Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spain and France May 2018  (Read 479 times)

Offline DaveHilton

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: North Wales
Spain and France May 2018
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »
So I set off in absolute brilliant weather from North Wales on Saturday for an overnight stop in Caldicot (nr Chepstow), travelling along the Wye Valley, before carrying on the following day for the overnight ferry from Plymouth to Santander.
Arrived in Santander and disembarkation took well over an hour due to where I was parked up on car deck 2, along with about 2 dozen other bikes - we had been put in a dead end and had to wait for everyone else yo get off before we could reverse the bikes to the car lane in order to get off.
I had book a b&b which was about an Hour and a bit from the port, so I took the long route - up to Reinosa and then onto a single track road the Ca 280 to the b&b, this road is stunning - and the weather wasn't too bad apart from it getting a bit chilly.
I stayed here for 3 nights and it rained on all the days I stayed.  :003:
I set off for the Pyrenees on the thursday morning, snow was forecast for the area at the weekend
It was raining and misty when I set off which got worse and became thick fog as I took the N623 towards the 232 to Logrono. Weather improved as I got closer to Logrono - I was booked into a hostel in a small village - Soto en Cameros - WOW, breathtaking.
Following day set off for Pau in France, cold and wet again, but got a lot better by lunchtime when I was heading over the hills; and it was quite warm when I got into Pau.
2 nights here gave me a day off the bike, and a pleasant morning walk into the centre and a bit of spectating at the Pau Grand Prix - formula 3 and 4 along with other races - but the rain came again so off I went to find a beer tent and some food (£12.50 for a burger and chips).
It rained again on leaving Pau, it rained the following day on my way to La Rochelle where I stayed for 2 nights, my one warm sunny day was off the bike and walking around La Rochelle.
Leaving La Rochelle the temperature went down again (8 degrees) warmed up at about 1pm, but weather forecast was not good so headed for St Malo and Overnight ferry to Portsmouth.
Disembarkation was fine apart from me getting knocked off bike by another rider who was paddling his bike backwards and not looking where is panniers where - broken handguard , rider did not apologise and by the time I was on my feet and checked bike he had gone!!! A big thanks to the few riders who helped me get to my feet and the bike up.
Oh, and its the first time I have seen another Versys on the same ferry as me - same colour as well.
All in all not my best european trip, but all the locals I spoke to said the weather I had was unseasonal and unprecedented for the time of year in the areas I visited

2015 Versys 1000 GT - Orange
2015 Z1000 SX - Green

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Antrim
Re: Spain and France May 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »
Great report Dave, thanks for sharing, shame about the weather and the blind rider on the ferry... there are some nobs about  :11:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:01:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing your trip with us, pity about the weather. If traveling solo or in a small group I like to keep things flexible and try and dodge the blue stuff, up in the mountains it can often be totally different weather on the other side.

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
Thanks for a great write up on your trip Dave, as mentioned above, it was such a shame about the weather  :003:. Out of interest, how did you find the bike handled with the extra weight that you carried i.e., full luggage set, tail bag & tank bag...... :187:. Did you feel that the bike was overly top-heavy, but manageable :187:
Many thanks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:32:59 AM by BikerMan »

Offline DaveHilton

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by BikerMan [+]
Thanks for a great write up on your trip Dave, as mentioned above, it was such a shame about the weather  :003:. Out of interest, how did you find the bike handled with the extra weight that you carried i.e., full luggage set, tail bag & tank bag...... :187:. Did you feel that the bike was overly top-heavy, but manageable :187:
Many thanks.

To be honest I don’t notice the difference, if I had pillion I
Might , only thing that gets tricky for me is man handling bike when trying to move bike manually - then it feels heavy
2015 Z1000 SX - Green

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by DaveHilton [+]
To be honest I don’t notice the difference, if I had pillion I
Might , only thing that gets tricky for me is man handling bike when trying to move bike manually - then it feels heavy

Thanks for the info Dave. I was only asking as I plan on doing a longish European trip quite soon and was just wondering on what luggage to take and how to load/distribute it on my bike.
Thanks again  :028:

Offline DaveHilton

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by BikerMan [+]
Thanks for the info Dave. I was only asking as I plan on doing a longish European trip quite soon and was just wondering on what luggage to take and how to load/distribute it on my bike.
Thanks again  :028:

The tail bag was used for my overnight kit on the ferry and places where bike was parked securely and panniers could be left on safely, it was also the only way I could carry my laptop as it won't fit in the panniers because of the shape of them. Topbox had my camping gear in, left pannier had my cooker in along with bits and bobs, little food and water, other pannier was spare clothes and my wet weather kit - and as you can guess I was wearing that a lot of the time.
Have fun on your trip

Dave
2015 Z1000 SX - Green

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by DaveHilton [+]
The tail bag was used for my overnight kit on the ferry and places where bike was parked securely and panniers could be left on safely, it was also the only way I could carry my laptop as it won't fit in the panniers because of the shape of them. Topbox had my camping gear in, left pannier had my cooker in along with bits and bobs, little food and water, other pannier was spare clothes and my wet weather kit - and as you can guess I was wearing that a lot of the time.
Have fun on your trip

Dave

Many thanks Dave  :028:

Offline jerry_james

• Versys Pro
  • Love riding the Big V
  • Bike: 15 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Joplin, Missouri
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 01:21:27 AM »
Great ride report and awesome pics
Jerry James