Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wanting to change lights for LED  (Read 3529 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline VisualizeIT

  • Versys Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT 2016
  • City / Town: Rotherham
  • Country: gb
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »
Cheers guys but wasn't really what I was after, I was more after a post which would show a range or different types of bulbs but comments like the below seem a little pointless:

*Originally Posted by Le ptit Quebec [+]
Use the serach tool on the forum, you'll find over 60 results...

*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
as others have said there is plenty of information around this subject which you can easily access by using the 'search' button...there is also lots of help available from members who have changed their light system to LED  :002:     

I did state that I had already looked round in my original post, I had found some results (there are 33 topics for 'LED' to be precise) but like I mentioned I couldn't find what I was after, never mind, was worth a go.

Offline Lucky7

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Welcome along Visualize as others have said there is plenty of information around this subject which you can easily access by using the 'search' button...there is also lots of help available from members who have changed their light system to LED  :002:     

Another option for you is the Skene dual lighting system which provides the opportunity for you to run both front lights 

https://www.skenelights.com/

Can this be used with LED bulbs?

Offline Lucky7

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by VisualizeIT [+]
Cheers guys but wasn't really what I was after, I was more after a post which would show a range or different types of bulbs but comments like the below seem a little pointless:

I did state that I had already looked round in my original post, I had found some results (there are 33 topics for 'LED' to be precise) but like I mentioned I couldn't find what I was after, never mind, was worth a go.

I came here for the same reason today:  to get suggestions about what LED bulbs have been used with good results.

I have considered two in particular.

1. This 36W (each) bulb with fan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FPC9GQ5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2A5KHHJSBHO04&psc=1

2. This 20W (each) bulb without fan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXVGTHB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1XN83SKD84J3D&psc=1

Do fanless bulbs get too hot?  Any comments about wattage and brightness?

I would like a net decrease in electrical load to allow running heated gear and grips, both of these bulbs achieve this.

I would also value getting both lights to light all the time while preserving normal and high beams (not blinding oncoming traffic)
 a. switch to H4 instead of H7 bulbs with modification to reflectors in high beam?
 b. use aforementioned skenelights with H7 led?


Offline Bart

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 475
  • City / Town: West Wales
  • Country: wales
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »

This thread on Advrider may be of interest

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-modify-h4-led-to-reduce-glare-this-is-the-one-you-want.1080510/


Re the power consumption, I always fit a voltage indicator to monitor the bikes voltage, they also have the benefit to give an early warning of a regulator failure...although the Vk seems very good in this aspect

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAMMATRONIX-waterproof-12v-LED-Battery-level-Alternator-Charge-monitor-E/190462726857

Offline Lucky7

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 12:48:49 AM »
Thank you.  This is a good thread.

Offline maine_man

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 53
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Saco, ME
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:48 AM »
So has anyone here tried the F2 LEDs?  Do we know how well they mount in a Versys?
OEM fog lights, top box, gear indicator, power outlet, radiator guard; Givi Airflow windscreen, Motowerks mirror extenders and highway peg mounts, Rivco highway pegs, T-Rex frame sliders and luggage guards, Pyramid fender extender, Denali Soundbomb Mini horn, Oxford LED turn signals, Quad Lock phone mount, Blackbeard EZPass mount, keyless gas cap

Offline Lucky7

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 03:59:25 AM »
I opted for the 36W (each) F2 LED that has a fan.

The install was straight forward in that the fit was very good with little modification, though it took some effort to get the clip to cooperate.  The alignment of the retaining clip was such that there was a tendency to get it stuck in the vents of the fan housing on bulbs.  With gentle patience I was able to get it to clip correctly.  The only cutting needed was for the boot to allow the fan to penetrate to the exterior of the boot.  Definitely recommend install to be completed by removing the cowling from the bike and move to well lighted area with maximum access when lights are fitted to the sockets rather than attempting to replace with bike fully assembled.

I installed in wife's bike (2015 V650) first, then mine (2015 V1k).  Install was similarly easy.  Results in both cases spectacular.  Shockingly easier to see the road and be seen when riding at night with these headlights.  I also swapped the city lights.  The LED version that I bought seem not as bright as the stock city lights I replaced, probably because the reflector around the lights is inadequate to point much of the light forward.  Despite the city lights not seeming as bright I'm still quite happy to have them for aesthetics.

Speaking of aesthetics:  I find the whole look of the bikes to be much improved by the move the change to LEDs.  It gives an appearance of modernity that is lacking when illuminated by incandescent bulbs.

After changing my wife's bike we went for a night ride where my bike still was stock.  Allowed a good comparison for various roads by turning one bike alternately off to observe the same scene with each setup.  Horizontal cutoff seemed identical when shining against a fixed object like a wall.  I wouldn't have considered that when pointed down a road because the clarity was so much better with LED that I would have guessed that I was spilling light too high.  No oncoming traffic flashed us to indicate that we were aimed high either.  When comparing the visibility of the rider viewed via the side mirrors of the trailing bike the superiority of the LEDs was most in evidence.  I imagine that when few moments are available for a driver to assess a scenario that the brighter lights favor awareness of the motorcycle.

Since then I installed the same lights in my bike and went on a solo night ride.  I was again shocked by the superiority of the visibility of the new lights traveling familiar roads where I believe I recall vividly how it looked previously.

After examining the lenses and reflectors it seems the only difference between the high and low beam reflectors is the the high beam side retracts the point source a few millimeters.  The collar of the the F2 LED bulbs can be adjusted such that it may be possible to make the point of light in the high beam lens placed such that the horizontal cutoff is appropriate to operate with H4 bulbs as both high and low beams.  I haven't tried this, but I believe it possible.  I toyed with the idea of doing this (using the H4 lights and changing the wiring to make both lights low and high beam together).  Ultimately decided against it because I run heated gear at times and wanted additional alternator capacity. 

Highly, highly recommend this modification.

Offline DrGonzo615

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 88
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lucky7 [+]
I opted for the 36W (each) F2 LED that has a fan.

The install was straight forward in that the fit was very good with little modification, though it took some effort to get the clip to cooperate.  The alignment of the retaining clip was such that there was a tendency to get it stuck in the vents of the fan housing on bulbs.  With gentle patience I was able to get it to clip correctly.  The only cutting needed was for the boot to allow the fan to penetrate to the exterior of the boot.  Definitely recommend install to be completed by removing the cowling from the bike and move to well lighted area with maximum access when lights are fitted to the sockets rather than attempting to replace with bike fully assembled.

I installed in wife's bike (2015 V650) first, then mine (2015 V1k).  Install was similarly easy.  Results in both cases spectacular.  Shockingly easier to see the road and be seen when riding at night with these headlights.  I also swapped the city lights.  The LED version that I bought seem not as bright as the stock city lights I replaced, probably because the reflector around the lights is inadequate to point much of the light forward.  Despite the city lights not seeming as bright I'm still quite happy to have them for aesthetics.

Speaking of aesthetics:  I find the whole look of the bikes to be much improved by the move the change to LEDs.  It gives an appearance of modernity that is lacking when illuminated by incandescent bulbs.

After changing my wife's bike we went for a night ride where my bike still was stock.  Allowed a good comparison for various roads by turning one bike alternately off to observe the same scene with each setup.  Horizontal cutoff seemed identical when shining against a fixed object like a wall.  I wouldn't have considered that when pointed down a road because the clarity was so much better with LED that I would have guessed that I was spilling light too high.  No oncoming traffic flashed us to indicate that we were aimed high either.  When comparing the visibility of the rider viewed via the side mirrors of the trailing bike the superiority of the LEDs was most in evidence.  I imagine that when few moments are available for a driver to assess a scenario that the brighter lights favor awareness of the motorcycle.

Since then I installed the same lights in my bike and went on a solo night ride.  I was again shocked by the superiority of the visibility of the new lights traveling familiar roads where I believe I recall vividly how it looked previously.

After examining the lenses and reflectors it seems the only difference between the high and low beam reflectors is the the high beam side retracts the point source a few millimeters.  The collar of the the F2 LED bulbs can be adjusted such that it may be possible to make the point of light in the high beam lens placed such that the horizontal cutoff is appropriate to operate with H4 bulbs as both high and low beams.  I haven't tried this, but I believe it possible.  I toyed with the idea of doing this (using the H4 lights and changing the wiring to make both lights low and high beam together).  Ultimately decided against it because I run heated gear at times and wanted additional alternator capacity. 

Highly, highly recommend this modification.

Thanks for the write up and the links in your previous posts to the actual LEDs you used.

Did you have to adjust the angles at all from stock or did you just install them and go? Also, I thought the Versys 1000 required H7 connectors? Also, which LEDs did you use as the running lights (city lights?). You have moved me closer to pulling the trigger on this mod!

Offline maine_man

  • Versys Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 53
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Saco, ME
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »
Check out this thread for more info on LED headlights and LED running lights:

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,19699.0.html
OEM fog lights, top box, gear indicator, power outlet, radiator guard; Givi Airflow windscreen, Motowerks mirror extenders and highway peg mounts, Rivco highway pegs, T-Rex frame sliders and luggage guards, Pyramid fender extender, Denali Soundbomb Mini horn, Oxford LED turn signals, Quad Lock phone mount, Blackbeard EZPass mount, keyless gas cap

Offline Lucky7

  • Versys Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
  • Country: us
Re: Wanting to change lights for LED
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 02:52:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
Thanks for the write up and the links in your previous posts to the actual LEDs you used.

Did you have to adjust the angles at all from stock or did you just install them and go? Also, I thought the Versys 1000 required H7 connectors? Also, which LEDs did you use as the running lights (city lights?). You have moved me closer to pulling the trigger on this mod!

No adjustment of angles needed, though the bulb is adjustable by loosening a screw (can modify the rotation and the depth of the light source.  Installed as they arrived and my lights were aimed exactly the same as with incandescent lights.

I did purchase and install H7 configuration bulbs for both bikes, high and low beam lenses.  My discussion about H4 lights was theoretical.  I considered installing H4 and altering the wiring to make both lights work for high and low beams, but decided against this.

City lights that I used are these: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAUTR8K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1


 



Recent Topics