Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear brake  (Read 653 times)

Offline carlsversys

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 versys 1000
  • City / Town: FRESNO
Rear brake
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:03:51 PM »
On my 2017 VERSYS 1000,it takes a lot of rear brake pressure to stop, is that normal?

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
Re: Rear brake
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by carlsversys [+]
On my 2017 VERSYS 1000,it takes a lot of rear brake pressure to stop, is that normal?

Yes, the rears are weak...if you want them to be stronger EBC HH pads are wonderful.

on the bright side, the fronts are pretty good and putting some  EBCs or equivalent up there will make the bike stop very well... without relying on  the rear...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:08:50 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline carlsversys

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »
Thanks, I hate to take it into the shop, im sure if I had to I could make it lock up..

THANKS

Offline Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1000 green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »
Personally I think the good thing about a weak rear brake is that you are unlikely to make rear wheel lock up. 

On other bikes when I've locked the rear wheel the bike tends to crash...

Tony

Offline Paul_Smith

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
  • Account Terminated
  • Bike: V1K 2016 Black
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »
If you are coming from a cruiser background, or are used to linked brakes, then the Versys's rear brakes will feel surprisingly weak, but that has more to do with the way brakes are designed to work then any weakness or flaw in the Versys. As mentioned, changing to HH pads will help with bite and feel. But even then, you shouldn't be able to lock the rear because you are on a bike fitted with ABS, and even without ABS, you shouldn't be afraid of locking the rear because it makes little difference. The rear will always follow the front, sometimes it might take the scenic route, but it will get there.

With cruisers and some grand tourers, the rear accounts for 50% or more of the available breaking force. With sports and sports tourers, the rear brake is not designed to stop you, it is for stabilizing the bike, so it accounts for 20% or less. Do worry though, the total braking force available is far in excess of any cruiser or tourer, but the technique needed is slightly different. Applying a little rear brake (or even just closing the throttle) will roll the bike around the rear axle, putting increased weight on the front wheel, which increases the grip available to the front wheel to be used for cornering or braking.

Offline carlsversys

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »
THANKS,I DRIVE A 2005 VSTAR,1974 H2B,1975 Z1B AND A 1977 KZ 1000.. Thanks im glad its normal.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »
Thanks, I hate to take it into the shop, im sure if I had to I could make it lock up..

THANKS
Not with a Bike with ABS you wont.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
THANKS,I DRIVE A 2005 VSTAR,1974 H2B,1975 Z1B AND A 1977 KZ 1000.. Thanks im glad its normal.

I've owned H1b (crap front disc) and useful rear drum, H2c which was basically the  same as my H1b    :008:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Pickaxe

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Droitwich
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
The rear brake (foot pedal) on most bikes is really to add slightly more efficiency and balance to slowing the machine down. The rear brake really comes into its own for coming to a final stop when you don't want the ferocity of the front brake, slow speed manoeuvring and holding the bike on an incline.

As Paul mentioned, when you apply either brake, weight is brought forward onto the front wheel and taken off the rear. Therefore if the manufacturer produces a rear brake which requires very little foot pressure, the rear wheel will simply lock very quickly or in the case of ABS, allow the wheel to rotate. If the pedal requires more pressure I guess that's when people start complaining about poor rear brakes.

The only way to get around the usual rules of braking is something like Honda's combined braking system when you can happily use the foot brake only to slow quickly from high speed. Unfortunately that can then lead to bad habits.
2017 BMW R1200RT LE
2015 Blue Triumph 1050 Sprint GT

Recent Topics

waggish