Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 Versys 1000...  (Read 30254 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: 2019 Versys 1000...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
IMU ~ TFTscreen ~ Cruise ~ heated grips are features that could be added as they are already part of the spec on other Kawasaki models.

I don't think shaft drive will be added but I could be wrong (again)   :169:   :008: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline olie

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Austin, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »
Euro5 standards for motorcycles is coming on Jan2020... RBW will be a need to meet emissions, so CC will be a natural.

With the Concours /GTR absence, except in North America, the Versys will be the only longer distance bike... another reason for CC and other comfort items.

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 09:32:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by olie [+]
Euro5 standards for motorcycles is coming on Jan2020... RBW will be a need to meet emissions, so CC will be a natural.

Why would you need that to meet emissions? Im not sure I see the connection.....

Offline olie

• Versys Pro
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
RBW can go together with riding modes, some of which can be set to deliver better or the required emissions.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
I fully understand why new technology comes into play here. I will accept heated grips , just as I accepted ABS. But stuff like cruise control, TFT dash, more engine modes, and more weight would do nothing to make a bike more desirable to me. Be careful what you wish for with new technology and extra gadgets. With them comes a label with a bigger price tag. Now if the big K built a basic bike, then had a massive extras list, maybe they could please everyone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:25:03 PM by 100milesaway »
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Online Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by olie [+]
RBW can go together with riding modes, some of which can be set to deliver better or the required emissions.

The Versys already has modes along with computer controlled sub throttles so I still dont see the connection....  in my experience, how the throttle bodies are opened really has no effect on emissions .
it's in the fuel delivery, the combustion process and  the exhaust treatment that all the work is done...

Offline olie

• Versys Pro
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 01:36:02 AM »
RBW offers with more accuracy an actual throttle-plate position, one of the parameters for more controlled mappings, another key to obtain better emissions.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:27:29 AM by olie »

Online Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
...Now if the big K built a basic bike, then had a massive extras list, maybe they could please everyone.
Or maybe not. Maybe it's a bit too basic and/or the market is more demanding.
I checked the Italian sales figures. Kawasaki sells a few V1000: only 297 in the first half of 2018. Much less, for example, compared to the BMW S1000XR which I believe is the most direct competitor.
Furthermore, V1000 sales are down compared to 2017 and 2016 despite the overall growth of the market.

*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
The Versys 1000 is great but other manufacturers (the competition) are now making their bikes more market desirable with the addition of the latest technology 
This is the point IMO.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
I fully understand why new technology comes into play here. I will accept heated grips , just as I accepted ABS. But stuff like cruise control, TFT dash, more engine modes, and more weight would do nothing to make a bike more desirable to me. Be careful what you wish for with new technology and extra gadgets. With them comes a label with a bigger price tag. Now if the big K built a basic bike, then had a massive extras list, maybe they could please everyone.

I take your point Geoff,      :028:        However manufacturers need sales, (especially in the 'Adventure bike' segment) it's how they exist, and the Versys 1000, no longer offers competition to other makes/models regarding OEM specification, this fact alone will cost mother Kawasaki lots of sales.  There will always be a parallel market where new developments/specification doesn't offer any appeal, but I do think that that is a diminishing area.

The other point is that what was a new and possibly 'needless' feature a couple of years ago is now considered by much of the market as being essential .... another case of Evolution not Revolution.

These days I see more and more Cafe style or scrambler style bikes which apart from ABS etc., don't seem to offer as many of today's new features, maybe that's the way that segment of the market is heading..... for the moment at least    :001:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]

I take your point Geoff,      :028:        However manufacturers need sales, (especially in the 'Adventure bike' segment) it's how they exist, and the Versys 1000, no longer offers competition to other makes/models regarding OEM specification, this fact alone will cost mother Kawasaki lots of sales.  There will always be a parallel market where new developments/specification doesn't offer any appeal, but I do think that that is a diminishing area.

The other point is that what was a new and possibly 'needless' feature a couple of years ago is now considered by much of the market as being essential .... another case of Evolution not Revolution.

These days I see more and more Cafe style or scrambler style bikes which apart from ABS etc., don't seem to offer as many of today's new features, maybe that's the way that segment of the market is heading..... for the moment at least    :001:   
Yes I agree with all you say Rog. And that is why bikes from, shall we say "the last generation", are all lots of folk can actually afford to buy.

We already have lots of latest generation adventure type bikes with price tags way in excess of 15 grand. And at that price they have eliminated me from the market.

Funnily enough Rog, the one bike that seems to be very prevalent on the Dales roads this summer is the new Royal Enfield Himalayan. Which is a basic as it gets, and 4 grand on the road brand new, and I can see why.

Lots of folk are fed up with the endless game of manufacturers fitting gizmo's and gadgets to new bikes, most of which (to me) are of dubious benefit to the joy and safety of riding a motorbike. And the end result is that lots of people are being priced out of the market.

Furthermore, if Kawasaki gave the new Versys (when it comes) all the standard equipment that riders are asking for, would this guarantee a sales success  :question:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:17:13 PM by 100milesaway »
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Recent Topics