Author Topic: New member here!  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Organist

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versus 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Pagham
New member here!
on: May 20, 2018, 07:12:43 PM
Dear Versys friends,

I'm new to the world of Versys, picking up my Versys 1000 grand Tourer next Friday! It's the biggest bike I've ever owned and I have to say I'm a little scared, having previously owned a lovely W800 from new. I sold it reluctantly two years ago when I moved abroad and couldn't take it with me. Having now returned to the UK I have found that regrettably it's not made anymore, so I decided to try out other bikes. I tried out the BMW F800gt but found it rather uncomfortable for long distance and the luggage was SO expensive! I also looked at the Yamaha tracer (700&900) and other offerings from the major manufacturers. I then decided on a new 650 Versys but having set my heart on one, took it out for a spin and was so massively disappointed. The dealership (Alf's motorcycles) suggested that I try the 1000cc version and I reluctantly agreed. Well just managing it off the forecourt was enough to convince me....it is such a beautifully, tracktable and understanding machine - please bear in mind that I've never owned a machine with more than two cylinders OR with more than 50hp, so you can understand my trepidation!! I took it for a spin on the same route that I had done on the 650 and returned with a smile as wide as a mile! Also very impressed with the 55mpg I got too! Without prevarication I bought a beautiful fully dressed one with all the accessories including grip heaters and am excited beyond belief! I thank you for your welcome and as instructed, a virtual drink is on its way to you all! Thanks for reading my waffle, but I'm so glad to be out of my car and on two wheels again!! XXX

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Carbon Grey - 2016
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Re: New member here!
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:28:09 PM
..and a very warm welcome to you. this is a very friendly forum and full of information so don't be afraid to ask (or waffle  :008:) Maybe keep it in low power mode while running in and it will give you time to get used to it before unleashing the full potential. You will love it, it's a great bike  :152: :152:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Online stuf

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 07:47:29 PM
Hello and welcome.
My previous bike was a BMWF800ST you really have made the right choice.
Enjoy the bike and the forum.
Good advice to be found here.
 :031:
Stu

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:31:00 PM
Welcome aboard.   :031:   What disappointed you about the 650?

Offline Organist

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versus 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Pagham
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 04:53:12 AM
I loved the look of it and it seemed to tick all the boxes I had decided upon.
However I found it lumpy, not very tracktable, very 'bobby' and not at all comfortable. The power seemed very low and even with a decent handful of throttle, was hardly exhilarating in the power stakes. Bear in mind that my last bike was a w800 with only about 50hp, I was expecting much more from this engine. I found the gear change very vague and the screen all but useless too, although at 5/11" I'm hardly oversized. Overall I just didn't like it at all and would've bought the BMW until I tried the Versys 1000, which was truly in a different league!

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:02:42 AM
Welcome! The tractability of the V1k is going to be your saviour because itís a big step up from 50 to 120 bhp but this isnít a bike that needs to be ridden at top power to be enjoyable. A tip from my experience: make sure that the slack in the throttle cables is minimised. You need a bit but no more. Mine was quite snatchy until the slack was reduced at the first service. Iíd had no idea where the opening started but afterwards it was great and continues to be so.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 06:03:05 AM
A warm welcome along to this excellent forum with  knowledgeable and helpful members.

The big Versys is a supremely comfortable and very capable, forgiving bike, just prepare yourself for a lot more smiles with a lot more miles....it really is that good  :002:

Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:54:17 AM
Organist,

That's the first time I've heard negative comments about the 650.  I've never ridden one, but all I've heard is praise.  As far as the windscreen, most folks believe that the V1K needs some help also.

BTW -  Do you play in a church? or with a band? or just in the bathroom?

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 03:41:56 PM
Welcome, Organist, from NE Texas, US.  :031:

You should find the Versys 1000 an extraordinary bike. A considerable amount of time is required to figure out exactly what the V1K is and what it can do, which is a great lot of things done very well. All that time is filled with a growing appreciation.

And I believe you are right: it is the amazing engine that allows it to fill the bill for many different kinds of riding style. Break it in as you see fit and get ready for what you have once it is run in and slippery. It is a honey of a powerplant.  :152:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Ex-2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:35:28 PM
Welcome to the Forum Organist. You have made a great choice of bike and a great choice of Forum. I have only owned my bike for coming up to three months at the beginning of June and love every minute of riding it. It just gets better and better................. :152:

waggish