uralrob
2 Posts
weljo2001 weljo2001
1 Posts
TYKE TYKE
1 Posts
TallyRex
1 Posts

Author Topic: Michelin Road 5 or Road 4 GT?  (Read 6709 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Michelin Road 5 or Road 4 GT?
Reply #30 on: April 07, 2020, 08:53:11 AM
"13000 miles" from a rear tyre, blimey, that's amazing  :033:     

I couldn't achieve that... no way
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
Reply #31 on: April 07, 2020, 05:57:00 PM
13000 miles (20900 kms) is impossible here, too much curves and too much HP on the bike!
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 02:03:03 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
"13000 miles" from a rear tyre, blimey, that's amazing  :033:     

I couldn't achieve that... no way
Peter did 14000 miles on his MK1, on An Avon Storm 3D XM.  Even I was amazed.
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 04:53:08 AM
*Originally Posted by weljo2001 [+]
I went through 2 sets of the PR4-GT's on my FJR. I have the Road 5's on my V-1k and I'm really happy with them.BTW i weigh just over 300lbs. So for the Versys 1K a GT is not needed.

:762:

Thanks Weljo. Just got back from a 2200 mile trip. Hit 9900 miles on my Versys 'Shamu' and ready for some new rubber. Got the entire 9900 out of the stock Bridgestone Battlax front. Picked up a nail in the rear Battlax in the first month of owning the bike at just 1200 miles. Replaced the rear with a Michelin Road 5 non GT but kept the front Battlax. So got 9900 miles out of the front Battlax and 8700 miles on the rear Michelin Road 5.

I've heard it may not be best to mix and match front and rear tire models or brands, or..... that it just does not matter. I decided to try the 'not matter' path between 1200 mi and 9900 mi or for 8700 miles of bliss with Shamu's and my mismatched set. Probably wouldn't need to do that again, but if I had to mix and match brands for the long term I would not be nervous to do it again my experience was that uneventful. Who knows, maybe I should be dead now.

But the whole set needs replacement and was happy with the Michelin Road 5 rear. Got 8700 miles from it so the only question was whether to get the GT or not. Question answered. A quick search and I see your post that the V1K's weight does not warrant the GT. I only ride one up and fully loaded to tour am somewhere south of 900 pounds... even though this Covid thing has me 20 lbs north of where I was in the ides of March.

:763:
Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 05:19:51 AM by TQ_PDX

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 01:12:33 AM
*Originally Posted by TQ_PDX [+]
:762:

Thanks Weljo. Just got back from a 2200 mile trip. Hit 9900 miles on my Versys 'Shamu' and ready for some new rubber. Got the entire 9900 out of the stock Bridgestone Battlax front. Picked up a nail in the rear Battlax in the first month of owning the bike at just 1200 miles. Replaced the rear with a Michelin Road 5 non GT but kept the front Battlax. So got 9900 miles out of the front Battlax and 8700 miles on the rear Michelin Road 5.

I've heard it may not be best to mix and match front and rear tire models or brands, or..... that it just does not matter. I decided to try the 'not matter' path between 1200 mi and 9900 mi or for 8700 miles of bliss with Shamu's and my mismatched set. Probably wouldn't need to do that again, but if I had to mix and match brands for the long term I would not be nervous to do it again my experience was that uneventful. Who knows, maybe I should be dead now.

But the whole set needs replacement and was happy with the Michelin Road 5 rear. Got 8700 miles from it so the only question was whether to get the GT or not. Question answered. A quick search and I see your post that the V1K's weight does not warrant the GT. I only ride one up and fully loaded to tour am somewhere south of 900 pounds... even though this Covid thing has me 20 lbs north of where I was in the ides of March.

:763:

:152: :152:
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 04:00:31 AM
Installed front and rear Michelin Road 5's. After a mounting SNAFU they are now on and happy.

Honestly I think all new tires are going to make a bike feel great but I had no idea how much it would. Can't say Road 5's are the bees knees because my tire experience is limited. But it is hard to imagine the bike feeling any better underneath me, especially in the corners with another tire.

And was able to get 8700 miles out of the rear Road 5 that was installed after nail puncture in the OEM Battlax. 

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 08:58:38 PM
After running PR3s and PR4s for years on previous bikes (FZ1 and FJR), I installed Road 5s (non GT) earlier this year.

6500 miles later the rear is down to the wear bars.  I could probably get another few rides out of it, and the front would probably be good for another thousand miles or so, but I'm going to replace both with another set of the same tomorrow.   They seem to handle great.  I wish they would have lasted longer but that's probably more due to my heavy right hand and hot Texas chip seal roads.  I don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it, so I may be throwing some money away at these, but I like the handling enough that I don't care.  They get my vote.

Offline foolofsand

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: las vegas
Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 10:51:10 PM
tires tires tires--same old question--been riding for 60 yrs and I still just buy the cheapest set (quality) i can find on sale--usually get
6k on rear and 10k on front from any of them--had michelin, parelli, dunlop, avon and bridgestone--they all good--buy the ones on sale and save a bundle

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #38 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:13 AM
Motorcycle safety is all about confidence and feel. I come out of my house and pretty much go straight onto several roundabouts, and when they are wet they are lethal. The only tyres I have found that warm up quick enough to give me confidence are Michelins or Metzeler's so I stick with them, regardless of price.

Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:55:33 AM by markymark11
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #39 on: July 07, 2020, 10:45:59 AM
*Originally Posted by foolofsand [+]
tires tires tires--same old question--been riding for 60 yrs and I still just buy the cheapest set (quality) i can find on sale--usually get
6k on rear and 10k on front from any of them--had michelin, parelli, dunlop, avon and bridgestone--they all good--buy the ones on sale and save a bundle

Different riders have differing road conditions and riding habits/circumstances, feeling confident with your choice of tyre is important  :169:

I know that tyres are much discussed on many forums, but then so is oil, seats, screens etc.,  :001:       
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

waggish