Top Posters Today

TYKE TYKE
2 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 or Road 4 GT?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
Re: Michelin Road 5 or Road 4 GT?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 11:28:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by powerfulpete [+]
there is a thread on here that a set of pr5s lasted around 3000 miles
That may be my thread from 2 months ago....I destroyed a set in just under 3k miles and my buddies lasted not much more....but to be fair, it was on a ~2600 mile trip up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway.... we are  doing the same trip in about 3 more weeks with a different brand of tire so we shall see how they hold up and  that will tell the real story......

Offline nickw6666

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »
Just an update, I've fitted new Michelin Road 5 tyres front and rear and have found them to be superb.

I think my inexperience led me to keep my previous tyres too long as they were quite a bit squared off, so fitting new tyres, any tyres, would show a big improvement anyway, but I'm massively impressed with the Road 5's.

The new tyres have ally transformed the bikes handling..
 :759:

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 08:13:17 AM »
Agree with the crowd that GTs not required for the V1.  I've run numerous sets of PR4s and generally get 7k-10k miles.  (I don't understand people that burn through tires in 3k miles.)  I'd probably go for the 5's next, but I happen to have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s sitting in the garage that I'm going to give a go. 

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
I agree, the GT version of this tyre is designed for a heavier bike
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by hobzinho [+]
Agree with the crowd that GTs not required for the V1.  I've run numerous sets of PR4s and generally get 7k-10k miles.  (I don't understand people that burn through tires in 3k miles.)  I'd probably go for the 5's next, but I happen to have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s sitting in the garage that I'm going to give a go.

someone who tools around is going to get way more miles from tires than someone who rides aggressively.

The more you demand from the tires, the faster they wear out....there's not really much to understand.

I have 2 buddies who ran  RS3s..one guy loves them,one guy did not...the one who did not said they got greasy on him at about 3500 miles...he rides very aggressively... he is the same guy who burned through a set of Road 5s with me down in North Carolina....so take that for what it's worth..the RS3 may be just fine for you...it all depends on your style of riding 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:38:17 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
someone who tools around is going to get way more miles from tires than someone who rides aggressively.

The more you demand from the tires, the faster they wear out....there's not really much to understand.

I have 2 buddies who ran  RS3s..one guy loves them,one guy did not...the one who did not said they got greasy on him at about 3500 miles...he rides very aggressively... he is the same guy who burned through a set of Road 5s with me down in North Carolina....so take that for what it's worth..the RS3 may be just fine for you...it all depends on your style of riding

I get that.  My comment wasn't meant to be quite as dull-headed as it sounded. I know I'm not the most aggressive rider out there but I'm also not just a "tool around" kind of rider either.  Part of it may be that I ride a lot - not just banging the twisties on the weekends but every day commuting and just getting around. That, around here, means a lot of freeway miles. But time permits I do hit those backroads pretty hard.  Who knows.  Personally I'm happy not to have to change tires every 3k-4k miles as it would be about every 3 months. No Judgement in my statement though.

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]

Have to agree 100 %   Like i stated i run PR4 GT on my 2015 V1 ..the bike is used for touring usually two up with full gear , sometimes rider only and then much more aggressively. i have now 8900 km on them and they are near done probaly 1000 km left in them.. I went with the GT because i felt the bike would generally be loaded and tire duration was important , the PR4 was available but i thought to go with a stiffer side wall GT  even though the V1 is considered a lighter bike that what the GT was designed for ....glad i did i have had no issues the ride is compliant and stable. i have noticed that the handling now is a bit greasy but they are worn and all in all i am happy with the performance .
Tire selection as Crosshairs has stated is entirely based on what you use the bike for, and you cannot base anything on what others proclaim as they ride, weigh , and use the bike for ..especially on a bike as versatile as a V1  .
I may try the the 5 next but the GT has performed so ..... :notsure:   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:52:05 PM by Keener »

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by hobzinho [+]
I get that.  My comment wasn't meant to be quite as dull-headed as it sounded. I know I'm not the most aggressive rider out there but I'm also not just a "tool around" kind of rider either.  Part of it may be that I ride a lot - not just banging the twisties on the weekends but every day commuting and just getting around. That, around here, means a lot of freeway miles. But time permits I do hit those backroads pretty hard.  Who knows.  Personally I'm happy not to have to change tires every 3k-4k miles as it would be about every 3 months. No Judgement in my statement though.

Yeah, Im mounting new tires at least every 3 months..the last set lasted 3 weeks....the ones Im running now will probably be on the bike for 6 weeks.... which is exactly why I bought a tire machine...:)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:54:09 PM by Crosshairs »

Recent Topics