Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rpm and real mph  (Read 672 times)

Offline itlives

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Doyline
Rpm and real mph
« on: May 05, 2018, 04:57:26 AM »
Hopefully I'm not starting just another "oil" thread. I'm in the beginning stages of planning my one big trip I take every year .  I'm not used to this in-line four but I think the rpm's are a little high for a multi day trip at 75 mph. .
My Super Tenere was doing 80 indicated- 76 actual- at 4,000 rpm. I had a Garmin on the Tenere that was used more for the speedo than directions...but I left it on when I traded it. (It was a $40 one from a pawn shop).
I will get another Garmin but for now, can someone tell me how fast our Versus has to indicate to be actually going 75mph?
I plan on doing another SS1000 on the trip and noticed someone in here has it in their Sig. I'm thinking a front/rear sprocket change to 16/41 will be enough.
Thanks in advance for any info - Mike

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Rpm and real mph
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:09 AM »
On mine an indicated 70 is 4,250 rpm. The speedo is about 3 mph optimistic there by my Garmin. I haven’t noticed what a true 70 is but I know what you mean about the motor feeling buzzy because my K1200LT was running at around 3,500 rpm at a true 70. The V is smoothing out all the time for me and there is now little indication of revs through the bars after 1,200 miles. In fact I hit an indicated 80 on the motorway yesterday and there was no difference to the feel of the engine to warn me.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:41:33 AM »
The speedo on the Versys does read 'fast' and a true 70 (by Garmin) on mine is indicated at 75 mph on the instruments

The other thing to note is that many owners have thought that the Big Versys should have a seventh gear because it sounds to be revving high and it has an amazing ability to 'pull' hard in 6th gear

itlives, I wouldn't worry about it, just ride your bike and enjoy......some members have changed the front and or rear sprockets in order to change the gearing to their satisfaction  :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Without going  :94: (much), sorry.

Which gives the more accurate reading, the bike's speedometer or a fitted Sat Nav.......... :lostit:

I always thought a Sat Nav had a delay, if that makes sense. Or, most probably it is me just being thick, which is more the likely........ :008:

Offline Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1000 green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 11:09:47 AM »

BikerMan - you've only gone a bit off topic so never mind  :1: :1:

In UK all bike and car speedos over-read by between 3 and 5% - allegedly this is done by the car manufacturers so that when you are caught speeding you can't blame the speedo (and therefore the manufacturer- lawyers would love to sue an organisation with money  :125:) for under-reading. So riding about 79 mph on speedo will be about 75mph actual. And on my bike that is about 4500 revs in 6th gear.

SatNavs do have a very small delay - moving from a 60mph to a lower limit you will often be a second or so within the new limit before the satnav screen changes - but this is immaterial when tracking your speed.  In my experience the satnav is more accurate than the speedo in my car and on my bike.  And like Mike I ride to the satnav speed  :031:

Tony

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tony the oldie [+]
BikerMan - you've only gone a bit off topic so never mind  :1: :1:

In UK all bike and car speedos over-read by between 3 and 5% - allegedly this is done by the car manufacturers so that when you are caught speeding you can't blame the speedo (and therefore the manufacturer- lawyers would love to sue an organisation with money  :125:) for under-reading. So riding about 79 mph on speedo will be about 75mph actual. And on my bike that is about 4500 revs in 6th gear.

SatNavs do have a very small delay - moving from a 60mph to a lower limit you will often be a second or so within the new limit before the satnav screen changes - but this is immaterial when tracking your speed.  In my experience the satnav is more accurate than the speedo in my car and on my bike.  And like Mike I ride to the satnav speed  :031:

Tony

Tony,

Many thanks for explaining that to me so succinctly.
It is something that has been bugging me for a long time!  :028: :028: :028:

Online Vespista1960

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
I've done many long trips with BigV and I've never thought the engine revving high to be an issue.
You may at first notice the high revving coming from a different bike, but it's just a matter of habit. You'll find that the comfort is great even during long highway transfers and you'll appreciate the power reserve always ready to pull.
Leave the sprocket alone. You will soon cease to look for the seventh... :002:

Online Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »

Offline itlives

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by BikerMan [+]
Without going  :94: (much), sorry.

Which gives the more accurate reading, the bike's speedometer or a fitted Sat Nav.......... :lostit:

I always thought a Sat Nav had a delay, if that makes sense. Or, most probably it is me just being thick, which is more the likely........ :008:
You wouldn't use the Garmin while going through the gears. I only need it for sustained long distance.

Offline itlives

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 04:48:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
I've done many long trips with BigV and I've never thought the engine revving high to be an issue.
You may at first notice the high revving coming from a different bike, but it's just a matter of habit. You'll find that the comfort is great even during long highway transfers and you'll appreciate the power reserve always ready to pull.
Leave the sprocket alone. You will soon cease to look for the seventh... :002:

I will change at least one sprocket (probably the rear) to lower the rpms a little. You're probably right though about coming of my big twin. And, as others have said, the engine gets smoother when broken in. I have less than 600 miles on mine.....and love the straight gear whine and smooth power delivery!

Recent Topics

waggish