Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil filter - 2 questions  (Read 1489 times)

Offline tall-mike

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: san diego
Re: Oil filter - 2 questions
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
I was wondering with the numerous oil filter changes performed, do you find metal shavings on your magnetic plugs?

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 06:49:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by tall-mike [+]
I was wondering with the numerous oil filter changes performed, do you find metal shavings on your magnetic plugs?

On my magnetic plug and the magnet on my re-usable oil filter all i ever get is a greasy looking smudge on them....
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
Even the considerable metal in the break-in oil is fine as flour. I think of it this way: a metal particle small enough to pass through the filter will continue circulating, getting further ground under a cam lobe, piston ring or bearing until it is basically a molecule or two harmlessly suspended in the oil. Aluminum is far softer than steel and would hit microscopic size faster. Not that it isn't fine to scavenge some of the ferrous particles onto a magnet. But left in circulation it isn't going to scratch anything... it's more like an insignificantly sized bit of polishing compound keeping bearing surfaces shiny.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics

waggish