Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Xmax 300 test  (Read 1367 times)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Xmax 300 test
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
It was a short one, a few miles around the dealer's neighborhood in 103 degree heat. After Dogslow's good words about the thing, and youtubing and reading some about it, I thought to go examine one to see if it fit me size-wise and look at the engine, CVT and so forth. But though it was a new scooter, the salesman was eager to let me try it, and of course I had my gear with me.

I had a good impression of it. My 6'3" frame was accommodated. It pulls surprisingly well for a 300, it handles lightly and surely and the seat is comfy as can be. It was my first time on a CVT anything, car or bike, so a familiarization run. The trans doesn't engage until the revs get up, and then the tach is doing its own thing based on throttle position. It wasn't a bother, even riding without ear plugs (I wanted to hear what was happening in the engine compartment) because I couldn't really hear the engine. It is very muffled and quiet. Thrust is completely linear, even more so than the DCT on an NC700. You are inclined to ignore the engine. It's just down there revving up and down, deciding what you want speed and acceleration-wise.

I've watched some youtubes on scooter CVT. It is stupidly simple and clever in how it works, with very few moving parts... entirely user-serviceable compared to a conventional gearbox. It's a rubber/fiber belt running between two conical pulleys. A spring working against internal rolling weights responding to centrifugal force sets the pulley positions and thus the "gear" ratio. It's a dry system.

The brake levers are stiff, with not much movement in them; it's more a matter of pressure applied. But they seem to work, the front better than the back as it should be. I rode through some bumps and didn't find it jarring. I was cautious on brand new scooter tires, but laid it over a few times at moderate speed and it stuck to the paving perfectly well.

All the weight is way down there at the wheels. It's light as a feather to push around. The storage under the seat is huge. The wind blast hit me tit high over the stock screen. Buffeting ended at my throat, the head was in clear air. Taller screens are available.

It's familiar but also different from anything I know. I'll be thinking about the possibility of one as a fun in town runabout. You could haul some groceries under that seat, although you might be cooking them, right over the engine as they would be. You'd want to rush home to keep from souring the milk...  :015:

I did this whole exercise thinking about Dogslow, and now I get it, I believe I know why he gets a kick out of the Xmax. It's not so much a step down from the Versys as a categorical step sideways, into a novel territory of 2-wheeling. You could quickly fly around town and through traffic on one of these items. I'll be letting it worry me, I'm sure...  :008:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:53:52 PM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Xmax 300 test
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 07:11:23 AM »
I have yet to try a (maxi)  scooter but I have promised myself that one day I'll give it a go. Well done Sonny for trying one  :028:

These scooters are far more than they ever used to be, I well remember the 60s and the Mods & Rocker era when scooters were 150/200 cc (SX model I think) with twist grip gear change and invariably loaded with extra rear view mirrors and enough spotlights to remove the paint from your garage door  :008:  Today's specimens are a long way removed from those days.

I have wondered if 300 cc would be the big 'downward' step from a 1000cc Versys in terms of power and ridability.

100 milesaway actually borrowed a Kawasaki J300 from his servicing dealer quite a few years ago now and reported that it was ok but he felt that it was just too small for him........which leaves me thinking maybe the larger engined varieties would be a better option.

A pal of mine and close friend of 100 Milesaway has just bought a Can Am spyder...................now there's a thought  :002:   

EDIT:   just found this   

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:02:07 AM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 08:59:48 AM »
I would love a test ride on one of the Yamaha maxi scooters, I see them in Europe a lot and they make a lot of sense. Europeans use them for everything from daily commutes to touring the length and breadth of the Continent and they do it without the stigma that the UK motorcycle media and many motorcyclists attach to them.

Didn’t someone once say “the mind is like a parachute, it works better when it is open”.  :031:
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by longdog [+]
I would love a test ride on one of the Yamaha maxi scooters, I see them in Europe a lot and they make a lot of sense. Europeans use them for everything from daily commutes to touring the length and breadth of the Continent and they do it without the stigma that the UK motorcycle media and many motorcyclists attach to them.

Didn’t someone once say “the mind is like a parachute, it works better when it is open”.  :031:

I like that  :762:     

Roger (Rog)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »
Here in DeSoto, which is majority affluent African American, the Can-Ams and Polaris 3-wheelers are popular, with riders lavishly tricking them out with custom paint, wheels, booming sound systems, LED packages. (So are H-Ds, Goldwings and such with similar customization.)

Some people gots money to burn...  :027:  :124:

I draw the line with the trikes, due to (1) ridiculous cost and, (2) it ain't a motorcycle. I hope that's not closed minded, but the characteristics of a 3-wheeler have little if nothing to do with a motorcycle.

The modern performance scooters are quite different from motorcycles in many ways as well. There's a bunch of new stuff to wade into if you own one. I downloaded the Xmax owner's manual from Yamaha last night and am reading through it to familiarize myself with the differences. The manuals are a free download if anyone else has an interest.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Do not underestimate the (modern) three wheels.
A magazine has published last month the test of the Yamaha Niken. Someone may be suprised: It is faster than the Tracer on any road.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
Tere is lots of 'alternative' options out there ........   I still think the maxi scooter is something not to be ignored

The Can Ams are expensive

Roger (Rog)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
Oh dear, what has Sonny done?

After some ferocious and dramatic haggling with multiple shops, I snagged an Xmax 300 for the stable. Several salesman and sales managers seem right on the verge of wanting to kick my ass now, so presumably I carved down to a deal that was juuuust worth doing. The bike was brought in crated from a warehouse 150mi away and assembled Saturday, and I will pick it up tomorrow when I can get an insurance card.

I hope this thing works out... Dogslow's testimony was so intriguing and then a fevered blast of research reinforced it, a test ride and an examination of one didn't spoil things, so hell I pulled the trigger.  :007:

Now to see what kind of stablemate the Max will be for the V1K and the Vulcan 900 bagger: a marriage made in heaven or an ongoing domestic disturbance???  :015:

Anyone who knows me would know how extremely unlikely it was that I'd ever have bought a scooter. But once again I have surprised myself.  :biker1: :scooter: :lostit:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Well good on yer Sonny...why ever not   :152: 

I just know that you're gonna  enjoy it and I'm looking forward to your reports   

Roger (Rog)

Online Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
Thank you, Roger. Part of this is an effort to get Cathi back into her riding after a number of years off. She is showing some interest in the scooter. She's watching some scooter training and safety video as we wait for the thing. There's an Aussie fellow on YouTube who has some useful instruction online. Certain things are distinctly different from motorcycle best practices.

I'm not putting any pressure on her about it. We'll see what develops, but she has never enjoyed riding pillion much -- says she feels out of control -- and it would be great to ride with her again. She was good back in the day, rode well and never had a mishap. Of course we were younger then...

Recent Topics

waggish