Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rider is blown off road  (Read 732 times)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Rider is blown off road
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
I thought this one was worth sharing. I ride in some high winds from time to time. The tall Versys is relatively sensitive to them. I do not add speed to buy stability, though...  :5:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/video-surviving-crosswinds
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Re: Rider is blown off road
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
I thought this one was worth sharing. I ride in some high winds from time to time. The tall Versys is relatively sensitive to them. I do not add speed to buy stability, though...  :5:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/video-surviving-crosswinds

Back in the 80's on my GS 1000L  A storm was popping up as i was just going past Duncanville heading into Ft.Worth on I-20 got some heavy winds that had my bike leaning to one side then a big gust blew me across the next 2 lanes so i got off the road and sat beneath an underpass at the next exit to wait it out...
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »
We had high crosswinds today between Donaghadee and Portaferry on our way to catch the ferry across Strangford Lough, mind you the road is right alongside the sea shore, so it was to be expected, bloody windy though   :goggle:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 11:24:08 PM »
Sometimes I just don't believe what people do.
He was obviously struggling with the cross wind, it would be worse when overtaking, he was riding on the left part of the road so had little leeway and then after went straight back up to the same speed again   :027:

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:32:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
Sometimes I just don't believe what people do.
He was obviously struggling with the cross wind, it would be worse when overtaking, he was riding on the left part of the road so had little leeway and then after went straight back up to the same speed again   :027:
         I was thinking just the same Bart.       :124:   :138:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline Admin

• Forum Administrator
  • Versys Pro
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
Yep +1

And why did he post a video on YouTube that clearly showed he was breaking the speed limit. I ride pretty fast sometimes but I don't publicise it to the world.

A numpty all round in my opinion.  :138:

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
A lot of vloggers take care to pixellate their speedos when speeding. I've heard that in some parts of the US police will use youtube video as evidence of speeding and issue tickets by mail. I'm surprised they don't do the same for wheelieing and reckless riding on public streets as well. There's certainly no shortage of such riding on YouTube.

As to windblown CB500 guy, he may not have been speeding. There are many 80mph stretches on US interstate highways. What he was doing was overdriving the wind conditions. If you are in danger of being blown out of your lane or off the road, you don't want all that kinetic energy stored in the bike. If you go down it's going to be an awfully long slide. He also showed poor judgement by overtaking a semi truck on its downwind side. It's easy to see he passed the semi with it blocking his crosswind, then entered the bow shock from the truck and re-entered the X-wind at the same time and got himself overwhelmed.  :003:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:42:50 AM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
A lot of vloggers take care to pixellate their speedos when speeding. I've heard that in some parts of the US police will use youtube video as evidence of speeding and issue tickets by mail. I'm surprised they don't do the same for wheelieing and reckless riding on public streets as well. There's certainly no shortage of such riding on YouTube.

As to windblown CB500 guy, he may not have been speeding. There are many 80mph stretches on US interstate highways. What he was doing was overdriving the wind conditions. If you are in danger of being blown out of your lane or off the road, you don't want all that kinetic energy stored in the bike. If you go down it's going to be an awfully long slide. He also showed poor judgement by overtaking a semi truck on its downwind side. It's easy to see he passed the semi with it blocking his crosswind, then entered the bow shock from the truck and re-entered the X-wind at the same time and got himself overwhelmed.  :003:

Exactly,   :89: 

I reckon we have all, at some time or other, been caught out by the shelter from a wagon and then hit the bow wave of air from the front of the vehicle

Not only that but severe cross winds like that are extremely hazardous for wagon drivers too, so extra care should always be taken when in close proximity to high sided type vehicles
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
... Not only that but severe cross winds like that are extremely hazardous for wagon drivers too, so extra care should always be taken when in close proximity to high sided type vehicles

Good point.

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
Wooo..recall seeing same behind a Goldwing being like a sail in the cross wind downdraft before heavy rain started 20 years back. He just went side to side off the road then in Thailand. Lucky my buddy managed to stop in time.  :020:

This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Recent Topics

waggish