Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trouble downshifting at stop  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Trouble downshifting at stop
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
As has been said this is normal behaviour. With a car gearbox you can get exactly the same, in my case most often when trying to engage reverse which doesnít have synchromesh. It happens when the dogs canít engage cleanly at a standstill. Easing the clutch in slightly will move some of the gears and bring them into alignment to engage. Itís happened with every bike Iíve ever owned.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline Fastline

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 998 Ducati, r1150rt
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
I have seen there are lots of posts on other forums, where people are drilling the inner clutch basket to get better lubrication on the clutch, most report better shifting of the gears.
There are quiet a few z1000 bikes having this mod.
Does anyone know if the stock inner basket has holes or not.

Offline Komboloi

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
I would just like to point out that the OP should not be concerned if this seems to be a new phenomenon on his V1K or peculiar to this bike in his experience. 

Sometimes everything is lined up when you stop, and the clutch doesn't need to be partially engaged to shift; sometimes they aren't, and a tiny bit of clutch engagement is needed.  I sometimes go weeks without needing to let the clutch out a bit to downshift at a stop on the V1K. 

And some bike transmissions are just smoother shifting.  My K75 transmission is notoriously "kalunky" and requires some clutch release nearly every time when trying to downshift at a stop.  Other bikes have almost never required it.  The V1K seems to be kind of middle of the road.
1995 BMW K75
2015 Versys 1000 LT
2018 SYM Fiddle III 200i

Recent Topics