Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: "Burping" Oil Filter During Oil Change: Yes  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Rickrides

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Grand Terrace, CA
"Burping" Oil Filter During Oil Change: Yes
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:05:49 PM »
Having recently seen this topic on the forum and being about ready to perform my third oil change at 7K miles, I contacted a friend who works at Kawasaki HQ in Irvine about the issue.  He got back to me and said that he confirmed with people at HQ that it would be a good idea to leave the oil filter slightly loose while filling the oil and on initial engine start up until a small amount of oil comes out of the filter, which can then be tightened to spec.  I did my oil change that way and the oil pressure light went out after 4-5 seconds.  A bit of oil came out of the filter-engine connection and fell in the drain pan but not too bad. 

I had already performed two oil changes before reading about this issue and checking with my friend so, fingers crossed.  I purchased an extended warranty for the bike so if there's going to be a problem it should be covered.  I am changing the oil frequently and am now using Castrol full synthetic motorcycle specific 10-40 and a K & N filter at every oil change.  Kawasaki can't bitch about that. 

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Brighton
Re: "Burping" Oil Filter During Oil Change: Yes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:31:03 AM »
I've not tried "burping" the oil filter before.  I fill the oil filter with oil before installing it.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Rickrides

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
I've not tried "burping" the oil filter before.  I fill the oil filter with oil before installing it.

Probably get the same result.  How much oil do you drop as you screw it on?

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:08:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rickrides [+]
Probably get the same result.  How much oil do you drop as you screw it on?
Maybe a drop or two - if any.  I fill the filter 3/4, let it settle, top it off, and install.  I've done it so many times over the years on my two bikes that hardly a drop is spilled.  If anything.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Versomaniak

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 MY2018
  • City / Town: Athens Greece
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
I have exactly the same problem with Versys 1000 ΜΥ2018  model.
When I change oil and filter on my motorcycle, if I do not let the oil filter a bit unscrewed in order to run oil from the oil filter, the red lamp F1 on the tacho it remains permanently awaited as a sign of low oil pressure.

Μy mechanic knew the problem because he is a Z1000 owner and told me that we will fill the oil filter with oil and we will see what will happen.
We fill the oil filter with oil, but it did not change anything, the red F1 lamp on the tacho remains permanently awake, just unscrew the oil filter to run oil and.......all good.

Τhis problem is indeed very disturbing.....  :125: :125: :125: :125: :125: :125: :125: :125: :760: :760: :760: :760:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »
I don't see this as a "problem" or "disturbing " TBH if I understand your post correctly it seems that you/your mechanic have now solved the 'problem'   :759:   

Many members on here have changed their own oil and filter for a long time and have never experienced any worrying after effects with their bikes   :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Rickrides

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:29:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I don't see this as a "problem" or "disturbing " TBH if I understand your post correctly it seems that you/your mechanic have now solved the 'problem'   :759:   

Many members on here have changed their own oil and filter for a long time and have never experienced any worrying after effects with their bikes   :002:   

I've had many bikes, including several Kawasakis.  On my prior Kawasakis (including my current '99 ZRX) the oil filter is a paper element and a cover must be removed from underneath the motor to remove the filter.  So, filter is vertical.  Never a problem with the oil pressure light remaining on for more than 2-3 seconds after an oil change. 

With my wife's Yamaha FZ-6 and current FJ09 have horizontal filters and they don't have any issue with the oil pressure light staying on for more than 1-2 seconds after an oil change--without leaving the filter loose, etc.

So, this is a bit of a concern if the fact the oil pressure light is on means there is no oil pressure for some period of time after start up

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rickrides [+]
I've had many bikes, including several Kawasakis.  On my prior Kawasakis (including my current '99 ZRX) the oil filter is a paper element and a cover must be removed from underneath the motor to remove the filter.  So, filter is vertical.  Never a problem with the oil pressure light remaining on for more than 2-3 seconds after an oil change. 

With my wife's Yamaha FZ-6 and current FJ09 have horizontal filters and they don't have any issue with the oil pressure light staying on for more than 1-2 seconds after an oil change--without leaving the filter loose, etc.

So, this is a bit of a concern if the fact the oil pressure light is on means there is no oil pressure for some period of time after start up

Or maybe the Versys 1000 oil pressure switch is calibrated differently  :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Thrust

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 15 V1k & V Strom 650
  • City / Town: NC
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 03:51:03 AM »
This issue is common on some Versys and no issue on others. It has been an issue on my Versys and on others that my friend's ride. After looking at the parts breakdown you will notice that the oil filter is attached to the oil pan, the oil pump has to pull up through a passage from the bottom of the oil pan and eventually to the filter. If you install the filter then add oil this causes the air to get trapped between the oil pan and the oil filter causing pump cavitation thus the need to burp the air filter. The easiest way to avoid this is to drain the oil and remove the oil filter. Then add your oil first fill your oil filter with oil and then install the oil filter this limits the amount of air in the passageway and should eliminate the need to burp the filter I have been doing this is since my first oil change and have never had to burp the filter since.(and no the oil will not come out of filter housing) try it it's an easy solution to a simple issue.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:52:57 AM by Thrust »

Offline Old Biker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk1
  • City / Town: East Grinstead
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 08:21:10 AM »
Sounds sensible I will try it next time. Thanks for the advice.

Recent Topics