us updated on this.
Cheers

Recent Topics

waggish