Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First brake fluid change after 2300Km  (Read 451 times)

Offline Versomaniak

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 MY2018
  • City / Town: Athens Greece
First brake fluid change after 2300Km
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:55 AM »
As in any new vehicle, so in my brand new Versys 1000 MY2018  (purchase date 26/02/2018) i made the first brake fluid change from early.
I could not imagine what I would see.....

The rear caliper brake fluid was at tragically condition, simple black, why so much ?
The front calipers brake fluid it's OK.

I think the KTRC system destroys the brake fluids from back caliper and needs very frequent changes.
The new brake fluid i used is Motul RBF600 DOT4 and i'll do another preventative change after 1000km to see what the existing liquor will be.

what's your opinion?

Brake fluid from BACK caliper

Brake fluid from FRONT calipers

New brake fluid on back caliper container filling
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:29:46 AM by Versomaniak »

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: First brake fluid change after 2300Km
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
 :5:   How many mile has your bike covered Versomaniak  :question: 

EDIT: Just checked mine and it's perfectly clean, my bike has covered 3500 miles from new (April 2017)

Are sure yours isn't contaminated with cigarette ash  :015:       
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:43:42 AM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Versomaniak

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
Dear TYKE the bike have 1450 miles at now.

When the export of brake fluid begin, the color of the brake fluid is OK normal, but this first brake fluid is they are where they are inside the caliper.
Αfter 8-9 export rounds the black brake fluid starts to appear, here reasonably this black brake fluid is through inside unit of the ABS/KTRC i think. And the unit it hurts the brake fluid.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:47:27 AM by Versomaniak »

Offline peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
I think premature darkening of the rear brake fluid has been mentioned here before but I can't remember if any definitive answer has been given.

The first reason that comes to mind for this to happen so soon on a new bike is excessive heat. Due to not being exposed to direct airflow and also because of the heat coming from the cat and exhaust the rear brake probably gets quite hot. I think someone even had the rear brake overheat and seize.

Personally I haven't had this happening to me but I only use the rear brake for stabilising the bike while braking with the front. Still, I did notice the rear brake fluid getting slightly darker while the front remains largely the same colour between the yearly change.

Just in case - make sure your rear brake pedal is not set too high so that you inadvertently press on it slightly while riding  Did you also notice premature wear of the rear brake pads?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:19:35 AM by peter73 »

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
The brake fluid takes colour from the rubber seal inside the lid of the reservoir.

Offline peter73

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Sofia
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul_Smith [+]
The brake fluid takes colour from the rubber seal inside the lid of the reservoir.

Is the rubber seal for the rear reservoir different from the one on front?

Offline Paul_Smith

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by peter73 [+]
Is the rubber seal for the rear reservoir different from the one on front?
Yes. The rear is big and black and rubber. The front is small and neat and (I think) silicone.

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
This thread prompted me to check my brake fluid condition....the rear is dark and fails... the front is clear and passes...
make of this what you will but I do not believe its the cap that is causing the color...my rear  has a much higher moisture content than my front which will absolutely cause the fluid to darken

Ill be flushing it out as soon as I can get some fluid 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:44:32 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline Versomaniak

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
Boys the black color of the back brake caliper fluid, has nothing to do with the rubber seal silicone cap as well as it has nothing to do with moisture.

The black color of the brake fluid swows heavy use or high temps in the back brake circuit.

Τhe black color is going on from ehxaust (high temps) or the KTRC unit (heavy use).

At this time I have a very high quality brake fluid (Motul RBF600), and in one month i will make a change of the rear brake fluid again, to see what I will see.

And the Versys 650 MK3 which i had before he had the same rubber seal silicone cap on his lid, and the back caliper brake fluids it's ok when i change it after 1 year (8000 miles).

Here two photos from the back caliper blake fluid of Versys 650 MK3.
Look the color..... It's OK. The brake fluid works for 1 year-8000 miles, but the Versys 650 MK3 has not ehxaust front the back caliper and KTRC system...... but has the same  rubber seal silicone cap on his lid.....

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:31:37 PM by Versomaniak »

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: East Coast
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Versomaniak [+]
Boys he black color of the back brake caliper fluid, has nothing to do with the rubber seal silicone cap as well as it has nothing to do with moisture.

It may very well have nothing to do with the cap, but moisture WILL turn fluid dark, and mine tested very high in the rear and not in the front.

That is probably due to the fact that the front is sealed much better than the rear is.

so, you cant say that moisture is not the cause  when it clearly can be

Recent Topics

waggish