Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Audio System  (Read 1040 times)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Audio System
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:56:30 AM »
Has anyone added a sound system to their V1K?  I'm thinking external speakers (rather than wired or Bluetooth helmet speakers).  AM/FM and SD card.  Waterproof of course.

I've been looking at Firehouse Technology (Kickstart - https://www.firehousetechnology.com/store/p11/Kickstart_Motorcycle_Stereo_with_Large_Handle_Bar_Kit_for_Cruisers_Harley_Honda_Kawasaki_and_More.html), Kicker (https://www.kicker.com/kmc2 and https://www.kicker.com/mini-speakers) and Silver (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Audio-Sound-System-Bluetooth-MP3-FM-Radio-Stereo-Speaker-For-Kawasaki/232034765243?fits=Make%3AKawasaki%7CModel%3AVersys+650&epid=1879892388&hash=item36065989bb:g:LBAAAOSwdzVXnvJx&vxp=mtr)

Some of these units will obstruct the dashboard and ignition.  Any suggestions?
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
Re: Audio System
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
I went from a Goldwing to a KLR650 and now the V1. I missed the Goldwing stereo so I installed a Jensen unit on the handlebars of the KLR. It was ok at anything below 40 MPH but after that, the volume wasn't enough and bass was missing entirely. On the trail, where I was riding slow, I found it distracting and turned it off. I think you'll find the same issue at speed. The wing had decent sound but Honda designed the speakers into the bike. Earbuds or helmet speakers are the only way to go. I've been happy with my Sena set. It has decent sound. If Bose got with Kawasaki and designed speakers into the fairing, you could have a decent stereo but anything you clamp on the "dash" isn't going to cut it. Put your money in the helmet. You get stereo misic off your phone, am, fm, phone calls, google assistant, gps, intercom, etc......
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:50:48 PM by TNGW1500SE »
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by TNGW1500SE [+]
I went from a Goldwing to a KLR650 and now the V1. I missed the Goldwing stereo so I installed a Jensen unit on the handlebars of the KLR. It was ok at anything below 40 MPH but after that, the volume wasn't enough and bass was missing entirely. On the trail, where I was riding slow, I found it distracting and turned it off. I think you'll find the same issue at speed. The wing had decent sound but Honda designed the speakers into the bike. Earbuds or helmet speakers are the only way to go. I've been happy with my Sena set. It has decent sound. If Bose got with Kawasaki and designed speakers into the fairing, you could have a decent stereo but anything you clamp on the "dash" isn't going to cut it. Put your money in the helmet. You get stereo misic off your phone, am, fm, phone calls, google assistant, gps, intercom, etc......

:762:    plus extra weight of any amount is     poo
nice set of helmet speakers way to go  :007:

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by TNGW1500SE [+]
Good points TNG.  I also have a GL1800 Wing, and agree with you 100% on the quality of sound as part of the Gold Wing audio.  However, my helmet is already set up for the Wing.  I can't realistically rejig things to accommodate another system, in light of the fact that I will continue using my helmet on with Wing.

A buddy of mine with a Suzuki Boulevard installed the Firehouse Kickstart (link in the OP), and is quite happy with it (and the external speakers) at low and high speeds.  Also, any long distance riding will continue to be on my Wing.  I use the Versys for shorter, slower riding.

However, I am not convinced installing an audio system on the Versys is something I definitely want to do.  Just trying to get feedback and input right now.  So really appreciate your comments.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:56:51 PM by CuddyBuddy »
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
........ I use the Versys for shorter, slower riding....

I can understand "shorter" but how do you get the V to go slow? Your's must not be green. LOL

Here's what I used on my KLR. I mounted it all to some aluminum angle "iron" with the speakers on each side. That al fit on the top bar of the handlebars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=JHD910BT+kit&num=100&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-2u_42dHbAhXBHpQKHRZzCsUQ_AUICigB&biw=1088&bih=502#spd=6707073985091051101

If the link above doesn't work, search "Jensen Weatherproof ATV Skidsteer JHD910BT Bluetooth Radio, Speakers, Antenna"

If you don't want radio, an amp under the seat may be the way to go, Then just use your phone mounted on the handlebars or fairing to control the volume and bluetooth to the amp. You could wire it "key on hot" or add a switch. Search google for "12 volt bluetooth amp". I'd think you'd want 30 watts per channel.

I'd like to see the project when finished.

If it were me I'd still do the helmet thing. I understand the Goldwing issue but who's to say a person can't own two helmets? I can take (and make) phone calls at 60 MPH and the employees don't even know I'm out riding.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:59:13 PM by TNGW1500SE »
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
I couldn't justify an Akropovic as the Versys is a budget bike so I went with a Delkevic and I am very happy with my purchase.

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »
Very funny, Paul, but I confess to a similar thing. I went with an inexpensive Dan Moto can for more bass and a Givi Airflow for less drums (drumming on the helmet) and that's it. I don't listen to music or radio in the car either. I much prefer the silence and the "be here now" environment. I listen to myself talking. It's like talk radio, but no hardware required.

I play music for a living. I really appreciate silence when not working.

But if everyone thought like that, there would be no music industry and I would have had to find an honest way to make a living.  :760:

So I encourage music lovers to buy the best sounding gear they can find. We work hard to make recordings sound good and it's a waste if listeners never hear it the way we did when making it.  :763:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
My father always told me it was okay to talk to yourself.  As long as you didn't get into an argument.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
... or start talking crazy...  :124:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »
Is talking to oneself the same as hearing voices in your head   :008:   

I had music facilities with a previous Garmin Zumo 660 I had on my bike.....used it twice and hated it   :007:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics

waggish