Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scraping the center stand when cornering fairly hard (2-up)  (Read 879 times)

Offline Justsidious

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Borden
So I bought my 2015 V1k 3 months ago, didn't get to ride it that much as it's pretty cold pretty late here up in Canada...it finally got nice enough and I felt comfortable enough to start driving it a bit harder in the corners. I was riding with the wife and took a corner semi-hard, not as hard as I'd do it alone cuz I got someone else's life in my hands, but I was still going kinda fast...I felt nothing in the pegs as I would with my old racers to ''warn'' me I'm close....no warning no nothing, just a huge noise and I felt the bike was dragging on the ground somewhere. At the moment it happened I was super confused on what could've touched the ground before the pegs, nothing like that ever happened to me before and I've been riding for 10 years (4th different bike). When I had a look, I noticed I was clearly missing some of the black paint on the center stand... anything like that ever happened to one of you guys?

Now i'm kinda scared a bit to lean it in cuz it did upset the bike quite a bit when it happened. Might be worth mentioning that this never happened when I was riding solo...only 2-up so far. Could it be the extra weight? I mean my wife weights barely 110 pounds and I had the suspension setup to the hardest anyway...doesn't feel like that's it....do some of you guys straight up remove your center stand when you know you're going to ride hard? Is it hard/long to remove? Cuz it's the 1st bike I've ever owned with a center stand and I'm loving the utility so far but if it prevents me from leaning the bike it's no bueno.

Open to discussion about all of this, I searched the forum and google about that issue and found nothing...I feel like I'm literally the only guy this happened to...

Online Floydsz1

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Re: Scraping the center stand when cornering fairly hard (2-up)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »
I've lowered mine 40mm and I can drag the footrests but I've never caught the stands.

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 KLZ1000, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
Welcome, Justidious.  :031: Why not go over to the New Member section and tell us a bit of your riding history and get yourself a proper welcome to the forum?  :biker3:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »
Off the top of my head, Im guessing you need to add a bunch of preload.

I would be looking at my total sag when both you and the wife are on board..unless the bike has been severely lowered, It should not be dragging the center stand on turns under any realistic circumstances 

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:10:25 AM »
+1

Our bike front and rear suspension travel (per manual) is 150 mm (5.91 inches). The optimum suspension sag eange is between 1/4 to 1/3 of the suspension travel (own preferences). Re-check the bike's sag to confirm  :152:

:764:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena, Co Antrim
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:44:14 AM »
Welcome from me too, and as Sonny says maybe you can drop into the new members section  :002: 

I've never had the centre stand drag on the floor on my bike, I had a Motech aftermarket centre/mainstand on my Mk1 Versys 1000 and that didn't ever touch down either.

Could it be that on this occasion you just caught a lump in the road  :question: 

Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online hector

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: zzr1400 + v1k 2017
  • City / Town: lytham st annes
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:57 AM »
have had the centerstand touch down all too easily two up on mountain passes in the pyrenees, but only on the left hand side, that's even with the preload wound right up,, and we are not heavy,, me 80kg, passenger 69kg,,
hoping to fit a quality shock for next years trip so hopefully this will help  :002: :002:

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Welcome from me too, and as Sonny says maybe you can drop into the new members section  :002: 

I've never had the centre stand drag on the floor on my bike, I had a Motech aftermarket centre/mainstand on my Mk1 Versys 1000 and that didn't ever touch down either.

Could it be that on this occasion you just caught a lump in the road  :question:

I have the same centre stand on my bike and have never touched it down. Maybe the Gen II Versys stand is a little different in design? Dial in more pre-load on your rear shock. You never mentioned rider and pillion weights, but the first thing I would do is increase the pre-load. If you have bought a pre-owned bike, then you never know what the previous owner has done, go back to the manual and start from scratch if this is the case.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Online Paul_Smith

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »
To summerise what everyone else is saying:
1) No, it is not normal.
2) reset your suspension to factory settings
3) check your sag.

I would guess your bike has been lowered but I don't know how you check that. The top of your front forks should be pretty much flush with the top of the triple tree, or to quote the service manual "Install the fork so that the length [A] is 214.6 mm (8.449 in.) from the top end of the outer tube to upper surface [C] of the lower front fork clamp.". Hopefully someone else can tell you how to check the rear.

Offline saddlebag

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K
  • City / Town: Ohiya
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Justsidious [+]
So I bought my 2015 V1k 3 months ago, didn't get to ride it that much as it's pretty cold pretty late here up in Canada...it finally got nice enough and I felt comfortable enough to start driving it a bit harder in the corners. I was riding with the wife and took a corner semi-hard, not as hard as I'd do it alone cuz I got someone else's life in my hands, but I was still going kinda fast...I felt nothing in the pegs as I would with my old racers to ''warn'' me I'm close....no warning no nothing, just a huge noise and I felt the bike was dragging on the ground somewhere. At the moment it happened I was super confused on what could've touched the ground before the pegs, nothing like that ever happened to me before and I've been riding for 10 years (4th different bike). When I had a look, I noticed I was clearly missing some of the black paint on the center stand... anything like that ever happened to one of you guys?

Now i'm kinda scared a bit to lean it in cuz it did upset the bike quite a bit when it happened. Might be worth mentioning that this never happened when I was riding solo...only 2-up so far. Could it be the extra weight? I mean my wife weights barely 110 pounds and I had the suspension setup to the hardest anyway...doesn't feel like that's it....do some of you guys straight up remove your center stand when you know you're going to ride hard? Is it hard/long to remove? Cuz it's the 1st bike I've ever owned with a center stand and I'm loving the utility so far but if it prevents me from leaning the bike it's no bueno.

Open to discussion about all of this, I searched the forum and google about that issue and found nothing...I feel like I'm literally the only guy this happened to...

Remove the heavy POS and buy a jackstand. You can get a decent Chinese one on sale at Cycle Gear for $20.
As someone else said, you really need to crank up the preload when carrying a passenger even without it.

Recent Topics