Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: It's official. I'm a born again biker....  (Read 1429 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: It's official. I'm a born again biker....
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 08:39:06 PM »
Nah, nothing like that its actually a posh name for a flock of Starlings  :002: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 - Versys GT
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by itlives [+]
You should go where Sonny lives! When I go west, it is usually late night, or WAY around Dallas/Fort Worth . Their regular traffic is a nightmare!

Tricky isnt it? We have heavy, nightmare traffic in mostly glorious sun and heat, or a 5 minute wait whilst a few sheep escape onto the road in the cold and drizzle.  :4:

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 12:56:16 AM »
Well, and you've got those ghastly roundabouts everywhere. When I see videos of folks riding through those things on the left side of the road, I shudder. They look like 24/7 accident scenes to me.

There are few roundabouts in the US. It probably goes back to the way ancient animal trails were arranged, but then Europe had the Holy Roman Empire setting everything up for centuries for their chariots and wagons, which would not present the same hazards as modern speeding cars trucks and motorcycles.

There are several roundabouts on the west side of Ft. Worth, and every trip through them is a close call of one kind or another.

But yes, Dallas is a Hell of Cars, and you've got to get through it to go down to the Hells of Cars in Austin, Houston and San Antonio.  :761:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Well, and you've got those ghastly roundabouts everywhere. When I see videos of folks riding through those things on the left side of the road, I shudder. They look like 24/7 accident scenes to me.

There are few roundabouts in the US. It probably goes back to the way ancient animal trails were arranged, but then Europe had the Holy Roman Empire setting everything up for centuries for their chariots and wagons, which would not present the same hazards as modern speeding cars trucks and motorcycles.

There are several roundabouts on the west side of Ft. Worth, and every trip through them is a close call of one kind or another.

But yes, Dallas is a Hell of Cars, and you've got to get through it to go down to the Hells of Cars in Austin, Houston and San Antonio.  :761:

I guess that for those that aren't familiar with our roundabout system it will look scary Sonny, they are something that we are used to ....'traffic approaching from the right has got right of way' is the ruling

There are some completely crazy roundabout arrangements in some cities though ....I have never seen this one and would find it very very confusing  :124:   

Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
 ^^  :760:  ^^

Apart from the above design from a twisted mind, it's what you grow used to and to a great extent they do work Sonny. There are many times where nightmare junctions were replaced with an island and things flowed much better.

On our last trip over to the Gulf Coast we encountered an island at Clearwater and that was a nightmare as NOBODY seemed to know what they were doing.

The worst kind of islands are the 'mini' islands. As the name suggests, they are a tiny little island as small as 6 ft diameter. The problem with them is that they are often at a three way crossroads and irony states that frequently you will have three vehicles arrive at the same time. Give way to the right falls apart then and someone has to make a decision...usually, after a pause, everyone at the same time  :5:

I guess in a way it's similar to your 4 way stops. Give way to the right isn't it? They always trip me up when I'm in the States.

Offline itlives

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Doyline
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »
And Mike was never seen again. Folks say he is still lost in the 7-way....

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 03:33:05 PM »
The tricky thing about a roundabout, at least to me, is the way that everyone is turning, while merging from one lane to another depending on their entry point and exit point.

If everyone is courteous, observant and well behaved, then things work themselves out. But if a contestant is driving aggressively, or at the wrong speed, or confused or inattentive about where to exit the circle, then unpredictable things happen.

A roundabout is an efficient use of land for sorting out the junction of multiple roads, but it calls for competence from all drivers -- something we don't see in the US, perhaps because these junctions are not common.

A single lane roundabout is fairly orderly. You just yield when entering and go off where you choose. It's the multi-lane jobs that seem to get complicated very easily, because of drivers moving from lane to lane as they circle. Blind spots are always present when driving, but a roundabout gets those blind spots continually moving and sweeping around behind the driver.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 07:11:22 PM »
It's what you're used to.  Roundabouts are proven to be much more efficient intersections than the typical 4 way stops we have in the US.  But we are a stubborn bunch and just like we refuse to embrace the metric system (far superior) we don't seem to want to give up heritage for greener (and safer and more efficient) pastures.   :157:

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
Aye, it is what you're used to, brought up with and taught as we learned to drive so it's just instinctive now.

Without going into too much boring detail and derailing my own thread even more, most if not all multi lane roundabouts have clearly labelled road markings and signs and is never really left to the motorists judgement (unless the markings have faded!). So for example you often have three lanes approaching a large roundabout. The left could be left only, the middle straight on and the right say right only. So in that situation as you join the island, stay to the right for right turn, middle for straight on and so on. If you were going right on the island, the lane markings (usually) steer you over to the middle and then the left for when you veer off onto the road you want.

Having said all that, it does often turn into a free-for-all during rush hours and city centres and you do need to have your wits about you. But that applies to everywhere. If you're from that place, you know what to do. If not....be afraid. I know I'm afraid when I go to London or Manchester now, but when I lived there, I knew the rules.

ANd yeah, metric is generally better, but MPH rules  :152:

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »
Oh yeah, and just to ensure that I completely derail this thread, the way you are allowed to turn right on a red over there is a great idea!   

Recent Topics