Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Xmax 300 update  (Read 439 times)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Xmax 300 update
« on: September 09, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »
Well out past first service now... I installed a Givi touring screen -- a very tall thing -- with side sections that reach past the body work to provide the equivalent of hand guards. At 6'3" I still had to remove 2 1/2in to see comfortably over the top of the massive chunk of curved perspex... a nasty hand-cramping job with a coping saw. This will be great when cold weather hits. The air movement behind it is similar to the Versys with the Airflow screen: light turbulence without buffeting.

The small but smooth engine, CVT and brakes are a pure pleasure to ride. Having fully acclimated to the simplified controls, the amount of freed-up attention and connection to the outside environment is remarkable. I can operate the scooter with very refined smoothness and control with almost no thought of tending to the bike itself. I would describe the result as a dramatic increase in safety margins and "ahead-of-the-bikeness-at-all-times." The maneuverability at any speed is amazing. It allows a quick u-turn on even narrow streets and instant precise lane placement, obstacle avoidance, etc..

The ease of operation and controllability could encourage complacency, which I am resolved not to fall into.

The large under seat storage is coming in ever so handy. The LED headlamps are piercing with fine night illumination of the road and in daytime are un-missable. I was worried about not being seen on a scooter but have not had the slightest incident of someone overlooking me in traffic. In general, this thing is proving to be a brilliant little bike. These first came out in the early 2000s, and are now a well worked out machine. I missed out on all the teething pains, apparently.

I'm still madly loving my V1K, but the Vulcan 900 is starting to be a little bit neglected.  :034:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Xmax 300 update
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
It's really good to hear that you are enjoying your scooter Sonny and its clear that represents an efficient alternative.  :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
Break-in out of the way and the motor feeling good, I did a couple of hours of 65-70mph highway / freeway riding the other day. I was once again surprised to find the scooter rock steady and comfortable. It takes around 6K rpm to hold 70mph; at that speed the engine remains smooth and non-buzzy and you can't really hear it in the wind and ambient noise. I tried banging the grips to see if any sort of small wheel wobble could be induced; it couldn't. The thing rides like a stable motorcycle. I have heard that carving twisties at that speed can feel a bit sketchy. Haven't had an opportunity to do that yet. But spirited turning on country roads at 50 and 60mph is orderly and confidence-inspiring. I have no worries about going anywhere on the DFW freeways on it, may run the 200mi down to Austin to see my son and old friends with the bike.

So far, so good with the thing. And I agree with Dogslow, the riding is fun.  :scooter:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:06:07 AM »
 :37:   Sounds like ....you have found your mistress  :001:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »
Sounds like the scoot is ticking some boxes Sonny and, as ever, great to read your report  :002: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
I have just now learned more about the "Blue Core" technology used in the Yam engine. I thought it referred to a cylinder coating process. Well: no, or that's just one of many features. It is a top-to-bottom tweak and redesign of the engine. Of particular interest is the offset cylinder design, wherein at piston TDC the crank is already several degrees past its own TDC, so that the combustion force meets a lower-resistance  opposing force at the crank... in other words when the combustion spike hits, the con rod is already on the way down and the crankshaft bearing absorbs less of the force. There is also different intake valve timing above 6K rpm, a roller bearing used in the rocker arm, a bunch of stuff. The result is a very smooth, efficient, cool running and power-enhanced 300cc thumper concealed down under the bodywork. It feels different and works well with scooter CVT, though the package is used on other Yam engines as well.  This is a short video summary; more is available with a search:

Internal combustion engine tech has been incrementally improved for well over a century now, and it seems there is always something that can be done to make it a little bit better...

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Internal combustion engine tech has been incrementally improved for well over a century now, and it seems there is always something that can be done to make it a little bit better...

I remember when I got a Suzuki Tempter 650 back in the '80s they were promoting their new "twin swirl combustion chamber" and I thought, yeah, I can feel it! Are these things all projection and the power of suggestion working on the buyer? No they're not. The improvement either is or isn't measurable on the dyno and in the fuel consumption numbers. It's the tale of the tape in the end.

Offline Dogslow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Stockton on tees
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
Hello All,
            a friend of mine just acquired a xmax 300  and he has just returned from the united states of Europe.He travelled out on the ferry from Hull overnight once over tother side he did 1400 miles in six days Holland Germany Denmark.In the company of FJR 1300's  they all kept to about 70 mph when suitable they had panniers top box's fully loaded.Everything he took went under the seat and returned a nice 96mpg whilst having a lot of comfortable fun.Certainly an alternative to think of especially when you are manhandling a barge( :008:) backwards off the centre stand.He missed his Tracer 900 on the motorways for about two seconds(his words)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:27:06 PM by Dogslow »

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
I hope we're not belaboring the point, but anyone not interested can ignore the thread. But you know, with any vehicle you use it and take its measure and soon figure out what's to like and not like about it. And these little Xmaxes are a good and useful machine, no kidding.

A scooter is a humble thing. A 300cc thumper is a humble displacement. But the implementation of everything is so good that the package really works a charm.

I took Cathi for a good long ride last weekend, and when we got back and I was putting up the scooter she said, "You know what, Sonny?"

"What's that, love of my life?"

"That automatic transmission is terrific. That was the most enjoyable ride I've ever had on the back of a bike... everything was perfectly smooth and seamless. I really like that thing a lot."

This from a woman who has suffered through my learning curve shifting and braking the V1K... all blame is on me, but there was some abrupt acceleration and helmet banging that made her nervous at the outset, and as I have gotten smoother with it her discomfort hasn't all gone away.

By comparison the Xmax experience is smooth sailing with no surprises. The little thing gets the job done with style.  :scooter:

Recent Topics