Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Loading a pillion; to kickstand or not to kickstand?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: Loading a pillion; to kickstand or not to kickstand?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by calderonroberto [+]
Great video Keener. I'm going to give it a try next time, he's got a good point about boarding from the right side to unload weight from the kickstand. I'm still young to attempt it :P

I'd be also wary of using the peg to mount on the bike, if the kickstand collapsed or folded, for whatever reason, I'd be in trouble. I actually don't mind holding the bike up straight, but these options look way more comfortable for when the bike is loaded.

I was leery at first but ,showed her the vid and we gave it a try ..i did hold on to the handle bar grip as per the vid and the rest was just as easy  ....we practiced it twice more and now its the only way she gets on loaded bike or not ... and gents it does not require that much dexterity  if i can do it most anyone can  :152:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:59:27 AM by Keener »

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
We’ve always done it the same way: me on first, bike upright and braced the Ruth putting her left foot on the peg, one hand on my left shoulder and the other balanced on the top box. Just lately she’s found moving her right hand to my right shoulder after she’s straightened her left leg helps her rotate as she brings her right leg up and over her seat.

I have once had her get on the bike first with the side stand down but that was after a very long day and the post-stroke weakness in her left leg wouldn’t allow her to do it the usual way. That time she first got onto my seat, then moved back onto hers before I lifted my right leg over the saddle. It worked fine but it didn’t feel ‘natural’, IYKWIM.

Ultimately, as with so many things in life, the right way is what rows your boat.

Keith

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline oldtimer

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 - Versys GT
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
Aye. I'm too old to change my ways. Looks a bit gymnastic to me and I hated gymnastics.

What Keith said...whatever works for you. Personally... the old way like most oldies  :123A:

Offline calderonroberto

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: '17 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by oldtimer [+]
Looks a bit gymnastic to me and I hated gymnastics.

:mfr_lol:

Recent Topics