Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A Brutal Slagging of Honda's DCT  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Dogslow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on tees
Re: A Brutal Slagging of Honda's DCT
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
Just seen this review of the Xmax 300 ,my brakes had a similar feeling when the pads were new but once bedded in as good as another
anyway here is the vid.Make a cup of tea and watch to the very end
[ftp]https://youtu.be/rf-NTNocXdk/ftp]

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
Didn't realize the XMax has 15" front and 14" rear tires.  IMHO that is a huge feature.  To Sonny's earlier comments about handling and small tires, this would address most concerns.  Our little 125 has 10" wheels so at anything above about 40 mph I sometimes feel like I'm riding a 10 hp little red wagon.  The 12"'ers on the Vespa 200 and Piaggio 150 make such a significant difference that 60-70 mph is not an unnecessarily thrilling experience.  I suspect another few inches on the XMax would be a clear step change in this area.  I'm thinking I may make room for one of these to join the fleet before too long. 
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
Dogslow: Cager on 2 Wheels has gotten some mixed comments on this forum, but I like his work. He is on the NC700 forum... he's a nice guy. Portugese fellow.

These motovloggers are an interesting breed. There are a lot of wannabe's who don't have much insight to offer. All you get is some video of a bike being ridden. But there are a bunch of good ones nowadays. You get to know the personality of the reviewer and you can then put their opinions into perspective. Someone like Cager is going to have his certain attitude and notice different things than say the Missenden Flyer, or one of the American vloggers. When you are checking out a bike you can watch a number of reviewers riding and making their remarks and then separate the s**t from the Shinola. It's a pleasant way to spend some computer time.

Vespista, I have seen some info the Kaw/Kymco J300. It is currently EU only, Kaw isn't doing scooters here in the colonies yet. But it looks similar to the Kymco X-Town 300i ABS which is available here, at $1500 less than the X-Max. The X-Town falls a bit short of the X-Max in power, top speed (75mph against the Xmax's 90mph), storage and other details, like it has front-wheel-only ABS. But it's a value. The speed difference is a serious shortcoming though.

I've had motorcycles that couldn't quite cut it on the freeway, and that takes away a major area of usefulness in a bike.

Huckleberry, I totally agree about wheel size.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
I came across this insightful review of the first NCs in 2012. Some of the issues raised have been addressed over the ensuing years. But some can't be, because they are inherent in the concept. The writer's speculation about whether the design would be a market flop have been answered. It certainly wasn't.

(You may get a site security alert when loading this... you can safely click on through... the site is fine, I checked with my anti-virus software.)

https://www.bikerglory.com/2012/12/honda-the-nc700-bikes-in-depth/

The 2018 US NC750s are on the dealer websites now, if not in the showrooms. $8600US. More than I am going to lay down... Honda is never short on nerve when it comes to setting premium prices. So, great, I don't want an NC700 and ain't going to pay for an NC750...  :188:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics