Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The older I get, the better I was...  (Read 538 times)

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Carbon Grey - 2016
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
The older I get, the better I was...
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
When I had my moped or 250, in order to go for a ride I would put my trainers on, or if I was out for a long ride, I might put my boots on with long white socks pulled up and over the boots having tucked the jeans into the boots, next on went the leather jacket and the gauntlets pulled over the cuffs. On with the Bell tour star helmet and off we go. Total time approx 2 minutes.

Now if I want to go for a ride, I start by putting all the essentials into the right pockets of the jacket, inhaler, eye drops, wallet and phone. The phone has to be put into Bluetooth and car mode to talk to the Intercom. Next on goes either Kevlar jeans or Goretex trousers depending on the weather.

Boots are next with zip and Velcro fastenings. Then the neck warmer and jacket goes on. I then switch on the intercom on the helmet (unless it’s on charge in which case I have to mount it to the helmet and plug the cable in). The next item is the drift ghost which gets switched on and the microphone cable plugged in (this always seems to be on charge and away from the helmet), I also power up the remote which is then attached to the wrist by a strap.

On goes the helmet with all the technology attached, making sure of course not to trap the microphone when I put the flip front down, I put my sunglasses on as my eyes don’t like the sun anymore. Finally the gloves – undo all the Velcro fasteners , wiggle them on and re-do all the Velcro fastenings. Zip the jacket cuffs up over them, go and find the keys and off we go.

Total time approx 15 minutes...and they say we are making progress.... :008: :008:   Unless of course I need the sat nav to know where I am going in which case .....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:06:19 PM by markymark11 »
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
Re: The older I get, the better I was...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
That sounds like me 😂
What if the whole world farted at once?

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
Let's go for a RIIIIDE!  :008:

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Carbon Grey - 2016
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
That's about it Sonny   :008: :008: :008:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 - Versys GT
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Ahh the old days....Spot on.

For me it's probably more the older I get, the (slightly) more sensible I become. My first bike was the classic FS1E. Jeans, tee shirt and Docs were the order of the day. Gloves optional. Wellies, Sou'wester, some kind of plastic trousers that melted on the exhaust and marigolds if it was wet   :123A:

I've just been out for a quick ride and the prep was longer than the ride  :027:

Offline beertown

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Milwaukee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
To go for a ride was pull out the bike put on a helmet maybe adjust suspension (both a lot lighter) And now pulling the bike out, checking the tires, adjust suspension for wife and then10-15 minutes finally taking the 15 minutes to get readywith our gear and  .... have to take it off  :172: forgot to go to the bath room before starting  :192:  . 

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »
It's not all about the time spent in preparing for a ride on our Versys though....

I used to spend hours (literally) fettling one of my Triples before I set off for a ride, in fact I probably spent more time fettling than I did riding  :008:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 - Versys GT
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
Yeah, it's no bad thing at all.

I used to eat loads of fast food. Instant gratification. I'm hungry...feed me. Job done. Now it's all about planning and preparing food, or planning where to eat etc. I could think of a more accurate analogy, but maybe it's a bit too much  :5: ...a certain Mr Sting and his Tantric boasting would be the clue.

So the prep is a huge part of it now. And damn, it does feel good once you sit on the bike with all your gear on and set off.  :biker3:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by oldtimer [+]
Yeah, it's no bad thing at all.

I used to eat loads of fast food. Instant gratification. I'm hungry...feed me. Job done. Now it's all about planning and preparing food, or planning where to eat etc. I could think of a more accurate analogy, but maybe it's a bit too much  :5: ...a certain Mr Sting and his Tantric boasting would be the clue.

So the prep is a huge part of it now. And damn, it does feel good once you sit on the bike with all your gear on and set off.  :biker3:

Brilliant oldtimer, I dont know how but you just managed to get food and Stings Tantric exercises into the same sentence  , that must deserve some kind if award  :4:    :4:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics