Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Xmax 300 test  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Re: Xmax 300 test
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:27 PM »
Day 3 with the Xmax. I've got the hang of it now. I have gotten the control setup and how to work the throttle down, took a good long ride down some winding tree-lined roads this morning. It's a flicky, sticky-tired (-tyred?), sporty handling little scooter, and the low speed work is ridiculously tight-turning and easy to do. It emergency stops very short, and I still haven't triggered the ABS.

Dogslow, you are right, sir. This little bastard is all kinds of fun!  :757:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 05:34:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Day 3 with the Xmax. I've got the hang of it now. I have gotten the control setup and how to work the throttle down, took a good long ride down some winding tree-lined roads this morning. It's a flicky, sticky-tired (-tyred?), sporty handling little scooter, and the low speed work is ridiculously tight-turning and easy to do. It emergency stops very short, and I still haven't triggered the ABS.

Dogslow, you are right, sir. This little bastard is all kinds of fun!  :757:

Good man Sonny, great to hear that you are enjoying the little 'un  :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 05:09:55 PM »
After 5 days on the Xmax I believe I can comment on the effect of having only throttle and brakes on the mental process of riding. Once you have stopped reaching for the clutch and concerning yourself with gear selection and engine rpm and what to do with your feet, and become familiar with how a CVT drive delivers power to the rear wheel, a large amount of added attention and cognitive processing becomes available for heads-up contact with the riding environment.

Having now dealt with a variety of dense and busy urban traffic situations where potential conflicts present themselves constantly for decision making, It appears to me that the scooter control setup is noticeably safer, cleaner and more relaxing and Zen than MC riding.

Perhaps this is the best way to describe it: we humans can walk, talk and chew gum at the same time. In fact, with practice, we can spin ten plates over our heads on sticks all at once. Some though not all of us appear to be able to drive a car and mess with a cell phone at the same time. A good MC rider can attend to manual shifting while staying heads up and guiding the bike through the environment safely. It's something most of us have done all our lives.

But that does not mean that our attention isn't divided while doing so. It is. Reducing the riding experience to immersion in the environment with nothing but accelerating, braking and turning to perform is liberating. I am quite sure this is as true on one of the new DCT Gold Wings or Africa Twins as it is on a scooter.

This week I have been going back and forth from the scooter to the Versys and the Vulcan 900. My ability to ride the big bikes is undiminished. But what is new to me is suddenly realizing how downright busy I am when manual shifting in comparison to scooting. I have always known this with auto vs manual car driving and it is true with biking as well. The difference is, on two wheels the decision making around placement and maneuvering a bike is more critical, and the consequences of a screwup are more serious.

I have no intention to be a traitor to the MC riding world I have loved all my life by saying these things. But the point is, it's true: having a clear, relaxed mind to respond to threats and decisions on an automatic bike is an increased safety factor.

This comes on top of other conveniences including superior wind and rain protection of legs and body by the large faired front bodywork, the seat comfort and the ease of mounting and dismounting the bike, the snappier maneuverability of smaller wheels, and the capacious dry storage space. Yesterday I ran a series of errands in 95 degree heat and arrived home with five full plastic grocery bags stored under the seat. The clever simplicity and practicality of this Xmax 300 are quite impressive. I've got to hand it to Yamaha.  :028:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:19:52 PM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
Well, I still haven't tried a scooter (apart from a Lambretta back in the 60s) so I can't comment from experience, but your summary makes perfect sense Sonny, and maybe it's because of those facts that today's scooters have been developed to initially provide transportation in busy towns/cities and that they have gradually evolved into machines that can now offer even more in terms of two wheeled transportation.

You make a compelling case for the modern day scooter.

I understand and totally accept what you say about the comparison between MC and Scooter and recognise that personally you still love the involvement of a MC.....BUT..... as we age maybe something that enables us to continue 'riding' but doing so with less 'hassle' makes perfect sense.. :016:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 10:51:32 PM »
Roger and I have discussed on the side how neither one of us has any mental or physical disability that prevents us riding a large powerful bike perfectly well, save for an occasional "ouch!" from the hip joints when throwing a leg over. But that little indicator is sure to be a harbinger of things to come. I do believe it drove my exploration of the Honda NC's and the maxi scooters.

Now that I am astride an Xmax, I will tell you there's something more to it. These things are interesting, and capable, and a lot of fun in their own right. It's a different ride, like you love your speedboat -- great -- try this jet ski. Wow, a whole 'nother thing, as we say...  :029:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
Good comparison  :028:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 10:48:35 AM »
200 miles in 5 days... brakes have settled in nicely, the thing stops hard and fast. Tires are sticky and the maneuverability is ridiculous. U-turns and curlicues on narrow streets are simple... not turning tight enough, just drag some more back brake against a slightly open throttle. I'm supposed to avoid higher rpm's for the break in but, oh, you know... it pulls smartly if you give it the juice.

The little 300 single howls like an abused lawn mower and it's perfectly happy, designed to do that. That's how it addresses a variable belt drive.

I am a neighborhood organizer, active in our very effective Crime Watch program... I'm the "motor patrol", happily running the streets at all hours and visiting my many fine neighbors.

Making my rounds on the V1K is pleasant as can be, but a bit like delivering mail in an F-16.  :745:  The Max is the tool for the job. 

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
Message to would be villains

" Look out, Look out, there's Sonny about"   :028:   

Great picture BTW 

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »
Oh sure, you can well imagine, I would strike terror into the hearts of the most hardened criminals...  :015:

But you know, I have been a burglary victim more than once, and it hurts, and I dislike thieves with a black passion. One of these days I am going to catch one in the act, pull out the phone and dial 911, and see the light-fingered S.O.B. led away in handcuffs. Afterwards, I'll be inviting my local cops to the bar and the beers will be on me.  :192:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Oh sure, you can well imagine, I would strike terror into the hearts of the most hardened criminals...  :015:

But you know, I have been a burglary victim more than once, and it hurts, and I dislike thieves with a black passion. One of these days I am going to catch one in the act, pull out the phone and dial 911, and see the light-fingered S.O.B. led away in handcuffs. Afterwards, I'll be inviting my local cops to the bar and the beers will be on me.  :192:

I recognise that you wouldn't be the 'threatening type of person' Sonny, ... I agree with your sentiments regarding burglars  :178:   

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics