Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: It's official. I'm a born again biker....  (Read 1318 times)

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 - Versys GT
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
It's official. I'm a born again biker....
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:00:32 AM »
Ok, so having just got back last night from a 900mile round trip (in the car) from Aberdeen to Derby and back again in 36 hours, my plans for a 300 mile round trip on the bike today were blocked by my other half who thought I was mad.

So we got up to some lovely warm sunshine here and I felt refreshed so convinced her to jump on board. We set off in glorious sunshine with temps around 18 which is balmy for East coast Scotland. Anyway, by the time we got 40 miles down the road it had completely clouded 9ver and started to drizzle...Scotch mist. Another 20 miles and we pulled over to put on the waterproofs. Oh dear, I'd forgot to pack my missus suit. Mine hadn't been worn in the 4 years since it was shoved in the loft and was about as effective as toilet roll. We got to our friends and squelched off the bike where I had discovered that my brand new £70 Halversan waterproof gloves weren't waterproof, and neither were my missus old boots.

By the time we left and put on all our cold wet clothes, the temperature was a genuine 6 deg C! So that was an agonisingly long 3 hour journey back through windy and wet Scottish roads ....in rush hour.

All I could hear on the torturous journey back was my poor lady shivering in the intercom!

Wow, that brought back memories. It's been a long time since I got caught out that bad. I kept telling Mel that she needed to go through that. It was her right of passage and oh how she'd laugh when she looked back. Surprisingly,  she didn't seem too impressed.

Lesson? I'm in Scotland so bloody well buy some good all weather gear. Don't believe the weather forecast. Never trust in gloves that say waterproof, and don't try and impress the wife by getting her to feel good about suffering.

For me? I still loved it in a stupidly masochistic way. It's what biking is all about. Pain, pleasure and survival. Man and machine up against the elements etc and finally arriving home. Preferably a lot more comfort than pain, but boy does the pain make the pleasure so much more appreciated.

So here I lay in a deliciously hot bath typing out my little adventure so you can all smile and say.....i know how you feel.

:152:

Online Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: It's official. I'm a born again biker....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »
It’ll be a trip that sticks in your memory! I think that trips where the best laid plans have gang agley that are the most memorable.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
I hope SWMBO hasn't been put off biking now oldtimer.   :9:   

The weather patterns at the moment are a bit crazy and somewhat changeable.
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:19 AM »
That was rather unfortunate.

You don't need ‘waterproof’ you need ‘gortex’ 

Have a look a wwwsportsbikeshop.co.uk and any clothing you may be look for boots, gloves, jackets & pants, then filter gortex.
SBS do a free returns service so you can try stuff on in the comfort of your own home. They have a decent turnaround time. If you’re lucky you can pick up a bargain too.

Gortex can be expensive, but it guaranteed 100% waterproof.

On a side note Alpinestars do their own equivalent material to Gortex calmly DryStar which is a little more affordable. Their 2 piece suit look good.   
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
In years to come, it will be easy to remember your wifes last trip on a motorbike... And why.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:07 AM »
 :008: :008: :008:

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
I know how you feel.

Back in 1970, my brother was stationed in Frankfurt and he had access to the British PX and was able to buy me a brand new BSA Lightning Rocket for a ridiculously low amount of money.  I used his apartment as the hub on a wheel and took trips around Europe.

One trip was to Copenhagen and I spent 9 hours riding in 40(F) degree rain on the Autobahn.  My "gear" was a pair of jeans and a jean jacket.  This bike vibrated so badly at 60mph that I would lose most feeling in my hands after 20 minutes, and all the cars were zooming along as fast as they could go.  My shivering was pretty intense, but somehow I managed to make it to Denmark and found the youth hostel I was looking for.  I needed one of those hot baths, you took, but all they had was a shower.  And the shower was outside and only cold water. :lostit:

Yes, your trip was one you and your saintly wife will remember when you are old and gray.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
I enjoyed the ordeals of heat, cold and wet more when I was younger. Now I will tend to scrub a ride if the weather looks poor... of course that's less of a problem in Texas than in some parts of the world.

My odd deal is, I never seem to take ownership of a bike and ride it home without rain. I consider it a rain of benediction for that bike, but sometimes it's a stretch when it involves sudden pop-up thunderstorms, wild winds and stinging downpours. But I still end up grinning and dripping wet at home with my new bike!  :757:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 - Versys GT
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
I know how you feel.

Back in 1970, my brother was stationed in Frankfurt and he had access to the British PX and was able to buy me a brand new BSA Lightning Rocket for a ridiculously low amount of money.  I used his apartment as the hub on a wheel and took trips around Europe.

One trip was to Copenhagen and I spent 9 hours riding in 40(F) degree rain on the Autobahn.  My "gear" was a pair of jeans and a jean jacket.  This bike vibrated so badly at 60mph that I would lose most feeling in my hands after 20 minutes, and all the cars were zooming along as fast as they could go.  My shivering was pretty intense, but somehow I managed to make it to Denmark and found the youth hostel I was looking for.  I needed one of those hot baths, you took, but all they had was a shower.  And the shower was outside and only cold water. :lostit:

Yes, your trip was one you and your saintly wife will remember when you are old and gray.

Yeah, I guess we've all been there. I just didn't think I'd be re-living it now. After yesterday, I think I'm already a lot older and greyer and I think I need to put that memory firmly back under lock and key. Been there, done that...again  :5:

But that feeling of getting back, heating up a rather spicy home made curry and sitting in front of the blazing fire was a pleasure that only comes after hardship  :43:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
Gill and I were returning home to the Lake District from the North West 200 races in 2011, at the time I owned a BMW K1300 GT, the weather was horrendous and after a 4 hour wait  in the ferry harbour car park in Larne the Captain of the delayed ferry radioed ahead to say that he wouldn't take any more bikes on the return crossing as too many had been damaged on the previous crossing, so an unplanned night in a local hotel was enjoyed and we sailed the following morning.

The crossing was ROUGH and we arrived in torrential rain and very high winds, the normal 3 1/2 or so journey home took us over 7 hours... we were very wet, very cold and thoroughly miserable (the BM even had heated seats)

I made a certificate for Gill saying that she had qualified as a 'Gold Star' pillion for enduring such a journey.....she still rides pillion today  :028: 

The following year we returned from a weeks holiday in Cornwall in torrential rain all the way...it took 8 hours on my then GTR 1400...Gill still rides pillion....that woman must be made of steel  :4:   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:00:16 PM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics