Author Topic: Larger Liner Bags for OEM Panniers  (Read 3861 times)

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Re: Larger Liner Bags for OEM Panniers
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 11:30:32 PM
 :11: I meant to remove the nails before posting  :008: :008:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline PhillH

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 SE 1000GT
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 07:46:59 PM
Hi Mark, how are you finding the bags - are you still impressed?

Online Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:03 PM
I've got the larger ones and when I sold my 2015 I kept them for my 2019 and I'm very pleased with them.

Offline PhillH

• Versys Pro
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 06:27:46 AM
Cheers Floyd - there a good fit in the pannier?

Thanks again.

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 07:26:41 AM
Yes I am very pleased with them. They fill the pannier better as per the post.  :002: and at the right price. - have done 3 full trips with them and no issues with zips etc.
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline PhillH

• Versys Pro
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:50 AM
 :763:cheers Mark

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 11:56:35 AM
Just seen this post for the 1st time and ordered a set, Thanks Markymark

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000 Versys SE GT
  • City / Town: Dartmoor
Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 01:27:04 PM
I've always found the weight of my stuff precluded putting more stuff in as recommended weight of 5kg per side. Always exceed that with OEM bags and over spill in top box.
I like the idea of bigger bags although recon id be dodgy on side pannier loading? Not sure if anyone had any issues with excess weight above that recommended by Kawasaki for panniers?

Offline bradr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 08:21:47 PM
*Originally Posted by tonybro [+]
I've always found the weight of my stuff precluded putting more stuff in as recommended weight of 5kg per side. Always exceed that with OEM bags and over spill in top box.
I like the idea of bigger bags although recon id be dodgy on side pannier loading? Not sure if anyone had any issues with excess weight above that recommended by Kawasaki for panniers?

To me there are three concerns with overloading: how it affects handling, potential damage when riding over bumpy surfaces and any terms in your insurance that prohibit it.

In terms of handling, if overloading, I would overload the panniers before overloading the top box as you will notice it less if the weight is held down low and closer to the middle of the bike.

In terms of potential damage, my opinion is that Kawasaki has looked at the bags and how they are mounted and determined a safe weight that can be put in the bags across their line of bikes that carry the bags.  The more weight you put in the bag when you go over a bump, the more stress that the bag and mounting system will take. Its hard to know if Kawasaki put the 5KG limit due to the construction of the bag or the weakest mounting system amongst the bikes that the bags will sit on or just because they felt it would impact the handling too much, etc...  My previous bike had hard plastic removable saddle bags that had a weight limit twice that of the Versys, but the lower support was in the middle of the bag and the top connection to the bags were more substantial imo than that of the Versys.  One of the hardest things to adjust to on the Versys was the new weight limit and how little you can pack.

Lastly, some insurance contracts have a stipulation about coverage that if you overload the motorcycle so its good to be aware of that, whether you are comfortable with that and whether you want to find a new insurer.

Personally, I've added engine guards to my bike and use a combination of tank bag and bags on my engine guards to distribute the weight more when we go 2-up touring.  It also means we pack more based on keeping things accesssible as well.  For instance, we keep our top box mostly empty and use it to lock our helmets or riding gear when off the bike as an example or keep the stuff we want to be accessible frequently (camera, binoculars, water bottle ...)

Offline PhillH

• Versys Pro
Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 08:34:12 PM
Overloading shouldn’t be a problem as to me it’s just a need for more space for lightweight clothing. Doubt it’s more than 5kg

waggish