Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MC Rider on tar snakes  (Read 745 times)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
MC Rider on tar snakes
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »
This fellow Kevin Moore lives in the Dallas / Ft.Worth metroplex and is a riding instructor. He posts a weekly YouTube on one rider safety topic or another. I am subscribed to his channel so I get an email notice when he posts a new video. This week he covers tar snakes, which can be a safety issue here in Texas where the tar melts in the summer heat:

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: MC Rider on tar snakes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:22:26 AM »
good   :762:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »
 :762:  thanks Sonny, the experiment using gyroscopic effect was amazing  :002: 

Road snakes are referred to as over-banding here, but still present potential problems for motorcyclists

Better than this type of snake  :5: 

https://news.sky.com/story/dead-rattlesnakes-severed-head-bites-texas-man-and-nearly-kills-him-11397158   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
We were always warned as kids to stay away from the head of a rattlesnake even after it had been cut from the snake.

The tail rattle will also quiver and vibrate after it is cut from the snake.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »
I'm not a fan of snakes  :151:     
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »
Hi Sonny! It seems that our engineers took lessons in Texas : our snakes are similar!!
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline Paddy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Hyperstrada, KTM 690
  • City / Town: San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »
Good video! He's covered a lot of things there that all relate to good riding technique. Loved the bit about not panicking and then Death Gripping your bars. With Tar Snakes, try to relax, no braking, steady throttle, light grip on bars ... look where you want to go ... and most times you make it through.

In Northern Cal we ride a lot of twisty roads with Tar Snakes. Our inland areas are often 100F plus in Summer.

I do a lot of group rides at pretty good pace. What we've found is that NEW Tar Snakes are the worst ones and one you need to take it easy if leaned over on a HOT day. But we found that Tar Snakes take about a year or less to fully cure ... then you no longer slip on them ... or much less than when "fresh".

Pretty much the same when they are wet but this can vary.

Also tire type, tire pressures, tire wear and type of bike can affect how much reaction a rider gets crossing Tar Snakes.

My Suzuki 360 lb. DR650 dual sport with 21" front tire, hardly reacts at all even at steep lean angles.
Sport and big Adventure bikes can move around more. Like the video says: stay calm, don't death grip the bars. BREATH.
Shouldn't you be checking your phone?

Offline calderonroberto

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: '17 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 05:50:56 AM »
Thanks for this video Sonny. I'm really enjoying other videos of his too. I ended up subscribing to his channel.

There's not as much tar snakes here in BC, just potholes  :745: . And I've never felt any terrifying discomfort from them apart from the same slippage of crossing a painted line on a wet day.

Recent Topics

waggish