Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Guide On Swing Arm - Noise  (Read 468 times)

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Carbon Grey - 2016
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Chain Guide On Swing Arm - Noise
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »
Has anyone found a way to stop the noise from the chain guide ? I have tried a variety of chain waxes and lubes but I still get a "clattering" on the overrun or when the chain is not under load. I have adjusted the chain correctly and I can eliminate the noise by spraying wax on it but it comes back quite soon.

I saw a post by Tyke where he thought you can get it in a different material but I haven't seen anything since. The actual chain guard is £50 so I would prefer a more "inventive" solution.  :002:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Chain Guide On Swing Arm - Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
Has anyone found a way to stop the noise from the chain guide ? I have tried a variety of chain waxes and lubes but I still get a "clattering" on the overrun or when the chain is not under load. I have adjusted the chain correctly and I can eliminate the noise by spraying wax on it but it comes back quite soon.

I saw a post by Tyke where he thought you can get it in a different material but I haven't seen anything since. The actual chain guard is £50 so I would prefer a more "inventive" solution.  :002:

As soon as I saw the title of this thread bells of familiarity began to ring in the empty void I refer to as my head  :008: 

The issue of 'noisy chain guide' was quite profound with first generation Versys 1000 but not so much on gen 2, IMHO I can't suggest what to do other than keep your chain and your sacrificial guide clean and see if that helps

Weljo posted recently about cleaning out the crud that accumulates behind the front sprocket cover...you may wish to check that area too, Weljo's post will help you in this respect  :028:   

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,18613.msg214986.html#msg214986   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:37:43 PM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »
Thanks tyke, I did clean the front sprocket area the other day but will keep an eye on it as well  :002: :002:

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »
I must be half deaf, or the Silkolene chain lube I use quiets the noise. I have been aware of various buzzes coming and going from the bar / fairing area over time, so I'm not stone deaf... and can still hear my sainted wife half the time... more evidence...  :138:  :008:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
I do notice when the chain doesn't sound right (sloppy, out of alignment etc.) so I know I am not deaf, but otherwise my chain sounds as near silent as makes no difference, or at least, as quiet as it is on any other bike have ridden. I lubricate it with ordinary engine oil and clean it less often then I should so I am not doing anything special.

The chain should be floating over the guide, not dragging along it, so do you have your pre-load cranked way up or done anything else that might change the angle of the swing arm, forcing the chain against the guide? Are you still on the OEM chain and how many miles are on the chain? Has it always been noisy or have you just become aware and then sensitive to the sound? 

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
All good points Paul thank you. It is the OEM chain, and has now done 4400 miles. Had it's dealer services at 600 and 3500 as per the book. I have the preload set to 8 clicks in for normal use and then 12 with luggage.

Apart from an adjustment the other week which I checked with a straight edge and the marks on the swing arm which all tied up, I haven't changed anything except to try different chain lubes. I noticed it at maybe about 2k miles (approx guess) and as I said it depends on what chain lube I use as to how long it stays quiet.

With it on the centre stand and turning the wheel  you can hear it scraping on the guide ...dose it with wax and it goes quiet...but then comes back after a few hundred miles, hence the original question. I don't believe there is an alignment problem. I bought it new and have never dropped or banged it and the noise just started to get more noticeable as time went on. I definitely didn't notice it when the bike was new.

I have used engine oil, Sillkolene spray (not wax), Wurth Dry chain lube (not wax) and currently WD40 chain wax.

EDIT: I guess there must be an alignment problem of some sort if I am the only one having the issue - I will check the rear sprocket and front sprocket this afternoon to see if there is any warping but I couldn't see anything obvious when I cleaned it all the other day (doesn't mean there isn't though , of course).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:24:04 AM by markymark11 »

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
If the noise goes away after lubrication why not fit an automatic oiler ?

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
With it on the centre stand and turning the wheel  you can hear it scraping on the guide ...dose it with wax and it goes quiet...but then comes back after a few hundred miles, hence the original question. I don't believe there is an alignment problem. I bought it new and have never dropped or banged it and the noise just started to get more noticeable as time went on. I definitely didn't notice it when the bike was new.
That is normal behavior. On the center stand the rear wheel hangs down so the chain *must* run over the rail to reach the sprocket or it would rub metal, that is why the rail is there. Next time you are on a quite bit of road with no following traffic, pull the clutch and let the revs drop to idle (or kill the engine if you are feeling brave) and have a listen. You probably wont hear anything unusual as when the rear wheel is in its proper position, with the front sprocket pulling on the chain, there should be very little contact with the rail. 

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
Another thing you could check for is how much play is in the chain in the middle of the rear sprocket. Grab a link about half way around and see how far can you pull it away from the sprocket, how far can you twist it, and how far you can push it side to side. On a low mileage chain like yours, I would not expect much movement but some OEM chain's are not very good and you may have more then the expected wear which would increase the noise.

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:18:44 PM »
Thanks guys. So I've spent the morning dismantling the rear end, I removed the axle and the wheel and adjusters and the chain guard. I removed and cleaned everything, greased everything up, including cleaning the chain guide, and re-assembled. I re-aligned the chain and was extra careful about tension etc.

I have gone round the block and the noise has gone so I am guessing that I didn't have the chain tension or alignment quite right. It may have been a combination of things. The chain still has wax on it so only time will tell but I intend to give it another good clean at the weekend as I have run out of time now.

Paul - I think the chain is fine it only moves sideways slightly at the rear of the sprocket - I can't pull it away and there are no "tight" spots as you turn the wheel.

Bart - I may get a scotoiler if I can't solve it - that's a good idea either way. I used to have a tuturo on my last bike and it worked brilliantly.

Anyway time will tell. - Thank you all for your ideas and input. :031:

Recent Topics

waggish