Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: lowered with the MotoWerk plates do I lower the front shocks also?  (Read 585 times)

Offline abrockett

• Versys Newbie
  • Andy B
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Garland
Ok so the basics 2017 Versys 1000  Experienced rider but I also do not ride any where near aggressively. Probably havent rubbed a peg more than a couple of times on the 4 diff bikes I have owned.
So for a lot of reasons I just lowered the back with the MotoWerks plates (very easy simple Mod with great instructions)
I have been reading for awhile about doing this and the general conscientious is one should lower the front forks approx the same distance in order to keep the geometry correct.
But I did read one post some where that a guy had lowered the back and not the front solving the issue of the seat pushing one forward and he felt it did not effect the handling really much at all and that the average non aggressive rider as myself would be just fine from a handling and safety aspect 
I know this is opening a can of worms but I really need to figure out if by Not lowering the front shocks and am I really creating an unsafe riding set up?

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Re: lowered with the MotoWerk plates do I lower the front shocks also?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »
Speedy at Motowerks used my bike to test out his products for the V-1000. We lowered the back with his lowering plates but i left the front alone because i would be taking the plates back off after a review. I like the way the bike felt and handled lowered in the back but stock up front. The only issue is you would still need to shorten the kick stand or the bike will be too upright when on the kick stand. When i had my 09 Versys 650 i had lowered both ends but later put the front back to stock and left it that way...
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline abrockett

• Versys Newbie
  • Andy B
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Garland
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:05:50 PM »
Your answer is very helpful I was going to call Motowerks and talk to them about this but I picked the time when they are shut down for a couple weeks. I did shorten the kickstand also all ready.
Your info is very helpful in a short initial test ride I really like the ride and handling with just the back lowered just trying to reassure myself that it will be safe at highway speeds
Thanks

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
I'm sure others may disagree, but I'm with Weljo on this.  Lowered the rear only on mine about 3K miles ago, and it rides just fine.  And with my stubby 30" legs I'm no longer on tiptoes at stops.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:07:21 AM »
I'm another with a lowered rear and stock shocks.  Bike feels fine at 120mph

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:52:33 AM »
But if you think about it, lowering the back and leaving the front is certainly changing steering geometry. It is increasing rake and trail and in effect "lengthening" the forks in relation to the lowered rear. It isn't dramatic, but a step in the direction of chopper geometry where you get stronger straight-line tracking, harder to push the bike off line and at very slow speeds a tendency to "flop" toward the stops when turned.

The V is so nimble and neutral in steering forces that the change might not be noticeable and it might be pleasing, I don't know. It's surely not enough different to be dangerous.

But if you want to preserve the steering geometry exactly, the forks will have to be pushed up the triple trees the same distance the rear was lowered.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics

waggish