Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rpm and real mph  (Read 909 times)

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
Re: Rpm and real mph
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by itlives [+]
Hopefully I'm not starting just another "oil" thread. I'm in the beginning stages of planning my one big trip I take every year .  I'm not used to this in-line four but I think the rpm's are a little high for a multi day trip at 75 mph. .
My Super Tenere was doing 80 indicated- 76 actual- at 4,000 rpm. I had a Garmin on the Tenere that was used more for the speedo than directions...but I left it on when I traded it. (It was a $40 one from a pawn shop).
I will get another Garmin but for now, can someone tell me how fast our Versus has to indicate to be actually going 75mph?
I plan on doing another SS1000 on the trip and noticed someone in here has it in their Sig. I'm thinking a front/rear sprocket change to 16/41 will be enough.
Thanks in advance for any info - Mike
Comparing revs and speed between the Tenere and the Versys is a bit misleading since the Versys is an in-line four while the Tenere is a parallel twin. That means that the Versys will always be smoother at the same revs because smaller pistons make smaller bangs.

The Versys is geared to 3,000 rpm at 80kph indicated (50mph) in top gear, so you can work the rest out from that. For example, 120kph (74.5 mph) is 4,500rpm. 6k rpm is 160kph (99.4mph)

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
Cruising back to the hotel down the A74M yesterday I was able to check the revs at 70 mph as indicated by my Garmin Zumo 660. The clock showed 74 mph and the rev counter was on 4,500 rpm.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline itlives

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Doyline
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 03:32:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rockdoc [+]
Cruising back to the hotel down the A74M yesterday I was able to check the revs at 70 mph as indicated by my Garmin Zumo 660. The clock showed 74 mph and the rev counter was on 4,500 rpm.

Keith
Thanks, Keith.  That's the info I needed to hear. I think she's a keeper. I like long cruises at around 75 mph. Drop a tooth in the back sprocket and she'll relaxed just enough to ride many hours!

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 06:19:22 AM »
Itís a personal thing, isnít it? So much of motorcycling is, after all. Mine felt buzzy at first compared to my K1200LT because of the light vibration but now thatís gone the bike feels pretty much the same at 50 as it does at 70. Now that Iím used to it the revs arenít really noticeable and the ride is simply the way the bike is.

Iím happy with mine. You know how to be happy with yours. As they say on your side of the pond: Enjoy!

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Recent Topics