Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tank bag recommendation  (Read 686 times)

Offline jls1000

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Houston
Tank bag recommendation
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »
I saw an older thread on this subject, and being a newbie I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to start a new thread, but that's what I'm going to do. You guys can tell me if I should do this differently.

So, I need a tank bag of moderate size, with the clear pouch on the top. I don't mind being a bit on the larger size as long as it clears everything. I have looked on several sites, but it's hard to tell how the various bags will work on the Versys 1000. I think I'm leaning toward one with a lock ring, but would like to hear opinions on other options as well. Thanks!!  :001:
Louis from Houston Texas

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Re: Tank bag recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by jls1000 [+]
I saw an older thread on this subject, and being a newbie I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to start a new thread, but that's what I'm going to do. You guys can tell me if I should do this differently.

So, I need a tank bag of moderate size, with the clear pouch on the top. I don't mind being a bit on the larger size as long as it clears everything. I have looked on several sites, but it's hard to tell how the various bags will work on the Versys 1000. I think I'm leaning toward one with a lock ring, but would like to hear opinions on other options as well. Thanks!!  :001:
Hi JLS - I started a tank bag thread last November - that might be the one you're referring to.  You'll get a lot of excellent suggestions. https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,18310.10.html

After weighing all the advice and recommendations, I ended up choosing the SW Motech Quick-Lock EVO Daypack tank bag.  It's medium size (5-9L), and uses the EVO tank ring.  I am quite happy with the Daypack tank bag.  I hadn't heard of the tank ring before, but am very pleased with it.
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-non-electric-quick-lock-evo-daypack-tank-bag
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:02:13 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Online Bob

• Versys Pro
  • Acts 4:12
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Palmdale
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »
Bob
----------
Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. (Romans 12:17)

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:03:39 AM »
I bought a Givi Tanklock bag and like it very much. I only went with a 5l one to keep a few bits and bobs in  but I’ve no doubt larger bags in the range would work as well. They just introduced a version that locks to the tank ring, if that might be useful.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline Aardvark

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Liskeard, Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »
I also use the sw motech tank ring system. There are several advantages to these systems including ease of use - when you come to refuel it's so much simpler to unlock & remove the bag compared to strap on designs. Magnetic bags can be easy but you risk scratching your tank with them whereas the sw motech bags barely even touch the tank. I have a Micro (2.5 - 5 l) for everyday use and a Trial (15 - 22 l) for touring.

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
I need a tank bag of moderate size, with the clear pouch on the top
The SW-MOTECH Quick-lock tank bags can have a Map Holder added. http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/bags-connection-map-holder-for-quick-lock-tankbags
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
I recently got the Givi EA102B https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/281863 which I quite like. It is not ideal but it does the job well enough for me.

Offline jls1000

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aardvark [+]
I also use the sw motech tank ring system. There are several advantages to these systems including ease of use - when you come to refuel it's so much simpler to unlock & remove the bag compared to strap on designs. Magnetic bags can be easy but you risk scratching your tank with them whereas the sw motech bags barely even touch the tank. I have a Micro (2.5 - 5 l) for everyday use and a Trial (15 - 22 l) for touring.
Does the Trial fit well? Do you have a picture of your bike with it on there?
Louis from Houston Texas

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
I also have a SW Motech Evo City with the tank lock ring and too be honest I find clipping the bag on a bit awkward, but I've probably been spoilt by years of magnetic bags. But saying that, it is on its second bike now and has never fallen off over many miles and the odd spill.

Offline Aardvark

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Liskeard, Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »
Does the Trial fit well? Do you have a picture of your bike with it on there?
I haven't fitted the Trial to the V1k yet but I have no doubt that it will be fine because I have used it on my previous V650 mk.3 which, afaik, has exactly the same fuel tank. I do have pictures but don't have access to my laptop for a few days.

Recent Topics

waggish