Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Off throttle/on throttle  (Read 457 times)

Offline itlives

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Doyline
Off throttle/on throttle
« on: August 13, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »
Changed my rear tire yesterday for an upcoming trip.  I noticed with the bike in gear,  I can rock the chain on the front sprocket back and forth an inch or so.  The main shaft has some free play.  Is that normal? 
I would think if that free play weren't there,  it would be a lot smoother on gear shifts.
Hope this makes sense.  Thanks - Mike

Online Kawafour

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Jacksonville Florida
Re: Off throttle/on throttle
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 01:38:59 AM »
That play is mainly in the shift dogs. They are collars with protrusions which are moved by the shift forks that slide on the grooved gear shafts that engage the proper gear to the shaft, (remember the gears are constantly meshed). If the dogs had a precision fit rather than a loose one it would cause slow shifting or missed shifts as these parts try to achieve a precise fit. The play can be felt when the throttle is rolled off and on without any clutching or shifting taking place.

Offline itlives

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Doyline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
Thanks for the educated explanation to the uneducated!

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kawafour [+]
That play is mainly in the shift dogs. They are collars with protrusions which are moved by the shift forks that slide on the grooved gear shafts that engage the proper gear to the shaft, (remember the gears are constantly meshed). If the dogs had a precision fit rather than a loose one it would cause slow shifting or missed shifts as these parts try to achieve a precise fit. The play can be felt when the throttle is rolled off and on without any clutching or shifting taking place.

Now I know why my boss only wanted pictures not reports :008:

Recent Topics