Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trouble downshifting at stop  (Read 941 times)

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
Trouble downshifting at stop
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:20:26 PM »
I havent gotten an answer from the dealer on this so I figured I would fly it on here.

So I have about 26xx miles or so on my 2016 Versys 1000 and Ive noticed an issue with the gearshift. When Im moving, I have zero problems shifting but if I come to a stop before downshifting to first, it wont let me. The lever moves but theres never the ::clunk:: and it never changes gears. When I let the clutch out slightly and you can feel it start to reach the friction point, it will shift but nothing with the clutch fully engaged.

I usually downshift before coming to a stop so I only recently noticed this, but Im not sure if its been that way since new. Should I be worried?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:22:53 PM by DrGonzo615 »

Online Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Re: Trouble downshifting at stop
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:59 AM »
Hi,

You bike can't be more normal. Rare are the shift box that you can use standing still. The shifter will work when the gears are in motion. This is why, when engin is off, you often have to rock the bike back and forth to free the gears some time.

All my bikes do the same. Espacilly old ones with some play in the gears

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:01:32 AM »
With the engine running you should be able to shift down to first and then neutral.you won't be able to go from neutral to second unless the rear wheel is spinning. It's kawasaki positive neutral finder system, or whatever it's called. It's to make it easier to find neutral.

Online Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:08:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
With the engine running you should be able to shift down to first and then neutral.you won't be able to go from neutral to second unless the rear wheel is spinning. It's kawasaki positive neutral finder system, or whatever it's called. It's to make it easier to find neutral.

Agreed, but not that easy if you come to a full stop with 3rd, 4th... engaged.

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 06:18:21 AM »
Must admit I sometimes do the same but should still be able to shift to first, sometimes you might have to let the clutch out slightly to get the gears turning , then it will shift to first. , Sounds normal to me.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
Must admit I sometimes do the same but should still be able to shift to first, sometimes you might have to let the clutch out slightly to get the gears turning , then it will shift to first. , Sounds normal to me.

Correctamundo

I'm not sure if the O.P has covered 26XX miles or 26,000, either way I would have thought that this would be a feature that he/she would now be familiar with   :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
So I have about 26xx miles or so on my 2016 Versys 1000 and Ive noticed an issue with the gearshift. When Im moving, I have zero problems shifting but if I come to a stop before downshifting to first, it wont let me. The lever moves but theres never the ::clunk:: and it never changes gears. When I let the clutch out slightly and you can feel it start to reach the friction point, it will shift but nothing with the clutch fully engaged.

That describes my bike to a 'T', same as my Versys 650 before it and my Goldwing and the one before that etc.    Normal behaviour in my view.

DAve T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »
I consider it a fairly common behavior. A bit of clutch friction lines up the dogs and shift forks properly and you're all set. It can help in finding neutral, too.  :notsure:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
Well just for a little background, Ive pretty much exclusively ridden sport bikes before the Versys and my Ducati 1098 I could downshift at a stop with no issues. I havent noticed this "issue" until the last few hundred miles or so because 99.9% of the time, I downshift before I get to the stop.

Good to know that this is normal though :031:

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 02:30:11 AM »
it's normal. Good rides  :031:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Recent Topics