Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Xmax 300 test  (Read 1121 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Xmax 300 test
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Thank you, Roger. Part of this is an effort to get Cathi back into her riding after a number of years off. She is showing some interest in the scooter. She's watching some scooter training and safety video as we wait for the thing. There's an Aussie fellow on YouTube who has some useful instruction online. Certain things are distinctly different from motorcycle best practices.

I'm not putting any pressure on her about it. We'll see what develops, but she has never enjoyed riding pillion much -- says she feels out of control -- and it would be great to ride with her again. She was good back in the day, rode well and never had a mishap. Of course we were younger then...

What a great idea... go for it Cathi     :scooter: 

p.s I will e-mail ya soon mate
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 03:04:45 AM »
Well, I picked up the Xmax today. It hasn't rained here in weeks; everything is brown parched tinder. As the paperwork was getting signed, the sky opened up with thunderstorms that went on for a couple of hours. I stood in the service bay visiting with a Southwest Airlines pilot and his wife who were picking up one of those luxury top-of-the-line Star Venture 1800 touring V-twins. They were riding it down to Boerne, TX in the Hill Country and there were storms all over Texas. We traded flying stories for an hour or so, then I said screw it, I gotta go.

The first 15 miles were in and out of frog strangling rains with flooded streets that were slick as owl s**t, heavy traffic, quite challenging. I know next to nothing about riding a scooter, with a total of a few minutes experience on a test ride a week or so ago and the thing was drifting and slipping around as I several times grabbed the clutch only to remember that lever on the left is the back brake, and a good brake it is.

Then the last 12 miles the rain stopped and the flooding streets gradually dried and I started to get comfortable on the device. I got home and pulled my little mud bug into the garage. And they had detailed it so nicely for me!  :015:

I will write more about this scooter after some, ahem, more normal riding, and as I get the hang of it. But the first takeaway, beside the 2 brake levers being odd but perfectly useful, is the very different feel of the CVT belt drive. It's hard to describe... the throttle is like a thrust control, or a thrust rate control, but it's not exactly connected to rear wheel speed. Taking off from a stop it feels like slipping a clutch, but then the drive engages and you're off, and in town at least, the speed goes right up quickly. At any speed you choose, adding throttle adds speed and closing throttle reduces it. The 300cc single cylinder motor is a way undersquare stroker with plenty of torque and engine braking.

I took it to my nearby church parking lot and did slow speed work. With a bit of throttle and dragging the rear brake it does tight curlicues at very low speed. All in all, the thing is different but extremely simple to operate, and fun as can be.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 04:03:02 AM »
Good on you Sonny !  Scooters are a kick and a sensible alternate for any number of missions.  Have fun with it !
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
Well done Sonny for taking the plunge, it will be fascinating to hear how your exploits develop and if it ever takes over the number 1 spot in your two wheeled line up  :028:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »
The difference between the 120hp V1K and the 27.6hp in the Xmax is obviously dramatic, but the CVT squeezes every bit of go out of the engine. The V is stately and solid with all that power always on tap; the Xmax has no such pretensions, it just scuttles along with determination and high maneuverability. It would be a fine lane splitting tool, but not in Texas.

The disc brakes are nice. It will stop hard if you build up the squeeze. I haven't engaged the ABS but I think the TC came on a few times in the wet.

There's a 4500rpm limit the first 600mi; that limits its speed to 45 or 50mph. But I got it into the 5K's several times... the engine showed no signs of stress. If you open it up all the way it will get up into the 8K's, so that's half the power still unused during break in. But again there's the different way the CVT converts power into motion. If you go right to 4500rpm from a standing start and hold it there, the speed will rise smoothly to 45 or so and stop around there. To go faster you will just keep twisting.

For a long stroke single, the thing is completely smooth, with really nothing to feel through the bar, seat or floorboards. It's been seriously counterbalanced. The cylinder lies almost flat. Most of the bike's weight is right down between the axles.

Larger than normal scooter wheels are a plus: 15in front and 14in rear. Feels quite different from 17 inch wheels but it's not skittish or unstable feeling... and quite nimble. I blew through some patches of fairly deep water on flooded streets and it cut right through. When the water started flying out the sides like a boat's bow wake it made me nervous but the contact patches seemed to remain intact.

The little booger will never steal the Versys' glory, but it gets right down to business and goes for it. On Day One it proved it will get you right across town in any sort of conditions. I thought I would feel vulnerable in traffic on it compared to the V, but really not so much. It swaps major burst acceleration for wild maneuverability. I kept being tempted to jump up and run on the sidewalk or scoot across yards. What it can really do on dry pavement I have yet to find out.   :notsure:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures    :169:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Dogslow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on tees
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
 :mfr_lol: Another Convert .

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
Here's a picture. I'm sitting on it to demonstrate that there is plenty of leg room for my 6'3".

Cathi sits further forward where the seat is narrower, letting her feet reach the ground... she is 5'8". I am flatfooting with knees bent in the position shown. No prob.

Oh, I failed to mention: Cathi came home from wk yesterday, went straight back to the bedroom and emerged in her pants boots and helmet. She was soon tooling around the church parking lot and smiling. There's hope to get the good woman off the pillion and back up front yet.  :756:

She was surprised to find it is a fairly large bike. I think she had the Vespa 50cc moped thing in mind. No, it is "maxi" compared to that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:20:14 PM by Sonny »

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
The scooter is available in the US only in white as shown. Even in rain, I didn't feel invisible to other drivers in my high viz clothing & helmet. The paint may also be helping with that. In the States, a white and black livery is associated with police bikes and squad cars. Drivers are in the habit of picking that B&W out of a pack of other traffic, and then checking their speed and if they are otherwise screwing up in some way...  :007:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
I expected that you would dwarf the scoot Sonny,  but you really don't and as you say you can comfortably place both feet on the ground.

Now cummon Cathi   :scooter:     :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics

waggish